The HB saga and the people

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
who keep coming on every thread telling everyone to move on. Everyone has a right to talk about it. If you don't want to talk about it then don't.. people have been rapped up in this saga for over 3 years now. You can't expect people to drop it in 3 days. Just let them talk about it and get it out of there system. If will propbably be off the boards in 1 week.

Couldn't agree more. I wanted to start some threads this weekend on the subject but was afraid. If you are sick of hearing about him, just don't open the thread. The fact is, there are still people on CF that want to still ***** and complain. I'm over the "shocked" feeling and am still on the "******* ****** off I'm still really mad" feeling.

I'm just trying to get through my stages of grief, and the best way for me to do this is to vent to people I do not know on a message board.:smile:

I feel like a homo for saying this, but don't the Dixie Chicks have a song that says "Im not ready to play nice, I'm not ready to back down.......and so on.

That is the way I feel. Eventually I will accept this, but I want to be depressed and ****** off for a little longer before I do. I have earned it, I am a frequent visitor and an occasional poster on a message board dammit!:jimlad:

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
It's like dating a girl for 3 years. You get down on your knee and ask her and she says no. Then the next day people start telling you to get over her and get on with life. Even though she is dating a different guy just like you who has had the hottest chicks in the world for the last 40 years. You just have to look at her like WHY.
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Except most the people ******** don't know Barnes on a personal level and sure as hell aren't "close" to him. Your analogy is sooooooo far off it is :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:. If you date a girl for three years you would know everything about her. Most people on here don't know a damnthing about Barnes except he is a great BB player. I am sorry but if you as emotionally tied to Barnes as you would be to a girl that you dated for three years, you need to see someone, psychiatrist, maybe the police....

CyAg

May 22, 2006
. Blame him for his pick, but quit saying that "he" invited the public. That was a choice that Ames HS and ESPN U made.[/QUOTE]

This is the cruxt of the issue. I do not think anyone really blames him for his pick.

It is how he announced it, handled it, the ego demonstrated and being totally oblivious to the negative ramifications.

They issued the public invitation via press release. Someone in the PR department missed the boat. Either he or those who counseled him need to understand they may have messed up on it.

Again, those saying to move on, seem to always go back to let him make his decision. They will not address the gaffes made.

Classic diversion from a public relations perspective for maintaining the reputation of the product.

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
Total setup!!!
That was about the cheesiest things since Harrison Skyped Roy!!!
Oh by the way, why did Harrison think a gym full of Ames and Cyclone fans would want to see a live screen-sized shot of Roy's face and his playas? Maybe just to rub it in our faces a little more...thanks for that!

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Except most the people ******** don't know Barnes on a personal level and sure as hell aren't "close" to him. Your analogy is sooooooo far off it is :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: . If you date a girl for three years you would know everything about her. Most people on here don't know a damnthing about Barnes except he is a great BB player. I am sorry but if you as emotionally tied to Barnes as you would be to a girl that you dated for three years, you need to see someone, psychiatrist, maybe the police....

No but I am using "we" as Iowa State. We were attached to him as a fanbase. We wanted him. We followed him. We cheered him. We let him use our stuff. Gave him free tickets to the game. Treated him like our number one girl. If the analogy is way over your head that is fine. I have had about 5 people already tell me it's a great analogy so go ahead and make more faces.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
Another HB take is obviously not needed nor I am saying anything many others have not already expressed in much better words than I; however, I feel it will help me begin to heal personally. As a Cyclone fan I feel as though the way he made the announcement was a real kick in the gut. He invited the public. There were 400 + Cyclone fans in attendance and he pulls out the North Carolina card and calls a figure via Skype that is one of the most hated sports figures in our University’s history. HB is mature beyond his years. His mother has done a masterful job marketing him. However, the announcement was all about him. He gave no consideration to Ames High School, the City of Ames, or Iowa State University. With an Ames High Little Cyclones logo to his back and hundreds of Cyclone fans in attendance he embarrassed us on national television. I am sure he will be a tremendous success both at the University of North Carolina and in the NBA. He will make millions playing basketball and even more in promotions. However, I am not a Tarheel fan and I do not root for people that improperly treat the University that I love so dearly. Go Cyclones!

Reactions: Knownothing

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
This is the cruxt of the issue. I do not think anyone really blames him for his pick.

It is how he announced it, handled it, the ego demonstrated and being totally oblivious to the negative ramifications.

They issued the public invitation via press release. Someone in the PR department missed the boat. Either he or those who counseled him need to understand they may have messed up on it.

Again, those saying to move on, seem to always go back to let him make his decision. They will not address the gaffes made.

Classic diversion from a public relations perspective for maintaining the reputation of the product.

You must have missed the posts of people wishing injury upon HB then...

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006

Explain to me the gaffes again?

How was he supposed to announce it? Whisper it on the phone to his momma and run and hide? Had he done it that way all of you on this site would have been ******** about how he didn't have the balls to make his choice in public.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Explain to me the gaffes again?

How was he supposed to announce it? Whisper it on the phone to his momma and run and hide? Had he done it that way all of you on this site would have been ******** about how he didn't have the balls to make his choice in public.

1. Not open to public. Close friends/family/handlers/press.

2. Don't include ISU in it till the end if we never were truly a consideration.

3. Say something nice about the coach like you did for the other 5.

4. Don't put up a large sized pic of Roy in the hometown of ISU.

5. If he truly was the grounded, intelligent, classy kid he would have held a low key presser and announced his choice and moved on.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
Again, those having a problem with his choice are disapointed, but 99% of them move on. This is about the process.

And to answer the question of how you go about it?
Hold a press conference, do it in the media center, ad office, invite friends, family supporters and make your annoucement.

The public invitation had great downside from a PR perspective. That was clear from right after it was announced. If you take the risk, that is the potential.

aauummm

June is National Camping Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
How is it an order though? You can say your opinions, and we can say ours which is that you need to move on, both opinions, not orders. The only ordering that can be done around here is by the mods. Discussions can also include people from the other side of the issue.
The opinions on both sides are fine, that's what's suppose to happen. What comes across as an order is someone posting "GET OVER IT" or "MOVE ON" or "DEAL WITH IT". That does not come off as a request or a suggestion but as an order.

A way of saying the same thing, without it coming off as an order would be to say "It might be wise of you to find a way to get over it so that you can be emotionally healthy and move on with your life".

In saying it that way a person would show that they are concerned about the effect of holding hard feelings and anger against someone and they are offering a way to cope with it by suggesting that they move on. It's a lot less abrasive and a lot less likely to get a terse reply back. Whatdaya think?

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
1. Not open to public. Close friends/family/handlers/press.

2. Don't include ISU in it till the end if we never were truly a consideration.

3. Say something nice about the coach like you did for the other 5.

4. Don't put up a large sized pic of Roy in the hometown of ISU.

5. If he truly was the grounded, intelligent, classy kid he would have held a low key presser and announced his choice and moved on.

1. Wow, yeah that was going to happen.
2. So you know ISU was never a true consideration? How about Duke or the others?
3. He said a lot of nice stuff about ISU.
4. I will agree the Skype thing was lame, but that is all I would agree to then.
5. If it was low key you would be ******** anyway. There is no low key for elite recuits anymore.

In the end you people want something to cry about, it is about that is done well here.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
Yes, but name one other recruit who invited 400? That is how else he is supposed to it.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
[quote1. Wow, yeah that was going to happen.
2. So you know ISU was never a true consideration? How about Duke or the others?
3. He said a lot of nice stuff about ISU.
4. I will agree the Skype thing was lame, but that is all I would agree to then.
5. If it was low key you would be ******** anyway. There is no low key for elite recuits anymore.
][/quote]

Now that I look back on it I realize we were never a real choice for him. If we were a real choice he would have chosen Iowa State. When UNC came calling it became about them and Duke.
You really think OU had a chance either. I never did and nobody else did either. Yet he kept telling them the same stuff he told Iowa State.
He used all of our stuff until the end. Even played in the basketball practice facility the night before his decision. If he knew when he said he did on soundoff he would have never showed up to the gym that night. He would have told our coaches and moved on. Not to mention he is still asking to use our practice facility.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I've been on here quite a bit and have yet to see one actual post stating that. (they may exist by are by far a very very minute number)

I have not seen those posts either and I have been following the saga quite closely.

I would not be surprised people are doing them trying to make the ISU fanbase look bad. Think Hawkeye fans or even hb fans wanting to deflect from real honest criticism of how the decision was made.

Most people are not all that upset or surprised with the decision itself. We do retain the right to feel used repeatedly by Barnes and his people however. hb or people close to him had to know how showing Roy's face to a room with all sorts of Cyclone fans in it.

I have a question that still has not been answered, was Gary Thompson invited specifically to the event, or did he just show up on his own?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Yeah I was curious about the Gary Thompson thing as well. I felt bad he had to go there and listen to someone dump his Iowa State Cyclones.