Tony Stewart may have hit/ran over someone

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
No way does Tony get in trouble for that. The guy he hit was dodging traffic, in his black suit, on a dark portion of the track. I don't care if there was a caution out, the cars are still going pretty fast. Stay in your car, unless its on fire, you can always confront people in the pits later.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Yikes... I'm assuming he didn't mean to hit and kill the guy, only intimidate him.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
No way does Tony get in trouble for that. The guy he hit was dodging traffic, in his black suit, on a dark portion of the track. I don't care if there was a caution out, the cars are still going pretty fast. Stay in your car, unless its on fire, you can always confront people in the pits later.

This. But they will look to prove that Stewart could see him and accelerated once he approached the guy. Not a situation id want to be in. Family will go after Smoke in Civil Court for sure.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I can see his comments to the media "it was just one of those racin' deals" right Tony? He's ****ing disgusting. He's been a hothead for years, and it was just what NASCAR wanted. Good luck cleaning up the PR mess from this.

I haven't watched the video, and I won't...ever...the articles are clear that Tony goosed it as he approached the kid and he broke loose. Tony's driven a sprint car often enough to know exactly what would happen.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
You can here Tony goose the throttle when he is right by the guy. He won't get in trouble for it, but IMO he should. He b*tches every week about someone blocking him, then he slides a dirt driver into the wall. I'm holding back on my complete opinion of this, but won't ever cheer for Tony.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I can see his comments to the media "it was just one of those racin' deals" right Tony? He's ****ing disgusting. He's been a hothead for years, and it was just what NASCAR wanted. Good luck cleaning up the PR mess from this.

I haven't watched the video, and I won't...ever...the articles are clear that Tony goosed it as he approached the kid and he broke loose. Tony's driven a sprint car often enough to know exactly what would happen.

No doubt. If the kid is just standing outside his car and this happens, Tony is in a lot of trouble. However, the kid is aggressively approaching Tonys car. Not that he deserved to get hit, but he put himself in harms way.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
A lot of armchair crime scene investigators pretending they know what's going on here. You really sure Stewart saw him? You really sure Tony was aiming for him because the rear end "swerved"? You really sure that was Tony's engine that accelerated instead of another vehicle off camera? I mean, Tony MUST be guilty - he hasn't had an episode for years so he was bound to burst. Plus this was caught with an iPhone camera and posted to YouTube - therefore we know EVERYTHING that happened.

Give me a freaking break.

I'm no Tony Stewart fan, but this is ridiculous. He's cooperating with the police and the police let him to based on the evidence they had. Perhaps Tony did do this intentionally, but if that's your conclusion because one video on the internets told you so, then you are an idiot.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
A lot of armchair crime scene investigators pretending they know what's going on here. You really sure Stewart saw him? You really sure Tony was aiming for him because the rear end "swerved"? You really sure that was Tony's engine that accelerated instead of another vehicle off camera? I mean, Tony MUST be guilty - he hasn't had an episode for years so he was bound to burst. Plus this was caught with an iPhone camera and posted to YouTube - therefore we know EVERYTHING that happened.

I'm no Tony Stewart fan, but this is ridiculous. He's cooperating with the police and the police let him to based on the evidence they had. Perhaps Tony did do this intentionally, but if that's your conclusion because one video on the internets told you so, then you are an idiot.

This. I'm not a Stewart fan, either. But because they guy has a reputation as being a hothead means he intentionally ran someone over? Come on.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Can't believe he is actually going to race later today.

That does seem insane. Even if some suicidal person jumped out in front of my car and it was 100% not my fault, I'd be a freaking mess for a long time.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

Same thoughts. Lots of idiots claiming guilt based on very limited info. Smoke isn't my driver nor someone I root for at all. But the people automatically claiming he did it intentionally are reaching pretty far at this point.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Yeah. Kid killed himself. Sad but don't walk down to driver's line and expect them to see you.

Last edited:

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006

Of course he didn't mean to kill the other guy. However, on both sides, there are many things that could have been done to avoid it. I have a hard time seeing any sort of criminal charge, such as involuntary manslaughter, but I can see a large civil settlement to the family.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
Assuming that Tony is innocent and that stands, this will be something that will haunt him forever. I have a friend that was in an automobile accident where an elderly person passed. The elderly driver was 100% at fault and there was nothing the other driver could do to stop the events that unfolded, he was just "in the wrong place" type of thing. That was 25 + years ago and it has changed him forever.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
First and foremost this is a tragic accident and prayers for the victims family. Was really horrible to watch as i've known 3 different people that have been killed from being hit by vehicles.

Anyways there is a lot of calling TS a hothead here which no doubt is well deserved, however some are missing the point the kid must have had a temper on his shoulders as well. Walking out dodging a bunch of cars... I mean hindsight is always 20/20 but common sense should tell people you don't get out of a vehicle during a race unless there is a fire. Many drivers when on caution are checking gauges and rearranging things inside the car while they got a moment of slowing down, how do we not know that TS was checking gauges and looked up at the last moment seen the kid right there and tried goosing it to swerve out of the way? Not saying that is the case but that could be a possibility, just like saying he possibly did it on purpose. So much typical blatant emotional finger pointing when people need to calm down and make a full thought.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Stewart needs to be banned from all racing for the rest of this season and all of next season.

The kid is definitely at fault at this for getting in the way. But when under yellow, there's no way Stewart hadn't seen him at all the entire time he was out of his car.

imnclone

Oct 22, 2006

http://www.barstoolsports.com/bosto...-ward-jr-who-did-pass-away-from-his-injuries/

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/...in-ward?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Tyler Graves, a sprint-car racer and friend of Ward's, told Sporting News in a phone interview that he was sitting in the Turn 1 grandstands and saw everything that happened.
Graves said it appeared to him that Stewart swerved before gunning the engine but he did not believe it was intentional.

"You never mean to do something like that," Graves said. "Kevin was ****** and he let Tony know. And Tony was trying to give the message back that he wasn't happy either. He went over the line with it."

I am taking the quote above to mean swerved away, not towards. I would guess Stewart thought he was clear when he gunned it. This is why driver's throw gloves, whatever at the other car. Not smart to run at moving cars. This will hang over Stewart for the rest of his life.

The "business as usual" response from the team manager is unfortunate, but it is a business that affects more than Stewart so it would make sense to run the race.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Stewart needs to be banned from all racing for the rest of this season and all of next season.

The kid is definitely at fault at this for getting in the way. But when under yellow, there's no way Stewart hadn't seen him at all the entire time he was out of his car.

I hope you are on your way to New York to help with the investigation.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron