South End Zone Plans Regents meeting

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah it will be interesting to see what size of video board will be implemented into the SEZ.

Yeah, since we're already building the structure, that should take care of a lot of the cost of the board, as compared to the NEZ one that had to all be built just for the board.

At some point id like ribbon board around the stadium too, especially if we connect the SEZ upper deck to the sides. The little boards and ads we have look about 30 years out of date.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Since EA Sports no longer makes a college football game, I'm a little upset that when this is all finished we can't see it in the game! lol. Would suck to be a Baylor fan because their new stadium is going to be awesome.

I thought the EA Sports game was a national treasure. A school like ISU benefited greatly from free virtual tours to many young people, who are very difficult to reach, on a nationwide scale. That type of brand building is otherwise only available to a handful of traditional powerhouses.

I guess this is an early, unwitting casualty of ongoing changes we can expect to see with respect to the NCAA and its relationship with the players. Ever evolving digital rights, including your ownership of images including your likeness, are also contributing factors. We can only hope that the power brokers out there will see the error of their ways and find a way to bring this game back. Gaming is an important revenue generating medium with a broad reach, as is cable television.

THey brought Family Guy back to life after a 2 year hiatus, didn't they? Why not EA Sports NCAA Football? I think it could happen.

Last edited:

GWad

Aug 22, 2013
Yeah, we need a polygraph test to know if this is legit. Or at least a good faith I can confirm and I'm not messing with the rest of us poor souls who are anxious to see this thing come to fruition.
Ideas being tossed around NOT any thing close to final plans. It's when you start costing out ideas that plans morph to an end product. But the guy showing them has a bit of pull. I'll bet on fall before the public sees any design of substance.

Splendid

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
Knowing how JP has timed releases in the past, the designs will probably come out right before ticket renewals start.

The Mangino hire will keep most season ticket holders intact. Your idea of JP releasing those plans around renewal time will be spot on in my estimation.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Doubt it. Currently 42,000 actual seats roughly. You'd have to add a full side of the stadium into the endzone and that's after you lose the corner sections so the wrap isn't 50 feet away from the field.

I was reacting to the idea of a connecting double deck & referring to total capacity; not just actual seats. We're already just under 58,000 total capacity with hillsides & endzone seating. Yes; the east & west sides alone are a little over 42,000. Before the Jacobson building, both endzones had equal bleachers:

IA_401101.jpg

The combined endzone bleachers & hillsides added about 8,000 to total capacity. So let's say one connecting lower bowl gives you about 4,000 actual seats. A connecting upper deck would come close to doubling that I would think. Our record attendance is 57,800. 57,800 + upper bowl 4,000 = 61,800.

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
I thought the EA Sports game was a national treasure. A school like ISU benefited greatly from free virtual tours to many young people, who are very difficult to reach, on a nationwide scale. That type of brand building is otherwise only available to a handful of traditional powerhouses.

I guess this is an early, unwitting casualty of ongoing changes we can expect to see with respect to the NCAA and its relationship with the players. Ever evolving digital rights, including your ownership of images including your likeness, are also contributing factors. We can only hope that the power brokers out there will see the error of their ways and find a way to bring this game back. Gaming is an important revenue generating medium with a broad reach, as is cable television.

THey brought Family Guy back to life after a 2 year hiatus, didn't they? Why not EA Sports NCAA Football? I think it could happen.

It will be truly sad if never get to see it again on a new console...

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Additionally, the document confirms the plan for an upper deck, saying the addition of an upper-level in the south end zone would, ‘provide an opportunity to increase the stadium’s capacity with noticeable aesthetic improvements.’

Okay, I'm holding them to this now. :v_SPIN:

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Additionally, the document confirms the plan for an upper deck, saying the addition of an upper-level in the south end zone would, ‘provide an opportunity to increase the stadium’s capacity with noticeable aesthetic improvements.’

SEZUD or bust!

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I hope that they can find a way to make a tunnel under University to take away from the vehicle/fan interaction. When I was up there Saturday for the bball game I looked and it seems feasible to try and put a concrete box, like the one on the south side of Hilton, to go under the road.

Oct 10, 2012
Des Moines

Upper deck is neccessary if you want a middle part that can be club seats. And Jack Trice is desperate for more club seats than anything else.

1- add as many club seats as possible in the project
2-add large upper deck that is sold as GA. (You can oversell it big time and stick people who don't arrive early enough to get a seat in the north end zones.)
3-sell beer (WVA already does.)

Thats big time revenue. Add in the fact that ISU hoop averages more fans than some NBA teams and the school is in position to be a has got and not a has not when pay for play inevitably changes the college sports landscape.

You don't want to **** it up though. Look at what Debbie Yow did to Maryland ignoring advice to not expand the stadium. The school had no choice but to **** off its fanbase by moving to a conference its fans don't want to be in and taking nice short road trips to Lincoln and IC to pay for the massive loans that burdened the school due to a moronic stadium expansion.

What ISU does not want to do is drastically lower the supply of cheap seats (hillsides) while dramatically increasing the quantity of somewhat more expensive ones while not adding club seats that are in huge demand due to the stadium having hardly any right now.

A huge GA upper deck is the move to make.

KcClone01

Aug 18, 2008
KC, MO
The early designs that I saw had a lower horseshoe bowl. I loved what Yankee Stadium did with the Walk of Fame in Centerfield, the Babe Ruth Pavilion, and the best stadium food I've ever had.

Glad to be able to talk to a structural engineer. So, in layman's terms, what would be so expensive to tie-in the SEZ with the upper side decks? And, what would be so bad about doing a tie-in that would be far less expensive than the "perfect" way to do it in terms of design. It is not like Jack Trice is or ever will be an architectural gem like C.Y. Stephens. It seems that the appearance from the Reiman side may be more important in terms of appearance.

sorry forgot I posted on here. When I wrote that post I was in the middle of travelling back from the middle east.

My guess is economically they would not alter the existing upper decks (east and west) unless the sight lines were a problem. they would build the south upper deck with a seperation (at least 6" each side) between the three structures (E, W and South). Probably not connect them, the only place that would be beneficial to connect would be walk ways like at the front row and where the vomitories open to seating bowl.

But if they were to connect them structurally, have every row be able to cross between E, S, and W, they would likely need to be build a column and raker (sloped seating bowl beam) very close to where the existing bowl stops, to lmit the vertical movement between the cantilevered section of seating bowl from the existing and the new. then they would need an expansion jointbetwen the two that allows diferential movement. (expansion joints like these are not cheap, up to $50-$100 per linear foot). That's a lot of money just so people can walk around the upper bowl.

KcClone01

Aug 18, 2008
KC, MO
Construction may not be the tricky part. Engineering dollars can add up quickly if you add in constraints. If you decide you want to tie into the existing upper decks, that would require an engineering study of the existing decks to determine what exactly you can do. If it's determined that you need extra strengthening, you now get to try and figure out how you make that happen.

Actually structural engineering fees typically amount to around 0.5% to 1% of the total cost of the building, Achitectural fees are around 7%. So saying something will take more engineering has less of an impact on cost than almost everything else in terms of construction cost. The decisions made by the engineer or arch from that analysis or design can definitely have a big impact on cost.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
sorry forgot I posted on here. When I wrote that post I was in the middle of travelling back from the middle east.

My guess is economically they would not alter the existing upper decks (east and west) unless the sight lines were a problem. they would build the south upper deck with a seperation (at least 6" each side) between the three structures (E, W and South). Probably not connect them, the only place that would be beneficial to connect would be walk ways like at the front row and where the vomitories open to seating bowl.

But if they were to connect them structurally, have every row be able to cross between E, S, and W, they would likely need to be build a column and raker (sloped seating bowl beam) very close to where the existing bowl stops, to lmit the vertical movement between the cantilevered section of seating bowl from the existing and the new. then they would need an expansion jointbetwen the two that allows diferential movement. (expansion joints like these are not cheap, up to $50-$100 per linear foot). That's a lot of money just so people can walk around the upper bowl.

That that engineering business sounds nice but what about rope bridges?:jimlad:

Help Support Us

Become a patron