Speed trap Cameras in Strawberry Point?

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
  1. Roundabouts are great - no wasting time waiting on a light to change.
  2. Tons of people in Iowa have no clue how to navigate a roundabout.
  3. If you get caught speeding, PAY YOUR D*** TICKET. You broke the law. The law is there for the safety of others. YOU ARE NOT ABOVE THE LAW.
  4. I'm going to guess the convergence of people not paying speeding tickets and people turning Iowa towns (like my neighborhood) into sounding like literal warzones starting about June 25th is pretty high.
  5. I'm also going to guess the convergence of said people with the folks that were still shooting off an insane amount of fireworks on July 3rd and 4th at about 1am is nearly 100%. Especially those people whose fireworks trash ended up all over my yard, and then left me to pick it all up.

• Winner
Reactions: dosry5

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
  1. Roundabouts are great - no wasting time waiting on a light to change.
  2. Tons of people in Iowa have no clue how to navigate a roundabout.
  3. If you get caught speeding, PAY YOUR D*** TICKET. You broke the law. The law is there for the safety of others. YOU ARE NOT ABOVE THE LAW.
  4. I'm going to guess the convergence of people not paying speeding tickets and people turning Iowa towns (like my neighborhood) into sounding like literal warzones starting about June 25th is pretty high.
  5. I'm also going to guess the convergence of said people with the folks that were still shooting off an insane amount of fireworks on July 3rd and 4th at about 1am is nearly 100%. Especially those people whose fireworks trash ended up all over my yard, and then left me to pick it all up.
Sounds like my neighborhood

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
The DDIs they recently put in here in WI have a green left turn arrow and a no left turn on red sign. Almost got hit a couple weeks ago by someone turning left on red.

Huh that’s different. There have actually been statements released by the IDOT and the Ankeny police saying you can. It’s considered a one way.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
IDOT announced they are building one by the Cedar Rapids airport over I380. That area desperately needs expansion given all the cargo truck traffic, but it's going to be scary watching mixed traffic mess that up.

I really don’t understand how people get messed up. The road takes you exactly where you should be driving.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
There's been a few on CF that seem to think anyone should be able to go as fast as they want and if they injure or kill another person, it's the other person's fault for being in the way when speed is generally the biggest reason for fatal crashes.

Those same folks will complain about roundabouts when roundabouts save money and time and are safer.
Except they haven't been proven to make anything all that much safer, and they'd all disappear overnight if the revenue didn't exceed the expense.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
For the record, I wasn't calling you out specifically. I know it's a pretty common practice for people not to pay them, it just doesn't make sense to me. If it would have been a sheriff that you didn't see before he clocked you, would you be considering not paying that ticket? It's not like these speed cameras are writing tickets for 5 over, they are all for 11+. Just seems whiney and entitled for people to get caught speeding and then think that they are above the penalty.

And yes I've gotten a speed camera ticket in a place I didnt know had them, and paid it.

The Sheriff issues a ticket to the driver. The speed cameras issue a ticket to whoever the license plates are registered to. That may not be the same person.

And really, it's based on what the camera thinks is a license plate. There was a story, and maybe just urban legend, that when one particular city installed cameras, a group of enterprising high school students would accept dollars in exchange for finding a classmate with the same type of car as your target, print a decent quality looking plate on the school printer, tape it to the car, and get your target a ticket.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I especially love it when people in a roundabout try to make a 135+ degree right turn to go up an exit ramp while I'm coming down it.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The only roundabout that I'm not in love with is the one by the research park and Airport.
Make thay left turn out of there a double lane to the East! I scoot around that mofo.

Reactions: cwood1967

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Those and the diverging diamond intersections at 1st in Ankeny and Grand Prairie out in Waukee.

They do need to put up some signs to let people know you can take a left through the red coming off the interstate. Nobody knows you can do that.

Oops I stayed stopped at that just today, because I didn't think left on reds were legal. Sorry hope you weren't behind me.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Except they haven't been proven to make anything all that much safer, and they'd all disappear overnight if the revenue didn't exceed the expense.

Well then write your representatives and let them know.

Be the voice.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Oops I stayed stopped at that just today, because I didn't think left on reds were legal. Sorry hope you weren't behind me.

If it’s a left turn arrow, you can turn. If it’s a straight arrow once you’re part way through the intersection, you can’t.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If it’s a left turn arrow, you can turn. If it’s a straight arrow once you’re part way through the intersection, you can’t.

Is this a lane to lane connection? I.e. no lanes crossed to make the turn?