Talen Horton-Tucker next year

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Young can't start next year. We're seeing it right now. He needs to play down low but you have to play Lard down low. Unless he develops a way to be effective on the perimeter, someone else will be getting the minutes there, whether its Talley, Long, or inserting THT and playing with he or Shayok at the 4. This offense needs to be more dynamic and Young doesn't do that.
That is my thought as well. Isn’t multi-dimensional enough but seeing as it’s a year away, he has the ability to change that.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
That is my thought as well. Isn’t multi-dimensional enough but seeing as it’s a year away, he has the ability to change that.

I don't know that it's about being multi-dimensional. It's about finding a role in something he can do well that other people don't. If we look at it right now, what he does well is play good post defense and offer a large body down low. Those are his best attributes. Here's the problem: Lard is objectively better at all of them. Now, we have to understand that as far as a well rounded modern day post player, he's bordering on elite. He's Top 50 in OR%, top 250 in DR%, Top 100 in 2P%, Top 25 in block %. Right now, solo is better at not turning it over, assist rate and 3P shooting but all of those, at this point, are differences without distinction. Here's what I see: Young isn't going to "beat out" Lard in those categories due to pure physical gifts. What he can do is become a really good passer as a post, improve his shooting and become a stretch 4 that can also play at the 5 at times. Last year, he was the body we needed with that roster. Now, he's kind of in no mans land as far as role is concerned and it doesn't help him at all that due to the surfacing of Lard, he now is moved on the floor to places where he isn't going to be as successful.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Whether he starts or not, there are plenty of minutes for Solo. He's a big body and can defend and rebound. Big guys get in foul trouble. He and Lard can play 30 minutes each, and not even be on the court all that much together.

And I think he will get better offensively in time.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'm guessing that Solo and Prohm will figure out what he needs to develop for next yr. and they work on that and get it accomplished. I'm always kind of bewildered by the number of people who don't think a player can improve/change from yr to yr.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Solo is by far our best Post Defender and it's not even close. Lard is a better shot blocker but when it comes to actual defense and really trying to stop a guy he can't even touch Solo in that category. They can both rebound really well. If Solo can find the 3 point shooting he had in HS he can really change the dynamic of the team.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'm guessing that Solo and Prohm will figure out what he needs to develop for next yr. and they work on that and get it accomplished. I'm always kind of bewildered by the number of people who don't think a player can improve/change from yr to yr.

I don't think anyone thinks he can't get better. One thing I've heard a few times from people outside the program is how good Prohm is with individual skill work. Obviously they will be working on things, but so will everyone else in the program.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Don't get me wrong THT is a beast at the HS level but that does not always translate right away to the college game just look at Terrence Lewis. Everyone thought he would be getting significant playing time before he got to campus and he has gotten spot min at best. He will get there it is just going to take him awhile and the case may be the same with THT. Solo has proven himself in the BIG 12 to have the starting spot next season and will have it until it gets taken from him.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
This year we have have a young stud post in Lard and we have a young stud guard in Wigginton, but neither of those guys create mismatches. Babb is the closes thing we have to a mismatch due to his size at PG, but he doesn't really exploit it and it is somewhat minimized by the fact he is typically playing with two smaller wings. I think Horton-Tucker and Shayok both have the potential to change that next year. They give you the option to go small or go big to create mismatches at the offensive end of the floor.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Don't get me wrong THT is a beast at the HS level but that does not always translate right away to the college game just look at Terrence Lewis. Everyone thought he would be getting significant playing time before he got to campus and he has gotten spot min at best. He will get there it is just going to take him awhile and the case may be the same with THT. Solo has proven himself in the BIG 12 to have the starting spot next season and will have it until it gets taken from him.

I think THT has a better shot at being ready from the start than Lewis. THT's high school plays a national schedule much like Wigginton did at Oak Hill. He may not be a starter day one, but I bet he will play significant minutes much like Wigginton this year.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Is there any possibility that Lard might not stay 4 years? I actually think there's at least a chance that he considers leaving for NBA after next year. If so, I sure hope Solo has continued to improve and is a major contributor.

Last edited:

ZZZ

Feb 10, 2013
Ames, IA
Solo is by far our best Post Defender and it's not even close. Lard is a better shot blocker but when it comes to actual defense and really trying to stop a guy he can't even touch Solo in that category. They can both rebound really well. If Solo can find the 3 point shooting he had in HS he can really change the dynamic of the team.
Completely agree. I think Solo has had moments where he can knock the three down (Baylor), but most of the time he looks uncomfortable on the wing. He shows flashes, I think he could break out next year.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyclad

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Is there any possibility that Lard might not stay 4 years? I actually think there's at least a chance that he considers leaving for NBA after next year. If so, I sure hope Solo has continued to improve and is a major contributor.

Yeah if he develops a consistent jumper he could easily leave early

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
If Young can establish himself as a 30% + threat from beyond the arc I’d start him at the 4 next year. If not I’m starting to lean more towards starting Talley with Young backing up both him and Lard, easily getting 25-30 min game.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I think THT has a better shot at being ready from the start than Lewis. THT's high school plays a national schedule much like Wigginton did at Oak Hill. He may not be a starter day one, but I bet he will play significant minutes much like Wigginton this year.

I've been thining about this and I'm going to raise you. ...drinking kool-aid tonight.

After watching him play some more, I honestly think he could help us this year. He for sure woud've been the best option for us when Talley was hurt and I think he's probably a good enough offensive player, to push for minutes. THT reminds of Teddy Allen, who we recruited, that get's minutes for WVU this year.

Reactions: bozclone

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
If Young can establish himself as a 30% + threat from beyond the arc I’d start him at the 4 next year. If not I’m starting to lean more towards starting Talley with Young backing up both him and Lard, easily getting 25-30 min game.

What we need is Melvin Ejim v2.0
-Undersized, under recruited PF (check)
-Plays lots of minutes early in career. Solid, but not spectacular. Rebounds well, drops passes misses dunks. (check)
-Hits 3s, has good handle, and wins B12 POY (pending)

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
So there's really only one starting spot open next year
1 Babb
2 Wiggington
3 Shayok
5 Lard

Watching THT I think he's that last starter. Maybe not immediately but by conference, similar to Lard's situation this year.

If he isn't ready I think you move Shayok to the 4 and let the wings fight it out for the last spot.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
So there's really only one starting spot open next year
1 Babb
2 Wiggington
3 Shayok
5 Lard

Watching THT I think he's that last starter. Maybe not immediately but by conference, similar to Lard's situation this year.

If he isn't ready I think you move Shayok to the 4 and let the wings fight it out for the last spot.

I still don't like the idea of THT trying to bully up on guys like Cook, Bamba, and Azubuike next season.

• Agree
Reactions: ILikeCy