Throwback Thread: COACHING SEARCH: Wednesday, Nov. 25 evening update

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Shouldn't everyone know this by now... the hard and fast rule of a JP hire when it comes to football is... if a candidates name is leaked, if the media suggests them, if a story comes out they are interested in the job, or they are being discussed on CF... THEY WILL NOT BE THE NEXT HEAD COACH AT ISU.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Shouldn't everyone know this by now... the hard and fast rule of a JP hire when it comes to football is... if a candidates name is leaked, if the media suggests them, if a story comes out they are interested in the job, or they are being discussed on CF... THEY WILL NOT BE THE NEXT HEAD COACH AT ISU.

The basketball search was nothing like this.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I would have rather kept Rhoads than go with Leipold. That would be a HUGE mistake IMO.

What kind of staff could he put together AND what are his recruiting connections? Those are big weaknesses.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
The more I see on Fritz the more I likey. My favorite personality on the board is Stitt. If successful at ISU he would be a huge hit with the media....but I think Fritz would be the better bet for success from my limited scope.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Hoops has always been different. Anyone talk about Rhoads? No. Anyone talk about Chiz? No.

There's no inherent difference between the sports for coaching search name leaks. We just had a search just like this 6 months ago - with the same search firm - and a lot of information was out, including Prohm's name. So leaning on a very different search from 2008 as evidence is not convincing.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
I'm so tired people of talking like they know Pollard's MO when it comes to coaching searches when it really hasn't happened that many times. Such a joke. And also, can we give Jeremy his own thread to post his intentionally ambiguous statements that he can always back into later? Can't believe people fall for that.

Last edited:

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
I think it's hilarious when people make statements about how stupid Pollard is for considering candidate a or not considering candidate b. None of us know how to run a coaching search. None of us know inside info on candidates. It's just ridiculous to overreact to something before you even know how it will work out.

tsirnickesqcy

Oct 13, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Seriously, is the god-squad a large part of the equation with Pollard and coaching candidates? If so, that's moronic. I'm not excited about anyone on that list except for Tony Alford. People who think we can win in the Big XII running the triple option are insane. 90% of Texas high schools run the spread. None of those kids will want to play in an old school option attack. If we're going to hire a service academy guy let's go after Calhoun from Air Force. Why wouldn't we consider Scott Frost or Monken from S Miss. Both of them are better candidates than that Navy guy...

A reigious test? That's incompetent and possibly illegal as well, Iowa State being a public institution.

bradnjen

Apr 27, 2010
SE Iowa
I don't think this has anything to do with religion. JP doesn't want someone who will embarrass the university. Cross off Leach, Pelini, and Petrino.

1. Todd Monken
2. Willie Fritz
3. Bob Stitt

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
I just want you all to know that, because your speculations are different than my speculations, I now hate you and think you are a terrible person.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

I don't think he can control that anymore. Even during the basketball search the names were out here. Social media has taken off so much since the last search. I mean really during the Chizik search, most of the names that were out there were not even on his list. Chizik's names was discounted because people thought he would take a bigger job. Yes CPR did keep it quite but, its not like he was a big name guy people thought would move up. Also they are using a search firm this time and that is a whole different ball game.

Last edited:

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com

With all due respect, in the past Twitter did not exist. Message boards weren't the animals that they are today. Times are different. I think we saw that during the basketball search.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Wasn't there a rumor Prohm was telling people he was pretty sure he got the job?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I have a friend that works at the Ames airport and said an ISU charted private jet was traveling to the ATL and returning the next day. That's scheduled for next week. Not sure what's in the ATL. But I assume this has something to do with the coaching search.

Willie Fritz at Georgia Southern.

Sounds like Fritz wants the job. IMO, he would be a great fit. Coached HS football in Kansas and Texas. Coached at Blinn JC and knows the Juco's Coached at Central Missouri for years. Has had a winning season almost every year. The guy is 55 and IMO wants a Power 5 job at this juncture in his career. He also runs a good offense that would fit the talents of our players.

Last edited:

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
Brian Kelly went to the MAC and took scalps at CMU.

Leipold is 5-6.

This would be a laughingstock hire the likes of which we've never seen. I mean, he MIGHT work, but this is a total gamble when there are proven commodities who are interested.

Sort of like when Auburn hired Chizik. That was laughable. What did they get out of that? I'm not in favor of this, but can see the upside. Kelly had a losing record his first year in D1 as well. If we wait until he turns it around there he is not coming to Iowa State so your only option to get him is now. Big gamble, with potential high reward, but Kansas is more likely. I'm not really excited about any of the candidates. Its a big reason I thought Paul might be given one more year.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I would have rather kept Rhoads than go with Leipold. That would be a HUGE mistake IMO.

What kind of staff could he put together AND what are his recruiting connections? Those are big weaknesses.

So you ask the question as if you don't know the answer (That's what ???? means), yet then go on to proclaim that the answer to the question that you don't know the answer to is a weakness. Solid stuff.