What are your favorite "Iowa" sayings...

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
Way back in the day I interviewed for a job in Minneapolis and they gave me a goody-bag with Minnesota related items, this book was included and it is pretty funny. A lot of crossover with Iowa.

shopping

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Forgot about "toasted cheese." That's what we called it at home and how our school menu always had it. I don't think I heard "grilled cheese" until I went "up t' college."

That's right there with so many I notice in Iowa saying "ng-kay" or "nn-kay" instead of "okay". So odd.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Yet another I tend to associate with Iowa — when someone asks directions: "You're gonna wanna turn left up there at the corner..."

I get funny looks here whenever I lapse into calling it a "lane" instead of a driveway.

My spousal gets annoyed when I refer to the Indiana Toll Road as "the interstate." I try to explain to her, toll road and turnpike are subsets of the entire "umbrella" of the U.S. interstate highway system. It does notgood. Usually, she responds with, "Could you just talk like a normal person?" :)

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
My grandparents (SE Iowa) were very old fashioned and said "Davenport" (couch) and "Rubbers" (rubber pull-over boots).

Grandma also occasionally would call pulling a prank or telling a joke "pulling boners." o_O

Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
On the topic of clothing names, my 5th & 6th-grade social studies teacher called coats "wraps." "Be sure you put on your wraps before you go outside!"

My dad often called pants "trousers," usually in reference to dress slacks. He referred to jeans more often as pants, instead of jeans.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
On discussing a slow moving person or object, You need to sight him up to a post. My Dads favorite," He doesn't know enough to pour warm #### out of his boots."

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
My favorite is when your talking about a farm and it's nicknamed donnies 40 or the old Jensen place - the guy it's named after died 30 years ago

Dad and I still give my mom grief for stuff like this when we visit her side of the family in Tama County.

I would say 90% of these are more farmerisms than Iowa things. Growing up in CR and we have some of these but I have noticed most of them on people that grew up in the country.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I was in Texas (Houston) during a rainy spell. I went into a shoe store and asked if they had any rubbers.
The clerk directed me to the drug store down the road. Really.

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I was in Texas (Houston) during a rainy spell. I went into a shoe store and asked if they had any rubbers.
The clerk directed me to the drug store down the road. Really.

"No no for my shoes!"

Clerk: :eek:

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
If I recall, aren't "taverns" a northwest Iowa thing? I hadn't heard that until working on a hog operation in Sanborn, and it seemed that term was only in that part of the state.

Taverns, Sloppy Joes, and Maidrites

My wife and I found this out a few years ago. We're from NW Ia and have some friends from Boone and NE Iowa (we all live in Des Moines now) and we invited them over because my mother in law brought down some tavern meat from Bobs. Both had no idea what we were talking about.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
This one just popped into my head today. Our neighbor just mowed this morning. There has been almost no rain for 3 weeks and the grass is basically yellow. When another neighbor noticed it had been mowed and said sarcastically, "I'm sure it needed it." I could hear in my head my grandmother on my father's side responding with, "Like fun!" Which basically means "no kidding."

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
My grandpa used to call the TV remote a "clicker" and a few of my aunts and uncles still do. Don't know if its an Iowa thing or not, but I catch myself saying it every once in awhile, much to the dismay of those around me.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Way back in the day I interviewed for a job in Minneapolis and they gave me a goody-bag with Minnesota related items, this book was included and it is pretty funny. A lot of crossover with Iowa.

shopping

All you need to learn Minnesotan is to watch the movie "Fargo".

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
My grandpa used to call the TV remote a "clicker" and a few of my aunts and uncles still do. Don't know if its an Iowa thing or not, but I catch myself saying it every once in awhile, much to the dismay of those around me.

The first remote control TV's were controlled by a device that made an actual clicking noise.
The tuners were mechanical and generally were programmed for the 3 or 4 VHF channels you could receive in your area. So for Central IA you would have it programmed for 5, 8 and 13.

You could turn on the tv with the remote/clicker and it would go to 5. Then you could click it again and it would go to 8. Next click 13. Then if you clicked it again it would go to OFF. Click it again and 5. Circular - as the tuner just rotated mechanically.

Sometimes other sounds could make it change. I can't remember any specific things that did it but maybe rattling keys?

Bottom line, early TV remotes actually emitted a clicking sound, so 'clicker' was a natural name for them. Also, probably not just an Iowa thing.

Edit: Brought to you by an old person. You're welcome. "Tell me more about the good old days, Grandpa!" LOL

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
The first remote control TV's were controlled by a device that made an actual clicking noise.
The tuners were mechanical and generally were programmed for the 3 or 4 VHF channels you could receive in your area. So for Central IA you would have it programmed for 5, 8 and 13.

You could turn on the tv with the remote/clicker and it would go to 5. Then you could click it again and it would go to 8. Next click 13. Then if you clicked it again it would go to OFF. Click it again and 5. Circular - as the tuner just rotated mechanically.

Sometimes other sounds could make it change. I can't remember any specific things that did it but maybe rattling keys?

Bottom line, early TV remotes actually emitted a clicking sound, so 'clicker' was a natural name for them. Also, probably not just an Iowa thing.

Edit: Brought to you by an old person. You're welcome. "Tell me more about the good old days, Grandpa!" LOL

The first remote I ever saw was mechanical and actually turned the old channel knob to the next channel. More of a ka-chuck ka-chunk sound than a click. This was way old.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
The first remote I ever saw was mechanical and actually turned the old channel knob to the next channel. More of a ka-chuck ka-chunk sound than a click. This was way old.

Yes, the television tuner made the clunka clunka sounds. The remote made the clicking sound.
The first one I remember seeing in real life was mid 70's. The contractor family I worked for in the summers when I was in college had one. Then a few years later my brother had one.

Last edited: