UNI/ISU. I hate to say it, but.....(sky falling thread)

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Re: Is anybody else concerned about MBB?

And to think last year I was ragged on for saying when I watch these games, I expect the worst and if something better happens then it is a good night. Otherwise I get what I expected and am not frustrated.....oh the shame for thinking like this.

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX

What happened tonight?

Craig Brackins: Two Points
Garrett/Peterson: Two Point Guards, 8 total points.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa

Seriously though...there are a lot of things wrong with this team and it's not something obvious that you can point to.....just when you think you have it figured out, something else rears its ugly head

redrage

Jul 6, 2006

UNI also has played competitive basketball all summer representing USA in the World games where the team got a chance to run a system and gel before the year started. They are a fairly young but play like a veteran team.

cy1225

Oct 6, 2007
Re: The "sky is falling" thread

How could you say we aren't? We are in year 2 of a new coach who comes in after a coach who changed the identity of ISU in both substance and style of play. I am not here saying McD is going to have us back in the next year or two, he may, he may not but I will say I was not expecting us to be a tourney team in year 2 of the process.

I see you expected Morgan to go to the tournament (which he did in his 2nd year) but not the current coach. Double standard.

C

Cyclone42

"We were just plain outcoached."

I was participating on a different board back then, but those were the exact words used to describe why ISU under Wayne Morgan lost to a UNI team under Greg McDermott. Funny, Greg McDermott was a coaching genius back then. Now that he's our coach, his IQ has suddenly dropped by about 50 points. It's strange what changing schools will do to a guy. I hope it isn't contagious.

Anyway, I think this team just needs to gel. Lots of new players, lots of talent, but we aren't playing as a TEAM. Other teams play in international leagues and stuff over a summer, but I haven't ever seen us to that. Anyone know why not? I know Creighton played in Europe this summer, and someone mentioned that UNI did something similar. We should do the same. It would build experience, especially as a team.

Last edited by a moderator:

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Re: Iowa State is NOT GOOD.

Didn't McD basically build the team that is currently at UNI? How can we validly call him a bad coach simply because he is starting his second season off a little rocky? I'm a little concerned with how strangely poor we sometimes do fundamental things (rebounding) but hopefully things will get taken care of so we don't see as many up and down games like tonight. Let's withhold judgment until after the season is over - it gives the players and coaches one less thing to worry over. I understand that we fans want to talk about the game, but I'm also pretty darned sure the team as a whole knows they need to improve. We, as fans, are supposed to cheer to A] applaud something good; and B] help motivate our players. Let's criticize the refs, other team's players, and other team's fans ever. But let's not criticize our own team, it doesn't help anyone and I would go so far to say it hurts recruiting.

Alrighty, sorry for the preach, had to get it out.

On another note: the radio guys said the basketball was like the football team.
Hopefully they can at least mimic them enough to beat the hawks . . .scoring 3 points at a time ; )

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Five people scored a fieldgoal for us tonight. If Rashon and Wes did not play, we would have scored in the twenties or thirties.

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX

Freshman, Freshman, Sophmore

That's wasn't a comment on their individual performance. Perhaps I should have put it this way:

Leading Scorer: 2 points
Point Guards: 8 points.

You DON'T win games getting 8 points from your PG(s) The fact that they're young is encouraging, but this sort of thing can't happen if we want to win.

Also, Peterson is a Junior

MaxPower57

Mar 30, 2006

You can't expect a team that relies on guys like Bryan Petersen, Sean Haluska, and Alex Thompson to succeed. So don't be pissed when they don't. Our best player just played his first game at less than 100%, and Brackins/Garrett are frosh. With the player turnover from last year there had to be growing pains, just like last year, an GASP maybe even next year. In my opinion, however, which doesn't mean much, this team will be fine.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive

I am very concerned about the program. I do not want to hear system or players leaving or injuries. From the games I have seen this year (I did not see tonight, heard the last 10 minutes on the radio) ISU has been out hustled in every game. The other teams are playing great defense and ISU is not. ISU cannot rebound very well and that comes from hustle, being in position and fundamentals.

Tubby Smith outcoached McDermott, the Bradley coach out did McDermott and from what I have heard UNI's coach out did McDermott, not a good sign for ISU.Yes Cyclone fans there is some trouble brewing in Ames.

Since Pollard pulled the plug on Morgan after 3 years with two of those in post season, does McDermott get the same treatment?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Re: "We were just plain outcoached."

Lost on the 9 for 9 Roscoe free throw shooting that put us in a hole. Who committed all the fouls? Must not have moved their feet.

Last edited:

tufnel

Oct 22, 2006

I am concerned about our rebounding and post play....other than that, its about what I expected. There's NO reason to get outrebounded like that though-its about effort, same as defense. Hope we get it fixed soon....its driving me crazy.