Talen Horton-Tucker next year

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Everytime I get reminded of it I am always amazed at what Prohm did in the state of Illinois for the class of 2018. As Henricksen put well as an Illinois native - "Getting three out of the top four players in Illinois is unique, odd and special."

Enjoyed his analysis. I do find it interesting that in the whole state of Illinois, that Conditt is his #4 because he goes on to say that he's definitely a redshirt candidate in his opinion and really needs to develop. Wouldn't you think there would be a few more 'college ready' type seniors in the whole state of Illinois plus Chicago area besides THT, Ayo, and ZG? Will be interesting how long it will take Conditt to contribute at the college level, but people love 'potential'.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Enjoyed his analysis. I do find it interesting that in the whole state of Illinois, that Conditt is his #4 because he goes on to say that he's definitely a redshirt candidate in his opinion and really needs to develop. Wouldn't you think there would be a few more 'college ready' type seniors in the whole state of Illinois plus Chicago area besides THT, Ayo, and ZG? Will be interesting how long it will take Conditt to contribute at the college level, but people love 'potential'.
Really I think his skills are almost there, but he needs to get way stronger. That is what everyone thinks of him from what I can tell. He may not be 4th best but possibly because of potential he is boosted up more than most?

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

That #4 could be for potential rather than immediate contribution. Best "prospect" can mean some combination of both, depending on the player.

Conditt could be a heck of a stretch big in a couple of years. A redshirt now, with so much ahead of him and 13 men on scholarship, would help him.

I have posted this before, but my dream is that Conditt has a career arc like this...

Luke Kornet
Position: Forward-Center
7-0, 235lb (213cm, 106kg)

upload_2018-1-23_14-40-38.png
upload_2018-1-23_14-40-26.png
upload_2018-1-23_14-41-51.png

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
LOL no
I see the lineup like this:
PG: Babb
SG: Wigginton
SF: Shaylok
SF: Talley
PF: Lard
Bench: Young, Tucker, Lewis, 2 others for spare minutes.

Looking fairly good. But I would realistically want a somewhat deeper bench. I think only playing 7-8 guys so far this season is kinda killing us. Having more bodies also bodes well for practice sessions too.

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
LOL no
I'd like to see Talley start but he hasn't proved it yet. I think Prohm would start Young. And Lewis needs to improve a lot to get more minutes next year.

• Agree
Reactions: acgclone

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Looking fairly good. But I would realistically want a somewhat deeper bench. I think only playing 7-8 guys so far this season is kinda killing us. Having more bodies also bodes well for practice sessions too.

Have you never watched the Iowa Hawkeyes? 7-8 man rotations are all you need. Our problem is we aren't very good 6-8. If Young and Jacobson are coming off the bench, you're bringing legitimate P5 size and experience in for depth. Then you have 3 Top 100ish guys coming in between Lewis, THT, and Griffin. That's 10. By conference play, you cut it down to 8. By March, maybe 7 depending on how the pieces fit together.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Have you never watched the Iowa Hawkeyes? 7-8 man rotations are all you need. Our problem is we aren't very good 6-8. If Young and Jacobson are coming off the bench, you're bringing legitimate P5 size and experience in for depth. Then you have 3 Top 100ish guys coming in between Lewis, THT, and Griffin. That's 10. By conference play, you cut it down to 8. By March, maybe 7 depending on how the pieces fit together.

Our problem is not so much talent as it is the mix of skills (this year, we've really needed Lewis and Long to be more ready than they have been for a role). We need a mix of guys that can do more of a variety of things (like the ability to go small). Obviously we have more flexibility in that regard next year, but I still think we'll go 8-9 deep in any given game, with a high probability that guy number 8 or 9 could change based on match ups.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Indeed. We have five guys who are Big 12 starter-quality.

We just lack a star or two to really compete at the top level.

And we lack a couple of Big 12-level bench guys for support.

I hope Wigginton and Lard are about to become the former.

I think Shayok, Jacobson, and our freshmen should fill the bench (at least).

We have four -- just need another few.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Our problem is not so much talent as it is the mix of skills (this year, we've really needed Lewis and Long to be more ready than they have been for a role). We need a mix of guys that can do more of a variety of things (like the ability to go small). Obviously we have more flexibility in that regard next year, but I still think we'll go 8-9 deep in any given game, with a high probability that guy number 8 or 9 could change based on match ups.

I'd say it's both. Babb, Wigginton, and Lard are sure-fire Big 12 starters. An argument could be made that Young, Talley, and Jackson are bench players for a good Big 12 team. I understand Jackson can light it up, but he's completely one-dimensional and undersized. I can't call Lewis or Long talented given their production, but that's just semantics. We're two pieces shy of a tournament team.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
LOL no

We have 5 guys returning already in the rotation.
Add two P5 starter transfers
And a recruiting class w/ THT and Griffin.

I'd be shocked if Lewis finds rotation minutes next year.
IMHO I see Lewis developing into an off the bench gunner by his JR year.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'd like to see Talley start but he hasn't proved it yet. I think Prohm would start Young. And Lewis needs to improve a lot to get more minutes next year.

Young can't start next year. We're seeing it right now. He needs to play down low but you have to play Lard down low. Unless he develops a way to be effective on the perimeter, someone else will be getting the minutes there, whether its Talley, Long, or inserting THT and playing with he or Shayok at the 4. This offense needs to be more dynamic and Young doesn't do that.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I'd say it's both. Babb, Wigginton, and Lard are sure-fire Big 12 starters. An argument could be made that Young, Talley, and Jackson are bench players for a good Big 12 team. I understand Jackson can light it up, but he's completely one-dimensional and undersized. I can't call Lewis or Long talented given their production, but that's just semantics. We're two pieces shy of a tournament team.
We need consistency, but we don’t have the experience or the talent to be consistent imo.

We need a little more of a lot of things from all of the guys, or have a couple guys become so good that mediocre works at the other 3 spots.

We’re not far off, particularly when healthy, but a lot of non-tournament and losing teams aren’t far off. Hopefully adding Shayok, THT, and Jacobson but losing DJ is enough of a net gain alongside a little development from the returning guys

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron