Throwback Thread: COACHING SEARCH: Wednesday, Nov. 25 evening update

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Hey guys. First of all, have a very happy Thanksgiving.

I’ve been working the phones on my way south to see family and have stumbled upon a few nuggets regarding the Iowa State coaching search.

FULL DISCLOSURE: We all know that these things are very fluid. Often times during searches candidates/agents will attempt to use the media and link information so take all of this for what it is – educated speculation.

Here goes.

--- I’m confident that former DIII legend and current Buffalo coach Lance Leipold is a legitimate candidate for the job. In eight seasons at Whitewater, Leipold led that program to six national championships. Buffalo is currently 5-6.

--- One source says there is “pretty much no chance” that Iowa State will hire a youngster like Kendal Briles or Lincoln Riley.

--- The overwhelming theory is that Pollard will opt for a clean-cut former head coach – someone like Steve Prohm but in football.

--- I’m pretty confident that Navy head coach Ken Niumatalolo and Georgia Southern coach Willie Fritz will get interviews.

--- I heard an additional rumbling about Bob Stitt today too.

--- One possible candidate that I’ve heard mixed things on is Toledo head coach Matt Campbell. I’m told that he’s very interested in the job but the source said Campbell had not yet been contacted. He’d fit the Pollard profile in my opinion, so it’s very possible that he has been contacted but is simply keeping quiet too.

Personally, I think he'd be a great fit.

--- I’m still of the belief that Ohio State assistant Tony Alford will be in the mix. I like him a lot as well.

--- Another source believes that interviews have already begun.

--- Two guys who are interested in the job but I’m not sure if Iowa State has interest in them are Scott Frost (Oregon offensive coordinator) and Matt Wells (Utah State head coach).

--- To wrap things up, here are the guys I have heard the most about (in order of the noise): Liepold, Fritz, Niumatalolo, Campbell, Alford and Stitt.

--- Last but not least, I'm almost positive there is a mystery candidate or two. There always is. Keep that in mind.

--- This has nothing to do with Iowa State but I heard from one source that Tom Herman actually turned down the South Carolina job. There was a rogue report that surfaced on Tuesday stating that Herman had agreed in principle to take that job. He shot it down on Tuesday night and again, I’m now hearing he’s officially turned it down. I’m hearing that Camp Herman has its eyes on the LSU gig, assuming that Les Miles gets fired.

Last edited:

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Yea, that last Buffalo to Big XII move worked out well...no thanks.

Not interested in Tony Alford as head coach either. We got to watch Paul make 7 years worth of mistakes learning on the job. Hire someone that has experience running a program. If he fits as a coordinator, great.

Matt Campbell or Bob Stitt are IMO the best options out there. Toledo under Campbell has had RB get 1100+ yards every year. He has been an OL coach for years. Stitt is obviously an offensive genius.

Iowa State can't survive running some up tempo spread system. Our recruiters can't go into Texas convincing spread QBs and WRs to come up to Ames, they'll be the 7th or 8th option at best. ISU can build linemen from the upper midwest, and convince talented RBs in Texas they'll get the rock 25-30 times a game here. Turn ISU into a team that punishes its opponents.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Yea, that last Buffalo to Big XII move worked out well...no thanks.

Not interested in Tony Alford as head coach either. We got to watch Paul make 7 years worth of mistakes learning on the job. Hire someone that has experience running a program. If he fits as a coordinator, great.

Matt Campbell or Bob Stitt are IMO the best options out there. Toledo under Campbell has had RB get 1100+ yards every year. He has been an OL coach for years. Stitt is obviously an offensive genius.

Iowa State can't survive running some up tempo spread system. Our recruiters can't go into Texas convincing spread QBs and WRs to come up to Ames, they'll be the 7th or 8th option at best. ISU can build linemen from the upper midwest, and convince talented RBs in Texas they'll get the rock 25-30 times a game here. Turn ISU into a team that punishes its opponents.

He may or may not work out here, but that's terrible logic for not wanting someone

Spam

May 21, 2008
Sounds like we're at least getting interest from good candidates

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
If Leipold is like Jerry Kill, then I'd take that. Coach Kill is the type of coach I'm hoping we are targeting. Coach Kill was really setting himself up to do great things in Minnesota.

Dannynoonan

May 5, 2015

I’ve been working the phones on my way south to see family and have stumbled upon a few nuggets regarding the Iowa State coaching search.

FULL DISCLOSURE: We all know that these things are very fluid. Often times during searches candidates/agents will attempt to use the media and link information so take all of this for what it is – educated speculation.

Here goes.

--- I’m confident that former DIII legend and current Buffalo coach Lance Leipold is a legitimate candidate for the job. In eight seasons at Whitewater, Leipold led that program to six national championships. Buffalo is currently 5-6.

--- One source says there is “pretty much no chance” that Iowa State will hire a youngster like Kendal Briles or Lincoln Riley.

--- The overwhelming theory is that Pollard will opt for a clean-cut former head coach – someone like Steve Prohm but in football.

--- I’m pretty confident that Navy head coach Ken Niumatalolo and Georgia Southern coach Willie Fritz will get interviews.

--- One possible candidate that I’ve heard mixed things on is Toledo head coach Matt Campbell. I’m told that he’s very interested in the job but the source said Campbell had not yet been contacted. He’d fit the Pollard profile in my opinion, so it’s very possible that he has been contacted but is simply keeping quiet too.

--- I’m still of the belief that Ohio State assistant Tony Alford will be in the mix. I like him a lot as well.

--- Two guys who are interested in the job but I’m not sure if Iowa State has interest in them are Scott Frost (Oregon offensive coordinator) and Matt Wells (Utah State head coach).

--- To wrap things up, here are the guys I have heard the most about (in order of the noise): Liepold, Fritz, Niumatalolo, Campbell, Alford and Stitt.

--- Last but not least, I'm almost positive there is a mystery candidate or two. There always is. Keep that in mind.

--- This has nothing to do with Iowa State but I heard from one source that Tom Herman actually turned down the South Carolina job. There was a rogue report that surfaced on Tuesday stating that Herman had agreed in principle to take that job. He shot it down on Tuesday night and again, I’m now hearing he’s officially turned it down. I’m hearing that Camp Herman has its eyes on the LSU gig, assuming that Les Miles gets fired.

my order is campbell, fritz, navy ken.

Last edited by a moderator:

bradnjen

Apr 27, 2010
SE Iowa
Campbell came into a good situation I believe. Just surprised no mention of Todd Monken.

Instead of hiring Mangino, we should have hired Stitt to run the offense. CPR might still have a job.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
FYI out of everyone I've talked with, by far the most controversial is Leipold. A few think he's worth the gamble but the vast majority feel he'd be a step back in many ways, though of course nobody knows the staff he could get.

Ultimately, there have been candidates express interest (and 2 interview) that would seem to be better proven entities at the right level in most fans eyes. If everything goes well, we'll have an announcement right after the conclusion of the regular season, at the latest.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Please can we pass on Leipold? He doesn't have enough expience in D1 football and could very well be a bust in a few years.

It's a very Iowa State move, so from that perspective, I can appreciate it. Outside of that, no. Please, just no.

Spam

May 21, 2008
I'd be ok with Leipold if he is able to say with 100% certainty who his OC and DC will be.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive

Here goes.

--- One source says there is “pretty much no chance†that Iowa State will hire a youngster like Kendal Briles or Lincoln Riley.

I am not a fan of the bolded area, makes it sound like the 1950's and narrowminded. Based on what we know of Pollard past hires we may be cutting out some top notch candidates. Harbaugh's attitude kept him from being hired right? I am sure Briles was too brash for this job. I am sure Pollard set expectations with the search firm but I would hope the search firm would do their duty for their $50k and let Pollard know of guys he might be missing out on.

I am almost 90% certain this is why we ended up with Chizik as opposed to some of those other guys. They were all about the same type of candidate as far as wow factor, so Chizik's 'clean cut Christian' background set him apart. I am not bashing the Chizik hire because for all everyone in the country knew at the time it was a HUGE hire, especially for Iowa State. I am a Christian so I am not bashing that either. Making some of that part of your reason for hiring guys is not good and is illegal if that ever got it out or if it could be proven.

Reactions: ISUAgronomist

kcyclone

Sep 11, 2012
FYI out of everyone I've talked with, by far the most controversial is Leipold. A few think he's worth the gamble but the vast majority feel he'd be a step back in many ways, though of course nobody knows the staff he could get.

Ultimately, there have been candidates express interest (and 2 interview) that would seem to be better proven entities at the right level in most fans eyes. If everything goes well, we'll have an announcement right after the conclusion of the regular season, at the latest.

Two have interviewed already???

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron