Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
His ceiling is Jacy Holloway?
Jacy Holloway played in an era where there were a million game managers who couldn't score, and u had 5 true distinct positions with distinct skill sets.

Even if Jacy Holloway and Brock Harding are the exact same player, Brock will be unable to come even close to the value a Holloway-type PG had in his era.

Have any other reasons for us why Iowa isn't broken, and the likes Sandfort and Harding aren't cartoonishly laughable examples of bad power conference key players?? I'm starting to enjoy this.

Reactions: CycloneVet

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Jacy Holloway played in an era where there were a million game managers who couldn't score, and u had 5 true distinct positions with distinct skill sets.

Even if Jacy Holloway and Brock Harding are the exact same player, Brock will be unable to comr even close to the value a Holloway-type PG had in his era.

Have any other reasons for us why Iowa isn't broken, and the likes Sandfort and Harding aren't cartoonishly laughable examples of bad modern power conference key players?
I think Sandfort could be a valuable P5 player if there was any remote chance of defense.
But there isn't. He's really bad at half of the game. So you need him to click on offense EVERY SINGLE NIGHT.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
I think Sandfort could be a valuable P5 player if there was any remote chance of defense.
But there isn't. He's really bad at half of the game. So you need him to click on offense EVERY SINGLE NIGHT.
I agree. The caveat being he is allegedly their BEST player and an NBA caliber guard.

I have no doubt he could be a rotation player on a good college team or even a nice number 3 option as a starter with some improved defense.

Certainly not anyone you want to build a program around or consider drafting in the NBA. Iowa and Fran deserve all the ridicule for the position they are in with him as their guy.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I wonder how bad he would be though if he played for a coach that actually coached defense? He isn't a big stiff. Seems like if he was drilled well he could be ok.

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
I wonder how bad he would be though if he played for a coach that actually coached defense? He isn't a big stiff. Seems like if he was drilled well he could be ok.
I think Sanford can vastly improve his defense if he plays under TJ. He is a pure shooter with good offensive skills but his defense is atrocious.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Fran's coaching of defense is at least equally as bad as the players skillset on that end

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
So you are saying they are a second rate conference?
Correct. Overrated consistently in every sport, every year, and given every benefit of the doubt imaginable, for no reason other than “name”. The only thing “elite” that comes out of the tiny10 is sports journalists and media producers/executives/personalities/lobbyists, which ensures their narrative paints a picture of “dominance” and prestige that doesn’t jive with actual on-court/on-field performance.

**** that conference.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Big ten has had 7 runner ups in that timeframe. They are 0-7 in championship games since MSU won the title in 2000.
Well, good job with the typical Hawkeye slant. Hawkeyes are the ultimate #2 in everything. People focus on the champions, not the runner ups

Reactions: Acylum

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Did you know that Tyler Ulis almost picked Iowa over Kentucky? That's got to be worth something
I almost wish they would have won the Xavier Foster sweepstakes. Can only imagine he'd still be starting for them with his career average of 1.5 pts and 0.9 rebounds per game.

I just looked it up, over 3 years of playing, he has a career total of 32 pts between ISU and SMU combined.

cyclone82

Sep 22, 2022
Harding isn’t that good, reference his games against quality opponents…. Which there really is only 2 or 3 in tiny ten. I think their game against ISU pretty much sums up their talent level/potential

Help Support Us

Become a patron