Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
It's a number of things...
  • As I said all last offseason, people were expecting way too much of him - he was/is fairly raw overall and has little to no Big 12 caliber offense yet. Yet is hopefully key there.
  • He was able to outsize and manhandle kids in high school, he's now playing against guys his own size and with his same athletic gifts.
  • He's had a tough time adjusting to the speed of the game, even in practice.
  • He's had some lingering pain issues for about 3 months now.
  • He's a net loss right now; his struggles to keep up on defense takes away his biggest asset from high school, and without an offense, there's no role for him right now.
  • Coming into the season, the hope was he could be a net positive by the end of the year (maybe 8-10 mins) by adapting quickly on defense and starting to begin the development of creating down low.
He was never going to be an offensive threat this year and people expected way too much from him simply because of his ranking. He's not a typical 5-star in that most that high are there because of their offensive abilities, he was because of his defense and prospects to develop an offense down low. Those haven't happened yet.
I can’t keep up with redshirting rules, but I’m guessing he burned his redshirt this year. Is that correct?

• Haha
Reactions: CyPunch

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
It's a number of things...
  • As I said all last offseason, people were expecting way too much of him - he was/is fairly raw overall and has little to no Big 12 caliber offense yet. Yet is hopefully key there.
  • He was able to outsize and manhandle kids in high school, he's now playing against guys his own size and with his same athletic gifts.
  • He's had a tough time adjusting to the speed of the game, even in practice.
  • He's had some lingering pain issues for about 3 months now.
  • He's a net loss right now; his struggles to keep up on defense takes away his biggest asset from high school, and without an offense, there's no role for him right now.
  • Coming into the season, the hope was he could be a net positive by the end of the year (maybe 8-10 mins) by adapting quickly on defense and starting to begin the development of creating down low.
He was never going to be an offensive threat this year and people expected way too much from him simply because of his ranking. He's not a typical 5-star in that most that high are there because of their offensive abilities, he was because of his defense and prospects to develop an offense down low. Those haven't happened yet.
I got roasted by some people on this board for saying exactly the same thing before this season started. The example that I used was the Arkansas team from last year. They had multiple 5 star recruits but none of them had good season.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I got roasted by some people on this board for saying exactly the same thing before this season started. The example that I used was the Arkansas team from last year. They had multiple 5 star recruits but none of them had good season.
Pre-season realistic predictions are frequently dismissed as pessimistic and disregarded. I think I posted last fall the annual cycle of hype, realistic expectations, results, pessimism, realism, etc.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
To be fair, Anthony Black was decent. 13/5/4 isn't bad at all for a true frosh, ended up being drafted 6th.

Reactions: RezClone

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Harding isn’t that good, reference his games against quality opponents…. Which there really is only 2 or 3 in tiny ten. I think their game against ISU pretty much sums up their talent level/potential
Harding might not be bad. But he should be playing in the Summit, Horizon, or at best the Valley. Much like a lot of Frans all stars over the years.