Urban Exploring at ISU

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Yeah, it has just been the credit generating machine for you, hasn't it? Almost 500 and counting...

:cool:

Not there yet, but I can say I started one of the top ten longest threads (last I knew anyway). And I wasn't even going the direction of the wired sun park with the intent of the thread- that is what makes CF great though.

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
I've seen him around this winter in the dress. He is usually around downtown Ames, Starbucks, and Lincoln Way.
Is this the same guy in a dress that has been around for a quite a while? I remember some guy walking around in a dress semi-regularly when I lived on Lincoln Way near east Hy-Vee back in 2004-2005.

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
Is this the same guy in a dress that has been around for a quite a while? I remember some guy walking around in a dress semi-regularly when I lived on Lincoln Way near east Hy-Vee back in 2004-2005.

Nope that dude is still around and walking around in dresses. Sure was a good time when my son realized for the first time it was a man.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006

I'm sure it is. I've seen him since probably 2003. I've came into our office late (like 11pm) and found him talking on a cell phone kind of laying against the entrance to our office.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
I'm sure it is. I've seen him since probably 2003. I've came into our office late (like 11pm) and found him talking on a cell phone kind of laying against the entrance to our office.

I worked part time as a manager at the Wendy's on the west side when I was at ISU in the early 2000s. The guy in the dress used to come in a few times a week. There was also another weird old guy that wore makeup, woman's sweaters, and painted finger nails. He always hung out with a midget. Really weird.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I worked part time as a manager at the Wendy's on the west side when I was at ISU in the early 2000s. The guy in the dress used to come in a few times a week. There was also another weird old guy that wore makeup, woman's sweaters, and painted finger nails. He always hung out with a midget. Really weird.

There is a professor (at least I think he's a professor) that matches this description. I used to see him all the time at the UDCC when I ate there.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Does anyone know anything about the unexcavated rooms in physics? Just reread this thread on a whim and was wondering about those.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
we used to have to hang out in ames for wrestling practice back in 58 thru 62 during christmas vacation.it would snowing and we got down into the heat tunnel system and discover where all of the heat tunnels went. you would find a man hole and you could pop and find where u were on campus. life was kind of an adventure when u had to stay on campus over christmas vacation. harold nichols would take us to a movie flick on new years eve .then he would host a very good meal at midnight at his home. we all had to sleep on coach nichols floor so that we were not out raising hell on new years eve. we had practice on new years day at least 2x when dr. nichols had us all cornered so we were not raising hell at the downtown pubs.nich was a wonderful man. his wife was very charming,too.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
I spent a lot of time in the steam tunnels in the early 80's. Pulled coax and twisted pair through those darn things two summers.

Had a suite mate that created his own map of them as he and a friend of his were down there all the time.

Cloned92

Nov 9, 2010
Ames, IA
So does anyone know where the "unsecured" entrances are to the tunnels underground? This website has a map of the tunnels and gives some indication of the security, but i dont know how accurate or up to date it is.

PS this is possibly one of the greatest threads of all time

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
I have heard that they have motion sensors at practically all the easy access entrances as well as placed throughout the network now.

Of course they could just be saying that as a deterrent.

Also this is a great thread... one of the first threads I remember reading on this site actually. Stumbled upon it after doing a google search for the shrine.
:smile:

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
So does anyone know where the "unsecured" entrances are to the tunnels underground? This website has a map of the tunnels and gives some indication of the security, but i dont know how accurate or up to date it is.

PS this is possibly one of the greatest threads of all time

That map is pretty accurate. It's missing a lot. You want to stay away from breadshear, it is alarmed and sensor ed. If you even pass next by the entrance you will set off an alarm at dispatch and police will be dispatched. Keep in mind that critters tend to run the tunnels so false alarms are not uncommon, but it's up to you whether you want to risk it.

The other area you don't want to get close to is the Ames Lab. They have armed security guards and it isn't wise to mess with them. I would rather cross the Ames PD or ISU Police because armed security guards can be a little quick to the trigger- not to mention they are older men (quicker to shot then chase). That is as much as my memory serves right now. It's been a long time since I've seen the official map.

Status
Not open for further replies.