Tom Manning a candidate for KU FB job

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
That’s good for him. Selfishly I hope they land one of their higher targets though. I’d like to have him for one most anticipated season, but don’t expect him to turn it down if he’s offered.

• Haha
Reactions: flycy

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I believe they removed the track around the football field, so that was a start. And I know some KU fan said they had invested some money in facilities recently, back when we initially got the news that the job had opened up.

We went there in maybe 2016 give or take a year.
The bathrooms in the stadium were absolutely gross. I think they must have been cleaned but just stains everywhere. Felt like a dungeon. We did have our pick of seats though

• Funny
Reactions: t-noah

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Worth noting in this conversation, both Manning and Heacock are making north of $900k now. That amount would exceed most of what a Group of 5 HC would pay. Iowa State (and Campbell) has really stepped up the budget in regards to its assistants.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Mistake #1 - leaving a team with a chance at a natty with possibly the best QB/RB/TE in the nation.
Mistake #2 - thinking that an opportunity like Kansas HC is a once in a lifetime event.
Mistake #3 - being an opponent of your greatest mentor.
Mistake #4 - not having time enough to establish p5 offense, defense, special teams, recruiting, and dealing with boosters.

Reactions: t-noah

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Millions of dollars for five years, versus waiting a year for millions and millions of dollars for twenty-plus. Hmm.
There are no guarantees. KU probably won’t offer him the job anyway so this is a moot point, but if I’m making $600k/year and someone offers me $20m guaranteed contract I’m taking it. One contract lIke that and you’re set for life.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
You don’t pass up millions of dollars.

Manning is almost making a million now. They'd pay their new guy what... like 2.5M? He's pretty much set for life already. The only reason for him to take a head coaching job is the challenge/ego/control. And if that's the case, there are FAR better opportunities than that dumpster fire...and with far fewer headaches.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
There are no guarantees. KU probably won’t offer him the job anyway so this is a moot point, but if I’m making $600k/year and someone offers me $20m guaranteed contract I’m taking it. One contract lIke that and you’re set for life.

No doubt. But thankfully KU isn't making that offer to TM.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Ross Peterson is saying David Beaty was turning the program around.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I would agree with Ross. They were idiots to fire him.
I think they were idiots to hire Les Miles.
I think they were probably on the fence with Beaty until we came there, blew them the eff out, and then their players were telling reporters there was more ISU fans there than KU fans and it was like an away game. LOL

• Agree
Reactions: usedcarguy

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Where are you seeing $20 mil guaranteed? You don't hire an assistant with no HC experience if you're paying that much. And it's already been pointed out Manning makes closer to a million. Maybe make your analogy a little more grounded in reality.

Reactions: 06_CY and Aclone

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The only way a coach can have success at KU is to run a totally different offense from the rest of the conference, If I was doing the hiring, I would go after the guy at Army. He has had multiple years of success playing smaller and slower players than his opponents.

There are plenty of small quick QB's out there that can run, just do not have a strong enough arm to pass the ball in P5 football. Go all in on back to the future, with a option running game to shorten the game, and it might be successful. He gave OU fits a few years ago before finally losing in a close game.

Reactions: CyclonePigskin

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
The only way a coach can have success at KU is to run a totally different offense from the rest of the conference, If I was doing the hiring, I would go after the guy at Army. He has had multiple years of success playing smaller and slower players than his opponents.

There are plenty of small quick QB's out there that can run, just do not have a strong enough arm to pass the ball in P5 football. Go all in on back to the future, with a option running game to shorten the game, and it might be successful. He gave OU fits a few years ago before finally losing in a close game.
As an ISU fan I hope they don't hire Monken cause his style of play is a major pain in the a$$ to play against. Especially if you only have like 5-6 days to prepare for it.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I think they were idiots to hire Les Miles.
I think they were probably on the fence with Beaty until we came there, blew them the eff out, and then their players were telling reporters there was more ISU fans there than KU fans and it was like an away game. LOL

I was getting ready to write something about Campbell indirectly getting him fired. It wasn't just Campbell blowing them out, but having solid success in year three while they were still struggling. They thought they'd get their own Campbell. Instead they got Les Miles. LOL

They need a Dan McCarney type that is as good at building public interest as he is a team. Then they need the patience to see it through. Thank God those kind of guys don't grow on trees. They can turn it around, but they have to understand that they are where we were in 1995. I think if given a few more years, Beaty could have gotten them to winning 4-6 games a year...which for that program is no small feat.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Sources tell FootballScoop that among those invited to interview include Army coach Jeff Monken, Buffalo coach Lance Leipold, Tulane coach Willie Fritz, Eastern Michigan coach Chris Creighton and interim Kansas coach Emmett Jones.

Additionally, some high-profile coordinators are among those already to speak or scheduled to speak with Goff and what sources say are a four-person KU hiring/interview committee.

Those coordinators, per sources, of some interest to KU officials include Georgia defensive coordinator Dan Lanning, who remained with the Bulldogs this offseason after an opportunity to join Steve Sarkisian’s rebuild at the University of Texas; Texas A&M’s highly regarded Mike Elko, Iowa State offensive coordinator Tom Manning – a young, up-and-comer already with a year of NFL experience under former Colts and current Philadelphia Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni, as well as Illinois associate head coach Kevin Kane.

Full article: https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-sitting-head-coaches-top-coordinators-emerge-in-kansas-mix/
Good. Leave.