South End Zone Plans Regents meeting

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

KcClone01

Aug 18, 2008
KC, MO
Structural engineer here, who has worked on the structural design of some iconic stadiums and arenas.... Anything is possible, regarding connecting the upperdeck, or changing the line of sights and curvature of the upper bowl at the South End. It ultimatley comes down to cost. So when people write it's impossible they should be corrected as to its cost prohibitive.

Personally I would like to see a lower horsehoe bowl, with an upper concourse that allows for future expansion. Behind the new seating they could have a hall of fame, gathering space (think of the area at yankee stadium where the pep rally was held for ISU), training facilities, or administration. Upper should be a phased approach get the lower bowl built with structural capacity for expansion. Then build up the upper bowl and concourse at a later date. Potentially adding a club space/suites between the upper and lower bowl.

Reactions: dinger

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
Sorry to burst everybody's bubble but I know a few of the companies involved and the firms wont start designing this till this regent meeting is over from my understanding. They are picking one design team based off past design work and moving on from there, rather than having five companies submit renderings. A few of these companies are BIG with ongoing NFL stadium work. Stay tuned

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Do you get what it means to not be cost effective?

"Cost effective" was not an issue in the post to which I was responding. So, while I do "get what it means," that wasn't what I was addressing.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Structural engineer here, who has worked on the structural design of some iconic stadiums and arenas.... Anything is possible, regarding connecting the upperdeck, or changing the line of sights and curvature of the upper bowl at the South End. It ultimatley comes down to cost. So when people write it's impossible they should be corrected as to its cost prohibitive.

Personally I would like to see a lower horsehoe bowl, with an upper concourse that allows for future expansion. Behind the new seating they could have a hall of fame, gathering space (think of the area at yankee stadium where the pep rally was held for ISU), training facilities, or administration. Upper should be a phased approach get the lower bowl built with structural capacity for expansion. Then build up the upper bowl and concourse at a later date. Potentially adding a club space/suites between the upper and lower bowl.

The early designs that I saw had a lower horseshoe bowl. I loved what Yankee Stadium did with the Walk of Fame in Centerfield, the Babe Ruth Pavilion, and the best stadium food I've ever had.

Glad to be able to talk to a structural engineer. So, in layman's terms, what would be so expensive to tie-in the SEZ with the upper side decks? And, what would be so bad about doing a tie-in that would be far less expensive than the "perfect" way to do it in terms of design. It is not like Jack Trice is or ever will be an architectural gem like C.Y. Stephens. It seems that the appearance from the Reiman side may be more important in terms of appearance.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I've heard others say it "doesn't tie together easily," but what does that mean? Does it just mean that you can't buy off-the-shelf pieces of iron? Seriously, it would seem that any project would involve some tricky construction. Couldn't you just adjust the slope, curve, and depth to make it work? The major support is going to be underneath, so it seems that you could be quite flexible with what you do for the actual upper deck, especially if you do something to make an adjustment right where the SEZ upper deck meets the upper side decks (or maybe that is what the architects would say then "isn't really tying the decks together)".

Construction may not be the tricky part. Engineering dollars can add up quickly if you add in constraints. If you decide you want to tie into the existing upper decks, that would require an engineering study of the existing decks to determine what exactly you can do. If it's determined that you need extra strengthening, you now get to try and figure out how you make that happen.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Is the expectation that it be a continuos horseshoe?
I assumed it would be a free standing structure, like the filled in end of tOSU horseshoe, or a lower section with suites and a video board above it. Rather than try to work the angle so it doesn't loop out away from the end zone, just build it closer and steeper with all the seats facing north.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
There have been some great renderings of the SEZ project posted here in the past. I'm sure whatever the final plan is, it will look great.
I just can't wait to see that horrible south video board removed.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

Ha- I was in school the year the south video board & metal bleachers were installed. They were new and wonderful at the time (tho the sound system sucked from day one).

Every time I read this thread title, I trick myself into believing the South End Zone has become self aware. Hopefully it will devise a way to assimilate our opponents.

th

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I've been up to a bunch of spring practices in the past and they have always been either indoors, in the stadium, or in the JM Facility. During fall camp they go across the street to save the good fields for the season

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
There have been some great renderings of the SEZ project posted here in the past. I'm sure whatever the final plan is, it will look great.

Those renderings were done by RDG back in I think 2005, so the final rendering probably wont look anything like that. And as far as I know RDG is one of many teams competing for the job, the final result will probably look much different.

I know for a fact that Pollard is requiring some sort of Club seating/ area in the newer portion. Other than that I think its mostly open to the design groups. but again, they wont start actually designing anything till after this meeting and when a winner is picked (winner based off merits and presentation, not a design proposal)

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Is the expectation that it be a continuos horseshoe?
I assumed it would be a free standing structure, like the filled in end of tOSU horseshoe, or a lower section with suites and a video board above it. Rather than try to work the angle so it doesn't loop out away from the end zone, just build it closer and steeper with all the seats facing north.

I think for the lower bowl yes, and based on previous drawings released by the athletic department I'd be pretty surprised if the lower bowl isn't a continuous horseshoe. The upper bowl is a different story.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised, if they didn't at least take a look at a stadium, that was built with the same plans as the Jack.

Milan Puskar Stadium - WVU Athletics

Maybe ours will be drastically different, who knows.

I think that the curve of the lower level will be exactly the same, but, I'd be really surprised if the front of the stands didn't extend all the way to the ground. It's going to be right behind where those people are standing in the pic. I think that the concourse will extend at the same level all the way around the south end and there will probably be 2 new concession/restroom buildings behind the concourse (and the back of those buildings will form the new south façade. I DON'T think that the upper level will be connected to the east and west stands, although there may be walkways connecting it. To complete that circle, the stands would have to go WAY out there. I'm also guessing that there will be two smaller video screens on top of the upper level flanking some sort of logo signage....possibly built into the façade that we'll see from the road.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I guess i'll just say i dont care if the upper deck connects. Id rather have it be something quality and hopefully brings fans (and their volume) in closer to the field than a horseshoe might do.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I guess i'll just say i dont care if the upper deck connects. Id rather have it be something quality and hopefully brings fans (and their volume) in closer to the field than a horseshoe might do.
Yep. Even if we had the cash, I'd prefer it does not connect so that the structure can be closer and spend the extra millions of dollars it would have cost to connect on other stadium improvements. For how much extra it would cost, I imagine we could get some type of seating in the NEZ.

Apr 19, 2006

Problem with the build the second level at a later date means that it may never get done.

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
Make the lower bowl match and look connected to the other two lower bowls in the stadium. Then have a one and a half to two story like structure at concourse level for suites. On top of that add an upper deck seating that doesn't connect to either side. In the middle of that upper deck could be another video board. It would be sweet to have two of them, but the second one doesn't need to be as big. Also, the digital signs on the both sides need to be replaced. New ribbon boards should be put up that is at least 2-3 times longer than the current ones.

Phase 3 will be the eventual addition or brand new press box for the stadium.