Tom Manning a candidate for KU FB job

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Whoever ends up accepting the KU football job needs to look at the contract Heupel got at Tennessee, and the contract that Mark Stoops has at Kentucky.

-Heupel got a 6 year deal, that will automatically add a 7th if the football program should receive any NCAA punishment for the recruiting violations that led to Pruitt getting ousted.

-For Mark Stoops, every time Kentucky wins seven games in the regular season, his contract is automatically extended by one year.

Les was getting 2.7M annually from Kansas. If someone like Willie Fritz or Jeff Monken can walk into that job and get 7 years guaranteed at around 2.4M with automatic extensions and bonuses built in, that becomes a very attractive offer.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Has KU done anything to improve football facilities? It seems like an awful job until that is done.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
When he does go to HC job who does he take with him?

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I wouldn't take that job if I were him. There's are better jobs he can take out there that actually care about football.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It's probably been around 10 years since I last went to a game at KU but I can't imagine the FB facilities have improved significantly since then. They have no game day atmosphere around the stadium either, you basically have to find a frat house parking lot or someone's yard to park in if you want to tailgate. Their fans don't care about FB, heck many times we have more fans at the game than they do when we play there. Just not a job that an assistant at a P5 school aspiring to be a HC some day should really take when guys who have had power P5 experience (see the list: https://kuathletics.com/kansas-football-head-coaching-history/) who have all failed there what makes you think the next guy with no previous power 5 HC experience is going to fare any better?

Reminds me of SEVERAL years ago when my friends and I decided to go to the Kansas game at Kansas. Took our tailgating bus. We were the only ones in the parking lot for hours upon hours just getting drunk by ourselves. Started to wonder if we were in the wrong parking lot. We were not.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Has KU done anything to improve football facilities? It seems like an awful job until that is done.

I believe they removed the track around the football field, so that was a start. And I know some KU fan said they had invested some money in facilities recently, back when we initially got the news that the job had opened up.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
FIFY

I know what Snyder did at K-State. That said, the Jayhawk job right now feels like nothing more than career suicide.

Snyder has a case for being the greatest coach in the history of the sport.

I think Manning is a good coach, but I don't think betting on a repeat of Snyderism in Lawrence is a wise move.

Reactions: VeloClone

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Kansas would be wise to hire someone with head coaching experience. Manning might be the next Campbell, but Campbell had a handful of years being a head coach in the MAC before coming here.