What are your favorite "Iowa" sayings...

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I do too, but I might say "opes" (pronounced "oops, right?)

Also, I don't know if this is a me thing, an Iowa thing, or a pretty much everywhere, but "can you pass me the X"." I just had a friend from New England in college who just didn't really like that because it was grammatically incorrect.

Who cares if it's grammatically correct, as soon as you get that X, it's a party, man.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
In Oklahoma EVERYTHING soda is a "coke"
My in laws would ask "Do you want a Dr Pepper coke or a 7-up coke? "

If you want a Coke brand you had to ask for Coca Cola.

I discovered this on a business trip to Georgia and Alabama. I was asked if I wanted a Coke, and when I replied in the affirmative, I was further asked, "Well, what kind?" Took me a few minutes to process this.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Ooooh, "tavern" is an excellent example. It took me until a few years in college before I made the transition to "sloppy joe."

Even so, mentally, I think a tavern tastes better than a sloppy joe. Probably because I liked the way my mom made it.

If I recall, aren't "taverns" a northwest Iowa thing? I hadn't heard that until working on a hog operation in Sanborn, and it seemed that term was only in that part of the state.

Taverns, Sloppy Joes, and Maidrites

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
If I recall, aren't "taverns" a northwest Iowa thing? I hadn't heard that until working on a hog operation in Sanborn, and it seemed that term was only in that part of the state.

Taverns, Sloppy Joes, and Maidrites
Yup, but to me taverns & sloppy joes are more synonymous. To be specific, taverns have Worcestershire sauce as part of the sauce. Sloppy Joes mainly ketchup for sauce. Maid rites to me have no sauce just finely ground, seasoned meat. Still, people use that term for all types as well.
Charlie Boys, up in Sioux City (also goes way, way back) & also Okoboji last couple years (Miles) is a spicy maid rite usually in a steamed bun. Great with their frosted schooners.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
My dad had 2 names for "boots," in addition to plain-ol' boots.
1. Overshoes (mainly the buckle-up variety for use w/ work-shoes, either for winter purpose or hog-chores).
2. Rubbers (usually reference to slip-ons for dress shoes.)

For us, rubbers were the slip-on rubbery ankle boots with two flimsy buckles that you put over your work boots.

They were a fairly stupid design, really. If you were putting them on, chances are you were stepping in ****. The extra time it took to put on proper boots was well worth it when the alternative was possibly stepping in something deep enough to go over the top of those ankle length abominations.

I'd like to say we called them tingleys at some point.

Reactions: cyclones500

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
For us, rubbers were the slip-on rubbery ankle boots with two flimsy buckles that you put over your work boots.

They were a fairly stupid design, really. If you were putting them on, chances are you were stepping in ****. The extra time it took to put on proper boots was well worth it when the alternative was possibly stepping in something deep enough to go over the top of those ankle length abominations.

I'd like to say we called them tingleys at some point.
I'm pretty sure that I've giggled a little bit every time I've heard somebody use the term rubbers to describe a type of footwear.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron