The HB saga and the people

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I have a question that still has not been answered, was Gary Thompson invited specifically to the event, or did he just show up on his own?

He showed up on his own, thinking (as we all did) that this was going to be a Cyclone celebration. I spoke with him as he was quickly leaving - he was not happy.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Sadly, I thought he screwed us over when his coach Vance Downs reminded the crowd once more just prior to handing the mic over to HB to be respectful of his decision. Coaches, Mom, etc. all knew and this was orchestrated by HB and his family at their own choice.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
He showed up on his own, thinking (as we all did) that this was going to be a Cyclone celebration. I spoke with him as he was quickly leaving - he was not happy.

Wow. So he took it right in the midsection in person. Ouch.

Gary Thompson is Mr. Cyclone. I swear I see him all the time at ISU events and have for decades. Now there is a proud Iowan who realized how much it means to your community when you stay local as a way to thank your community that did so much to make you the person you have become.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
It is not a matter of listening to this board. It is PR 101.
Create a public situation with potential for downside reaction and opinions and you have to accept the risk if this occurs.

Personally I have no problem with him choosing another school, and I wish him the best, it is just sad to see how it has unfolded.

Funny thing is, he could solve it in one simple statement.

Simply in an interview sometime work in something to the effect of

""I felt that UNC is the deicison I needed to make for my future and I really wanted to thank and celebrate this decision with the community that has supported me.

Now that it is over, I can see where it perhaps caused some unintended frustration or dissapointment for ISU fans. That was not my intention, but i recognize it may have occured. I ahve a lot of respect for what the coaches players, and fans have done with ISU. etc...

Better to go this route than denial damage control.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I'd be curious as to what he told you.......

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I will not quote him here without his permission, but you described it fairly well.

I would assume Gary think's similiar to me...that kids nowadays just don't seem to have that community loyalty. You can say that's good or bad...doesn't matter but kids now just don't feel that community like they have in the past. I think that's the saddest part for me..that HB felt Ames was not the best place for him. I think most of us who have lived a few years realizes he's making a bigger mistake than any 17 yr old would ever know.

Divided Sky

Nov 14, 2006
Agreed....it feels good to vent and get the frustration out. We'll move on and forget eventually.

Chances are we'll never see a #1 recruit come out of Ames.

Probably never going to see a #1 overall in this state in our lifetimes. Think of the sheer population of the US.
Completely stings. Especially with Roy Williams being the culprit. He has stolen 4 of the Top 5 this state has had.
Can I blame HB? Not at all. That said, that doesn't make it hurt any less.
I think the worst part is stringing along ISU. I have no doubt he loves ISU. that said, he had little intention of signing on the dotted line. His mind was made up early last week (Tuesday). Drop ISU from the cards. Don't make it public. Thank the state for what it has done for you. Move forward.
Dont't get the hopes of the faithful up. He should know what our fans have been through. It was weak sauce and no one can convince me otherwise. Complete Me-fest. Period.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
[quote1. Wow, yeah that was going to happen.
2. So you know ISU was never a true consideration? How about Duke or the others?
3. He said a lot of nice stuff about ISU.
4. I will agree the Skype thing was lame, but that is all I would agree to then.
5. If it was low key you would be ******** anyway. There is no low key for elite recuits anymore.
]

Now that I look back on it I realize we were never a real choice for him. If we were a real choice he would have chosen Iowa State. When UNC came calling it became about them and Duke.
You really think OU had a chance either. I never did and nobody else did either. Yet he kept telling them the same stuff he told Iowa State.
He used all of our stuff until the end. Even played in the basketball practice facility the night before his decision. If he knew when he said he did on soundoff he would have never showed up to the gym that night. He would have told our coaches and moved on. Not to mention he is still asking to use our practice facility.[/QUOTE]

How do you know that to be true? If it is true, someone needs to help him understand the concept of etiquette.

Of course, we can also tell him that our facilities are for Cyclone players and Cyclone recruits...of which he is neither and that is the end of the discussion.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I have not seen those posts either and I have been following the saga quite closely.

I would not be surprised people are doing them trying to make the ISU fanbase look bad. Think Hawkeye fans or even hb fans wanting to deflect from real honest criticism of how the decision was made.

Most people are not all that upset or surprised with the decision itself. We do retain the right to feel used repeatedly by Barnes and his people however. hb or people close to him had to know how showing Roy's face to a room with all sorts of Cyclone fans in it.

I have a question that still has not been answered, was Gary Thompson invited specifically to the event, or did he just show up on his own?

I didn't watch the "event" nor have I really heard what kind of crowd was actually in attendance. Can someone enlighten me as to who was there...Ames HS kids, ISU students, ISU boosters (read:eek:lder men), media, etc?

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Another HB take is obviously not needed nor I am saying anything many others have not already expressed in much better words than I; however, I feel it will help me begin to heal personally. As a Cyclone fan I feel as though the way he made the announcement was a real kick in the gut. He invited the public. There were 400 + Cyclone fans in attendance and he pulls out the North Carolina card and calls a figure via Skype that is one of the most hated sports figures in our University’s history. HB is mature beyond his years. His mother has done a masterful job marketing him. However, the announcement was all about him. He gave no consideration to Ames High School, the City of Ames, or Iowa State University. With an Ames High Little Cyclones logo to his back and hundreds of Cyclone fans in attendance he embarrassed us on national television. I am sure he will be a tremendous success both at the University of North Carolina and in the NBA. He will make millions playing basketball and even more in promotions. However, I am not a Tarheel fan and I do not root for people that improperly treat the University that I love so dearly. Go Cyclones!

There were 3000 in the gym, not 400.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I didn't watch the "event" nor have I really heard what kind of crowd was actually in attendance. Can someone enlighten me as to who was there...Ames HS kids, ISU students, ISU boosters (read:eek:lder men), media, etc?

There was everything there, Ames high kids, college kids, old guys, middle age people ect... A lot of people wearing Cyclone gear.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa

You can watch the whole video from WOI TV right here I believe:

http://www.woi-tv.com/Global/category.asp?C=7588&nav=menu115_4

Click under Featured Videos Harrison Barnes Makes His Choice

Sorry I couldn't get a direct link to work.

I think you will understand how many ISU fans are not really all that surprised or upset by hb's choice, but the way he went about it. I think it is a final reminder of how much ISU was used during this whole event.

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
How do you know that to be true? If it is true, someone needs to help him understand the concept of etiquette.

Of course, we can also tell him that our facilities are for Cyclone players and Cyclone recruits...of which he is neither and that is the end of the discussion.
From Sound Off, he didn't ask to use the practice facility, GMac told him that their relationship would not change. But yes, that would be well within Coach's rights to do.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
From Sound Off, he didn't ask to use the practice facility, GMac told him that their relationship would not change. But yes, that would be well within Coach's rights to do.

I'm not sure this would be the decision I would reach were I in charge of our program but I have no problem with him saying it because he is simply trying to be gracious.

If HB has any sense of etiquette he will steer clear of the practice facility and not go about things as though everything is status quo.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm not sure this would be the decision I would reach were I in charge of our program but I have no problem with him saying it because he is simply trying to be gracious.

If HB has any sense of etiquette he will steer clear of the practice facility and not go about things as though everything is status quo.
Why would he not take coach at his word? Is coach not strong enough to tell a 17 year old kid that he can't use his facilities? I doubt that.

CloneCan

Sep 5, 2008
Iowa
. Blame him for his pick, but quit saying that "he" invited the public. That was a choice that Ames HS and ESPN U made.

This is the cruxt of the issue. I do not think anyone really blames him for his pick.

It is how he announced it, handled it, the ego demonstrated and being totally oblivious to the negative ramifications.

They issued the public invitation via press release. Someone in the PR department missed the boat. Either he or those who counseled him need to understand they may have messed up on it.

Again, those saying to move on, seem to always go back to let him make his decision. They will not address the gaffes made.

Classic diversion from a public relations perspective for maintaining the reputation of the product.[/QUOTE]

Right on! I've noticed that as well. I don't care about his choice of schools. I care about being used to make HB look hot.

Last edited:

jhill

Apr 10, 2006

Mac is showing intelligence and class. It does nothing for him to appear bitter about the decision.

Based on the press conference, I think it will be a few years before young Mr. Barnes figures some things out.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Why would he not take coach at his word? Is coach not strong enough to tell a 17 year old kid that he can't use his facilities? I doubt that.

GM is clearly being polite and gracious in a tough circumstance. If he told HB that he was no longer welcome he would look bitter.

I'm not sure how old you are but I recently had my lawn mower crap out about half way through my yard. I asked my neighbor if I could borrow his to finish the yard and he told me I could "borrow it anytime I needed"...I did not take this as an invitation to use his lawn mower and not go buy a new one for myself. Even though he offered, it would be imposing and rude for me to continue to use his lawn mower.