We won’t get Wigginton for four years

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Count me as also sick of Hines. His pretentious, self-absorbed ways will work well for him when his obvious pandering to larger markets comes through for him. I can hardly handle he and Birch's glib responses to fans on Twitter. Why take joy in antagonizing the fan base of the team you cover?

This Wigginton "quote" is a perfect example. What he did is the epitome of taking something out of context. Removing language before and after a clip of text to create an effect is what he did. He needs to own it.

I know sports writers have a very high opinion of their craft. If you ask them, they are out there cracking the Watergate scandal one "tell me about..." at a time. But it is not a difficult profession. Ask questions, record answers, print what you've recorded. Editorialize when the situation dictates. Not difficult stuff.

Yeah, he is all about the click bait and attention. The Wigginton thing was the definition of taking something out of content. Besides, UNI has a bunch of big, physical players with a very purposeful slow pace to their game. The farm boy thing was a little out there, and made me laugh, but I doubt the UNI players or farm boys were insulted. Who knows, maybe a couple of the UNI kids did grow up on the farm. ISU has certainly had a couple farm boys that were outstanding players.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think Hines doesn’t like being in Ames and covering Iowa State. He thinks he is big time and should be in a much bigger market. I also think his tweets indicate that he thinks he’s superior to fans in Iowa

I think his tweets and his interviews make it sound like he thinks he is better than sports. He consistently talks down to sports fans and acts like they are crazy. That's one opinion to have, but he only has a job because there are sports fans. So maybe don't constantly insult your audience.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Not saying he leaves for the pros after this year, as I absolutely don’t think he will. But you can just see the talent just pouring out of him when he’s on the court. There were a couple of plays today and against Iowa where I just shook my head in disbelief at how gifted he is. It’s going to be really exciting seeing how Prohm works with him and gets him to harness it, but I just don’t see him being here all four years before he’s hitting on all cylinders (although I hope I’m wrong and his love for ISU keeps him here through his senior year!)
He is extremely talented. Great player. However, the only possible position he can play in the NBA is point guard due to his height. He is not currently a great point guard. He will develop. So, I think he will likely stay at least 3 years. His Junior year the team will likely be his to run as the point guard. If he has great success he may leave then.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I think his tweets and his interviews make it sound like he thinks he is better than sports. He consistently talks down to sports fans and acts like they are crazy. That's one opinion to have, but he only has a job because there are sports fans. So maybe don't constantly insult your audience.

I think he's having some trouble dealing with his own disrupted plan for the season. After the predictions and the Milwaukee game he was probably all set to have a nice winter writing ISU basketball obituaries and hoping for turmoil he could pounce on. Those plans are likely on hold right now. Poor guy. :rolleyes:

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
I think he's having some trouble dealing with his own disrupted plan for the season. After the predictions and the Milwaukee game he was probably all set to have a nice winter writing ISU basketball obituaries and hoping for turmoil he could pounce on. Those plans are likely on hold right now. Poor guy. :rolleyes:
No near double digit sources for his intended narrative!!

Reactions: BoxsterCy

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Wigginton and Young are NBA ready right now. The critics will be silenced as the conference portion of the schedule comes about. He will only progressively get better. I'd say there is a good chance he bolts after this season.
The only saving grace we have is he is projected as a PG at the next level and he had yet to show full potential at that spot

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
Anyone know what his wingspan is? NBA is switching from a height "requirement" to really being dependent upon wingspan. Donovan Mitchell from Louisville is a 6'3 SG (although he's basically the backup PG as well) and is one of the best rookies in the league. But he has a massive wingspan.

All that being said, I think Lindell stays either 2 or 3 years. As has been discussed ad nausem, he's still got to prove himself through a big leap in talent level in the Big 12 and regardless of his wingspan he does have to be able to become a true combo to get first round consideration in the draft. But he's really shown great shooting form/consistency and his elevation on his shot negates his height disadvantage as a 2-guard on the offensive side.

Regardless, let's enjoy the ride. He's been as good as can be expected for a freshman guard to this point.

Reactions: NWICY

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
Anyone know what his wingspan is? NBA is switching from a height "requirement" to really being dependent upon wingspan. Donovan Mitchell from Louisville is a 6'3 SG (although he's basically the backup PG as well) and is one of the best rookies in the league. But he has a massive wingspan.

All that being said, I think Lindell stays either 2 or 3 years. As has been discussed ad nausem, he's still got to prove himself through a big leap in talent level in the Big 12 and regardless of his wingspan he does have to be able to become a true combo to get first round consideration in the draft. But he's really shown great shooting form/consistency and his elevation on his shot negates his height disadvantage as a 2-guard on the offensive side.

Regardless, let's enjoy the ride. He's been as good as can be expected for a freshman guard to this point.

His height was measured at 6'2" with a 6'3.5" wingspan at the Nike hoop summit this summer. It seems like many draft experts still see him as a 2019/2020 prospect. Some evaluations I've seen really like his athleticism and explosiveness but believe he has a ways to go as far as elevating his teammates. I think someone said earlier in this thread to set the over/under at 2.5 years... That is probably fair.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I think Hines doesn’t like being in Ames and covering Iowa State. He thinks he is big time and should be in a much bigger market. I also think his tweets indicate that he thinks he’s superior to fans in Iowa

This pretty much sums it up. Hines once played high school basketball in the cultural mecca of the Minneapolis metro, so not only are his tastes superior to us lowly Iowans, he also knows FAR more about the game than any of us.

He owes his entire career to Fred Hoiberg and the Iowa State basketball team. Without the success and interesting storylines provided by those teams, he is Bobby LaGesse.

I will give him this. He is a much more talented writer than most of the central Iowa media. But his hipster-wannabe persona is nauseating and his antagonistic attitude toward the program and fans that gave him a platform is pathetic.

Looking back on his Pollard-Hoiberg hit-piece gets more hilarious as the years go by.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
He is extremely talented. Great player. However, the only possible position he can play in the NBA is point guard due to his height. He is not currently a great point guard. He will develop. So, I think he will likely stay at least 3 years. His Junior year the team will likely be his to run as the point guard. If he has great success he may leave then.

I understand this thought process, but disagree with it. This isn’t the nba of the 80s anymore. If you’ve got the talent they like, they’ll find a place for you regardless of height.

Reactions: Ficklone02

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I understand this thought process, but disagree with it. This isn’t the nba of the 80s anymore. If you’ve got the talent they like, they’ll find a place for you regardless of height.
The NBA is quite an elite club. Best athletes in the world. I certainly respect your opinion, but will stick with my prediction.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
This pretty much sums it up. Hines once played high school basketball in the cultural mecca of the Minneapolis metro, so not only are his tastes superior to us lowly Iowans, he also knows FAR more about the game than any of us.

He owes his entire career to Fred Hoiberg and the Iowa State basketball team. Without the success and interesting storylines provided by those teams, he is Bobby LaGesse.

I will give him this. He is a much more talented writer than most of the central Iowa media. But his hipster-wannabe persona is nauseating and his antagonistic attitude toward the program and fans that gave him a platform is pathetic.

Looking back on his Pollard-Hoiberg hit-piece gets more hilarious as the years go by.

Abdelmassih also spoon fed him a ton of info too which helped his career quite a bit IMO

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

What's funny about that story, is I think Hines envisioned that article would be the piece that launched him out of Ames. I'm not sure that it worked as well as he planned.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
He's going to need to work on the FT line stats too

Don't think that's going to be an issue. After missing quite a few in the initial games, he's now at almost 70%. Considering he shot over 80% at Oak Hill his senior year, I think we'll see his FT stats steadily increase to where he's shooting around 80% by the end of the season.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron