South End Zone Plans Regents meeting

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
It's possible that somebody would buy those suites, especially if their price is a little bit lower than those on the sidelines.

Bingo. Just price then at a lower point than the sideline suites. Just another stop on the way up the premium seating ladder.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I think suites in the endzone would sell pretty fast, especially if the price point is right.
There seems to be quite the demand for endzone seating as some people like that view, not to mention that gigantic HD videoboard in their faces. Suites or another club section would sell quickly. People can get all the perks of a suite or a club seat for a cheaper price.
I would love for there to be a lower bowl, suites or club section along the concourse, and then an upper deck with really cheap seats. I would buy season tix in the upper deck as soon as they went on sale.

Pseudonym

Apr 7, 2009
San Francisco, California
How is Iowa State educating students these days? Do you people not know how to read?

Let's start, the agenda says:
This project will complete the original facility master plan proposed in June 2006 and the Permission to Proceed with Planning for the South End Zone in May 2008 that will allow
increased revenue capabilities via the addition of permanent seating, premium seating and
improved amenities for stadium patrons. This project will also provide much needed storage
space, address infrastructure upgrades, and re-configure parking areas in the vicinity of the
stadium.

The addition of an upper deck to the south end zone will provide an opportunity to increase the
stadium’s capacity with noticeable aesthetic improvements to the stadium.

The south end zone video board and sound system will be replaced to provide enhancements to
the existing stadium systems.

Now, what should we do to decipher exactly what that means? Oh, I have an idea, lets go back to the May 2008 regent meeting and find out what the "Permission to Proceed with Planning for the South End Zone" involved, since they clearly state this will complete that specific project.

So what does the regent minutes from May 2008 say in regards to the "Permission to Proceed with Planning for the South End Zone" project? Lets take a look!

The Phase 2 project would replace and expand the south end zone seating area, to include construction of an upper deck; construct additional premium seating areas (club, suite, or loge);
upgrade the east concourse concession/restroom buildings; develop a new operations,
maintenance and storage facility for the stadium and adjacent athletic practice fields; and address
fencing and various other safety, security, and deferred maintenance issues at the Stadium.

All of this is notwithstanding the fact that the current agenda explicitly states that:
The addition of an upper deck to the south end zone will provide an opportunity to increase the stadium’s capacity with noticeable aesthetic improvements to the stadium.

For god's sake people, how do 3/4 of you have no idea how to read or use any kind of reasoning skills?

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Considering a lot of people really love their south endzone seats, it isn't going to be an issue. If you don't want to buy a suit in the SEZ, don't. That's your opinion.

Ah, now I see where they got the extra money. The Men's Warehouse South Endzone! You're gonna love the way you look, I guarantee it!

btw, I am not one to call out spelling mistakes as I make a ton of them... I just like any excuse for a Men's Warehouse joke

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
JP has to keep expectations in check as well. I am sure the addition will be very nice and appropriate. JP can't let people's imagination run away with them and be ultimately disappointed in the outcome. Given what ISU has gotten for its money in athletics improvements since he's been here, we should all be excited about this project regardless of what number is ascribed to JTS capacity.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
In comparison: Here's what Notre Dame is doing for stadium upgrades.
NCAAF Stadium capacity could reach 84K - ESPN

only 400 million dollars worth.

That looks awesome...

52e90878697a3.image.jpg

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Two decks, premium seating, and a new scoreboard, what more could we ask for?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
One of my fellow coworkers emails JP from time to time. He asked JP if there'd be an upper deck and Jaime said something along the lines of: "We can't make decisions based on emotions."

Color me pessimistic.

Did your coworker simply ask if there would be an upper deck or did s/he ask something like this:

"Are you going to put an upper deck on this thing because frankly without an upper deck it will look ridiculously lame and not be worth doing?"

Jamie has to manage expectations because if the Regents balk, they might have to adjust the project and cut things - including possibly the upper deck.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Did your coworker simply ask if there would be an upper deck or did s/he ask something like this:

"Are you going to put an upper deck on this thing because frankly without an upper deck it will look ridiculously lame and not be worth doing?"

Jamie has to manage expectations because if the Regents balk, they might have to adjust the project and cut things - including possibly the upper deck.

He didn't really ask; he told Jamie (paraphrasing from what I remember) that he hopes we increase capacity by adding the upper deck.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I'm more concerned about what we'll talk about on here when this is complete.

A ribbon video board that runs the entire length of the upper deck ledges would be sweet. Those old style black with red lights are really out of date. Plus it would add more advertising opportunities. Digital photos instead of plastic sheets with lights behind them.

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
A ribbon video board that runs the entire length of the upper deck ledges would be sweet. Those old style black with red lights are really out of date. Plus it would add more advertising opportunities. Digital photos instead of plastic sheets with lights behind them.

but what will the students bang on from the upper deck?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

I hope that is part of this upgrade.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
After seeing the phase 2 plans I would be shocked if there weren't more practice fields added somewhere on the South End of the stadium. Which would allow spring practices to be closer to the stadium/football facilities locker rooms etc. I know they only use them for spring ball right now, but it seems stupid that our team practices over by the golf course during spring ball.

We have the Johnny Majors facility for when the season gets going, but I believe they usually reserve that for the fall so they don't tear up the turf before the season.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron