Throwback Thread: COACHING SEARCH: Wednesday, Nov. 25 evening update

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Yes I do understand that as I've typed it out 3 times now. I've stated "we'd have to hire him a couple years earlier than we'd like."

It invalidates your comparison though, which is seemingly all you have.

We should look and consider all types of candidates, but the hesitation and skepticism for one like Leopold is appropriate. Maybe he is the guy, but hopefully it is someone other than JP determining that.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Helped orchestrate ridiculously good offenses that just so happened to win a bunch of football games... Namely in a P5 conference...

Helped? That's the key word, isn't it? No HC experience, likely not even calling plays as an OC. His offense routinely has more talent than opposing defenses due to Nike money...and his best years had the #2 pick of the draft at QB. How does any of that translate to ISU?

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I'm convinced that Liepold is going to be a rousing success based on the majority of CF posters' opinions so far. It's the Castanza effect.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
KN would not change his offense at ISU like Johnson didn't change it at Georgia Tech.

Hiring him would be a bleeping disaster.

Why? Paul Johnson has done it successfully. He's gone to BCS bowls and played for conference titles.

I love these people that can predict the future.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I'm losing track of who all these coaching prospects are. It would be great if someone made a chart with the names, current college affiliation, and pictures of all these coaches. Anybody up to the task?

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
Huh?

I've been told nothing. I have no more inside information than you do. I can promise you that.

I've said for the last year that if CPR was fired I don't care if we got D1, FCS, D2, or D3.....I want a HC that has been a proven winner over a sustained period of time. This guy fits that. He's my #2 option from CW's list.

Agree with you. We don't know if Leipold can recruit or put together a staff but the dude can coach and win. Could be a hidden gem or a giant bust and maybe he's to big of a risk.

With Frost, I think it's easy to run that offense at Oregon and look good with Oregon talent. Unfortunately, we don't get Oregon talent. I think we'd be getting into the same problem as Chizik and Rhoads hiring a guy like Frost.

I am liking Fritz more and more and his connection to Jucos.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Helped? That's the key word, isn't it? No HC experience, likely not even calling plays as an OC. His offense routinely has more talent than opposing defenses due to Nike money...and his best years had the #2 pick of the draft at QB. How does any of that translate to ISU?

The same way a DIII coach translates to ISU: it really doesn't. Everything about this is a risk, and it all operates under assumptions and perfect scenarios. Sure, Leipold knows what it feels like to win, a lot, at DIII level. Frost knows what it's like to win, a lot, at a P5 school. Ultimately, they both know how to win, they just got there differently.

Not having HC experience doesn't disqualify them as a potential candidate, just as having HC experience doesn't necessarily mean they won't suck a** as an ISU head coach. It's all completely unpredictable.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
The same way a DIII coach translates to ISU: it really doesn't. Everything about this is a risk, and it all operates under assumptions and perfect scenarios. Sure, Leipold knows what it feels like to win, a lot, at DIII level. Frost knows what it's like to win, a lot, at a P5 school. Ultimately, they both know how to win, they just got there differently.

Not having HC experience doesn't disqualify them as a potential candidate, just as having HC experience doesn't necessarily mean they won't suck a** as an ISU head coach. It's all completely unpredictable.

You are right but we've gone the coordinator route for last two hires and we're looking for our 3rd head coach in 9 years.

I can see why some want to steer away from that.

Going to be a risk either way.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I agree. Of the candidates we've heard he would be my top guy. Leipold #2. Followed by Campbell and Navy's coach.

We shouldn't be looking at anyone who has never been a head coach.

Agree -- and I don't mean to suggest going the route of a coordinator couldn't work, just because it hasn't moved the needle in the recent past, I simply think ISU may benefit most from someone with "proven program orchestration" for a significant length of time.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
You must have missed Pollard's presser when introducing him. You're a genius.

He used that to help sell the hire, but I think you are being presumptuous in saying that was the reason he got the job.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
You are right but we've gone the coordinator route for last two hires and we're looking for our 3rd head coach in 9 years.

I can see why some want to steer away from that.

Going to be a risk either way.

I think part of that problem is that they were both defensive coordinators, if I recall correctly. But, that's just my opinion.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I too would like to see more out of Leipold at Buffalo, but if JP and Leath think he's the real deal, we might have to grab him earlier than we'd like.

The money the AD would save in salary could be used for some cool tarps to cover the empty seats.

This would be an incredibly long shot hire. Quite probably a career killer.

Clones8686

Jan 19, 2015
Leipold seems to me like the Kim Anderson basketball hire at Missouri. Not exactly the same since he isn't an alum, but he is a guy with a lot of lower level success and look how that has worked out for Missouri basketball so far. It's always a risky proposition to assume success can translate up a level (or two).

willi_cy2

Mar 22, 2015
Don't wanna sift thru thread. But saw on twitter we are actively pursuing an SEC def coordinator...who...