Urban Exploring at ISU

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
Yeah, they're down in Dodds, on the first floor of old Hughes Hall (the west end of the building). I can't find the story (I've never seen it online, only heard it orally), but a kid hung himself in the second room on the right.

The DoR placed new residents in there the next semester (without telling anybody what had happened in that room) but they both moved out and dropped out of school after just a few weeks of class. Two more students moved in, and the exact same thing happened. This continued for nearly two years, with multiple students moving into the room, only to move out and drop out of school with little explanation. In the meantime, students in the rooms on either side began to complain of some kind of noise (I think it was really loud thumping, like someone hitting or kicking the walls), and those noises and the complaints intensified as time went on.

Eventually the problems got bad enough that they were widespread legend in the building and on campus, and students started refusing to live in those rooms. The Friley hall director felt like it was being made to look bad, so she(?) very publicly volunteered to spend a full day and night living in that room to prove that it was not haunted. She "moved in" one morning and spent the day doing paperwork with no problems. The next morning, when the 24 hours was to expire, a few students were waiting outside her door for her to wake up and come out. She emerged right on time, but her face was drawn and pale, and she had obviously had not slept and had been crying for a long time. She walked out of the room without a word to anyone standing there, went to her office, packed her things, and quit her job on the spot. After that, those rooms were no longer used for student housing, and aren't to this day. Some of them have been converted into shop space for maintenance, and even they complain about weird stuff that sometimes happens. The three rooms that were most afflicted are completely sealed off and unused.

Has anybody ever heard an approximate year for this story? That's the one thing I've never heard.
Good story...............there was a similar story being told in the early 70s. Usually around a campfire after a hay ride some night near Halloween.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Took the back way to Boone yesterday for my son's basketball game. On the way home after hearing and reading about this Sun Park memorial or whatever it is, we decided to drive by the place. It is an eerie place, with the signs, the rows of trees, the cinder block bunker/foundation/grave; or who knows what is underneath all of it, and the rundown homestead on the other side of the road. Wife and son were kind of freaked out by it to. Just saw an older Dodge truck in the front yard and bunch of empty plastic jugs on the front porch. Just kind of a creepy place.

dstryr

Feb 27, 2011
Des Moines, IA
www.dstryr.com
The arboretum was a cool place to hang out. I used to run my cocker spaniel out there for hours at a time. There are/were old stone benches and walkway out in the middle of the trees which seemed like hadn't been used in decades.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
finally made it to the end of this damn thread....wow theres some good stuff in here. i happened to drive by Sun Park earlier today and its pretty creepy. i dont think my wife really believed that it was true until i showed her. We were gonna stop and look but he was in the ditch picking up trash or something. the only vehicle i saw was an old pickup but other than that it just looked like a run down house. hopefully i can drive by later this week when he's not out and get a better look....not sure if id go look at night though

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
has anyone seen the guy that wears a dress around town? i havent seen him since sometime this summer did he finally start dressing differently

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
has anyone seen the guy that wears a dress around town? i havent seen him since sometime this summer did he finally start dressing differently

I've seen him around this winter in the dress. He is usually around downtown Ames, Starbucks, and Lincoln Way.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Doubt it will ever die until we somehow get some closure on what the heck is going on with Sun Park/Spook.

Just too damn intriguing.

or that poster that said he was gonna go check out some obscure part of Friley and never posted again ...

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
oh ok i was expecting them to be in the ditch so i didnt notice them. this is something we should send the daily writers out to investigate. oh and i looked into iowa cold cases and theres nothing about a little girl(s) from boone county or story county in the 1970s

Status
Not open for further replies.