Team McDermott or Team Hoiberg

clone2003

Sep 1, 2013
Watched Creighton yesterday vs. Villanova and they looked really good, granted they were at home. With the media now behind him it looks like McDermott is going to be the National POY.

It got me to thinking, as ISU fans, would we rather have National POY candidate Doug McD and his dad at ISU this year (this year only) surrounded by several good role players - or - would we rather have the current ISU roster as presently assembled for this season only?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
[video=youtube;blxNPHEO51Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blxNPHEO51Y[/video]

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
They averaged 98.5 vs. Nova this year, if I had the numbers right, while Nova usually gives us 66.7

Creighton is very good, but they're at another level vs. Nova.

All that said, I'm keeping what we have. Everyone won this deal, and that's good enough for me.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Even with a star and role players (Brackins et al) McD's system essentially failed at the B12 level. He is back on his home level now, and is doing extremely well, and I'm happy for him. That said, I would NOT go back to that style of play...not even for a season.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Doug wouldn't be doing Doug things if he played in the Big 12. So I'll take our guys.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Hoiberg by miles....especially next year when Doug is gone to the NBA and the fighting Mcdermotts come back to Earth.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Even with a star and role players (Brackins et al) McD's system essentially failed at the B12 level. He is back on his home level now, and is doing extremely well, and I'm happy for him. That said, I would NOT go back to that style of play...not even for a season.

His style of play now is the uptempo thing he talked about for his last season here. It's no race to 40 out there. Actually a fun team to watch.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Hmmm... let's see, pick between a sack of crap coach - who couldn't "hack it" in a BIG TIME league in the Big 12 or a guy that actually WINS and wants to be at Iowa State?

Stupid question. May nobody EVER speak of the guy that came before Fred ever again. Only winning now because of his son. He will be terrible once he's gone.

End Thread.

Last edited:

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012

Pops McDermott wouldn't have played his son much. He's got too much size.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
im rooting for Creighton. I still respect Coach McD. It wasn't a good fit, but a stand up man with character.

My dream scenario for the NCAA tourney, sans ISU, is Iowa and Creighton meet up ... and meet up early (first weekend) , and watch Creighton cruise to the second weekend.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I'll take Freddie and 2/30 guys on the Wooden Watch list, if you took all the players on both teams, mixed them up and rated them. Creighton would have the #1 player, we'd have the next 6 or 7 spots easily. Even with that said, Creighton vs ISU would be a very entertaining game to watch.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
His style of play now is the uptempo thing he talked about for his last season here. It's no race to 40 out there. Actually a fun team to watch.

Creighton really isn't uptempo, they are 206th in the nation in tempo, they are just insanely efficient on offense this year. Their offensive efficiency rating would be number one in the country in any other year going back to 2003 (when KenPom began keeping data) but they are second this year behind Duke's incredible offense.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I am hateful and vengeful and always root against Creighton. What bothered me most was the players that kept fleeing the program when he was here. Very suspicious about that.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
McDermott has proven only that he can win at a mid-major. I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole at a major conference school.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I'll take Freddie and 2/30 guys on the Wooden Watch list, if you took all the players on both teams, mixed them up and rated them. Creighton would have the #1 player, we'd have the next 6 or 7 spots easily. Even with that said, Creighton vs ISU would be a very entertaining game to watch.

Well we may very well get that chance.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron