Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I almost wish they would have won the Xavier Foster sweepstakes. Can only imagine he'd still be starting for them with his career average of 1.5 pts and 0.9 rebounds per game.

I just looked it up, over 3 years of playing, he has a career total of 32 pts between ISU and SMU combined.
Xavier Foster, now there is a blast from the past. The day of his commitment was the biggest roller coaster ride I can ever remember. He trolled both fanbases.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
I almost wish they would have won the Xavier Foster sweepstakes. Can only imagine he'd still be starting for them with his career average of 1.5 pts and 0.9 rebounds per game.

I just looked it up, over 3 years of playing, he has a career total of 32 pts between ISU and SMU combined.
Perhaps the biggest bust in Iowa HS recruiting

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
It is so weird to me that Iowa fans always make excused for Fran's recruiting or lack there of. If he doesn't get top HS recruits its because he doesn't cheat and he can't get transfers because they don't have a ton of NIL money. There are programs like Iowa that pull in transfers. To me it is clear Fran doesn't like the portal and he would rather hang on to his recruits even if they are busts for 4 years than push them out and upgrade the roster. They could have been a tournament team if the just pushed a couple guys out and brought in even halfway decent guards.

Reactions: 1776

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Perhaps the biggest bust in Iowa HS recruiting
I had a bad feeling about him being a bust but was hoping for the best. I watched him multiple times when he was at Osky. Not much hustle, had a decent jump shot but just not aggressive at all. At his size and athletic ability in 3A Iowa high school basketball he should have been putting up 40ppg and at least 15rpg easily.

• Agree
Reactions: g4ce

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I had a bad feeling about him being a bust but was hoping for the best. I watched him multiple times when he was at Osky. Not much hustle, had a decent jump shot but just not aggressive at all. At his size and athletic ability in 3A Iowa high school basketball he should have been putting up 40ppg and at least 15rpg easily.

I was much the same way. Was extremely unimpressed watching him live but figured evaluators knew what they were talking about. I guess when you prioritize potential, it makes sense. But not seeing him live up to that potential doesn't exactly surprise me either, when you saw how unmotivated he looked in high school.

Reactions: ClonesTwenty1

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
The biggest difference is that Omaha actually likes basketball.
What’s the word been about him? Is he in the doghouse, injured or just not ready for this level of basketball yet? I do understand ISU is really good this year, so minutes are tough to go around, but he hasn’t even seen the court in over a month now.

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
What’s the word been about him? Is he in the doghouse, injured or just not ready for this level of basketball yet? I do understand ISU is really good this year, so minutes are tough to go around, but he hasn’t even seen the court in over a month now.
I don't think anyone has bothered to ask. Right @ChrisMWilliams ?

I kid I kid. I have no idea but I do know that every time he's been on the court it just looks like the game is moving too fast for him. Also heard some rumors of back issues. I personally believe he'll still be a pretty big contributor somewhere, hopefully at ISU.

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
I'm guessing the number of Top 75 recruits that went on to score a total of only 32 pts in their college career is countable on one hand.
I just looked up his reference page and he scored 8 and 10 points against Iowa and Kansas St that December before shutting it down for the year.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Woodbury maybe? In recent memory. About to be Omaha if he doesn’t get his **** together in the next couple years.

Not even close. Woodbury was a solid 4 year starter.

Emarion Ellis and DJ Carton stick out over the last 5 or so years.

Absolutely not on Carton either. He averaged 12 PPG over 2 years. Ended poorly but that happens.

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks and Jer

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
It's a number of things...
  • As I said all last offseason, people were expecting way too much of him - he was/is fairly raw overall and has little to no Big 12 caliber offense yet. Yet is hopefully key there.
  • He was able to outsize and manhandle kids in high school, he's now playing against guys his own size and with his same athletic gifts.
  • He's had a tough time adjusting to the speed of the game, even in practice.
  • He's had some lingering pain issues for about 3 months now.
  • He's a net loss right now; his struggles to keep up on defense takes away his biggest asset from high school, and without an offense, there's no role for him right now.
  • Coming into the season, the hope was he could be a net positive by the end of the year (maybe 8-10 mins) by adapting quickly on defense and starting to begin the development of creating down low.
He was never going to be an offensive threat this year and people expected way too much from him simply because of his ranking. He's not a typical 5-star in that most that high are there because of their offensive abilities, he was because of his defense and prospects to develop an offense down low. Those haven't happened yet.

• Informative
Reactions: iahawks