U of I approves beer and wine sales at Kinnick, Carver, etc.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Every study has found that availability of beer in the stadium actually reduces alcohol related problems and arrests because people don't load up before they walk in.

UNI will be in year 4 with beer this fall and you see FAR less police intervention than you used to with drunken idiots.

Plus at $7 for a tall boy it keeps the students more or less out of it. Even little tiny UNI made almost $100k two years ago between football, mbb and wbb.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
In 10 years you can fill half the stadium with the drinkers and the other half with the stoners (assuming it’s legal by then). That’d be one interesting CYCLONE POWER chant.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It will be interesting to see if ISU ever changes their stance on this. The issue I see is that they offer beer and alcohol sales with premium seating with the Sukup End Zone and Johnny's so if you make it available stadium wide it kind of de-values those premium areas because they are no longer as exclusive and especially with the end zone IMO those aren't that great of seats already when it comes to view IMO so why not save some bucks and get seats along the sidelines and still get your beer?

I will not be shocked it it eventually changes since so many schools are going that way but I do wonder if that changes anything with how ticket prices and seating may change as a result too.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I don't really understand why schools don't sell alcohol. I mean, alcohol is probabyl the reason most people tailgate.

And the "binge drinking" excuse has never held water for me. I mean, a third of the commercials during games are beer commercials. The bookstore sells pint and shot glasses.

And in fact, selling beer in the stadium reduces problem drinking because it gives less people reason to load up on beer right before entering the stadium. Sure you can get loaded on $10 beers inside, but not too many do.

SportsFan1

Oct 6, 2020
If they are able to support a local brewery I support it. If they put some crap mass quantity beer on tap I am against it. That is probably a heck of a lot of beer though so I am not even sure a smaller brewery can handle it.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It will be interesting to see if ISU ever changes their stance on this. The issue I see is that they offer beer and alcohol sales with premium seating with the Sukup End Zone and Johnny's so if you make it available stadium wide it kind of de-values those premium areas because they are no longer as exclusive and especially with the end zone IMO those aren't that great of seats already when it comes to view IMO so why not save some bucks and get seats along the sidelines and still get your beer?

I will not be shocked it it eventually changes since so many schools are going that way but I do wonder if that changes anything with how ticket prices and seating may change as a result too.
Sitting in the premium seating and drinking is just one part of the reason to sit there. Those sections also have better food selection, less lines at the RR and the ability to get out of your seat and hobnob around with others.
UT allows beer to be sold at their stadium, they had carts set up for alcohol or you could go to the concession stands, and I saw no problems with it when we were there 3 years ago. Like most pro stadiums they cut off alcohol sales at the end of the 3rd quarter.
ISU should be doing to the same.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
If they are able to support a local brewery I support it. If they put some crap mass quantity beer on tap I am against it. That is probably a heck of a lot of beer though so I am not even sure a smaller brewery can handle it.
Lol this isn't going to be a local brewery thing. It will be Anheuser or MillerCoors

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

I imagine there'll be a mix. They'll have bud\busch light but a few taps for beers like backpocket\big grove. Kind of similar to what you see in the club areas at JTS\hilton.