Snow Blower Recommendations for Iowa Winters

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Do you think anyone with a 2 stage has ever said to themselves "I wish I would have gotten a less powerful single stage"? It's like buying a 4cyl Mustang, you'll always be wishing that you had paid just a little more for the V8.

There are times I wish I had a single stage with the rubber paddles to clear the light fluffly stuff rather than a shovel.

Reactions: dmclone

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Planning on purchasing a snow blower for my parents this Christmas. For those with experience using them during Iowa winters, would a single-stage blower be adequate or should I just go ahead with a two-stage? Residential neighborhood in Des Moines, fairly standard single car driveway (maybe 60 feet long) and sidewalk to clear. Open to any recommendations or brands to avoid, I was thinking of getting a gasoline powered blower with an electric start. Thanks in advance.

Full disclosure: I went straight from shoveling to a two-stager years ago so I can't comment on the single-stage blowers. But given the size of the area and the fact that you're buying this for older people (who I presume have less stamina to struggle with a blower dealing with big snowfalls), I would go for the two-stage.

Granted, that's more power than you will probably need for most snowstorms. You might only really *need* a two-stager maybe 2-3 times per year. But that alone will make it worth it. I think back to that Super Bowl snowstorm from two years ago, and even a two-stager struggled with a foot of wet/heavy snow that drifted even higher in many places.

I had a mid-tier Craftsman up until a couple of years ago but I found it to be a bit underpowered with the really deep and/or heavy stuff. Then I got an Ariens (again, a mid-tier model) and it's been great. In fact last year, I noticed it was only working *okay* instead of its usual high performance. I realized I had broken a shear pin and only half of the blades were turning. So it was still completely adequate even when it was only half-working.

The Ariens seems like a more durable body construction than my Craftsman. Plus it's a well-known brand so you'll never struggle to find parts or service if you need it.

Reactions: Jacktronic

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I have a MTD snow blower that I bought from Mills Fleet Farm several years back for $679 less 10% for taking out a Mills Fleet Farm Credit Card that I have never used since. Two stage blower with the bigger engine, electric start and lights. Works good. 28" wide. Extra power is nice for big snows, but I am from northern Iowa. Don't buy the 5 hp engine or 208 cc engine as it won't have much power IMO. If you do get one of those then make sure it does not take the 26 or 28 inch wide swath. Not enough horsepower.

IMO, the Toro would probably work for the most part. It should be in that $350 range and would probably be single stage. But in Des Moines you usually get less snow and have a shorter season. I know some people who have the Toro and they get buy pretty good for the most part. Plus that machine is smaller and easier to store in the garage if garage space is somewhat limited.

Looks like snowblowers have gone up a lot in price since I purchased mine.

Last edited:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
we got the Ariens Deluxe 24 2 stage last winter. Only a couple real snows so it didn't get worked too hard. The bottom of our driveway got pretty packed in by the plow and it handled that well.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Single stage Toro has handled Minnesota winters with ease.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
We still have a couple of teenagers around and shovels, but will probably need one in a few years. Since I tend to get the job instead of my husband, are these two stage things too big for me? CG, do you use yours or does your husband? (For reference, I am tall enough, 5'9", but old and doctor told me I needed to gain weight at 132, so now after Thanksgiving I checked in at 128.:()

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
After reading tons of reviews, I went with the Sno-Tek 24". Sno-Tek is Ariens budget brand - still great quality, just a bit cheaper. They are $650 compared to the Ariens of the same size at $900.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sno-Tek-24-in-2-Stage-Electric-Start-Gas-Snow-Blower-920402/202222489

Looks like a decent blower. For the size of engine you have the 24 inch swath should be decent. Ariens is a reputable brand. I would think the budget brand of Sno-Tek made by Ariens will be just fine. The reviews are certainly very good. And you will likely be more satisfied with that bigger blower over the smaller single stage blower when you get bigger snows.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
We still have a couple of teenagers around and shovels, but will probably need one in a few years. Since I tend to get the job instead of my husband, are these two stage things too big for me? CG, do you use yours or does your husband? (For reference, I am tall enough, 5'9", but old and doctor told me I needed to gain weight at 132, so now after Thanksgiving I checked in at 128.:()

From my experience, two stage would actually be easier.

Reactions: carvers4math

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
From my experience, two stage would actually be easier.

I agree with this. I have a two stage Craftsman with the electric start and they are really easy to get around when they are running. They are a bit of a bear if they are not. I just pull the extension cord over to the blower and bam, good to go. We have had a few snowstorms over the last couple years that made me glad I went with the two stage. My drive, garage and neighbors are in spots where I get some pretty heavy drifting at times.

That being said, my son will be old enough in a few years that I can just sell it off and I'll have, as my dad used to say, an "armstrong" snowblower

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
Sorry I can't help you. I still use my old Armstrong. It is an 18 inch all aluminum. No motor to fuss with. Never throw the snow on the neighbors. Useful exercise, so I do not walk my standard 2 miles on days I move snow. :D

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

Just personal opinion but I would not want to work around a cord every time I moved back and forth. I feel like that would be more of a pain than just using a shovel for the types of snows that would actually work well in. I have no experience with electric snowblowers though.

I read some reviews saying gas was a "pain" to start but it's really not. I just push the start button and it fires up. I've had it for 7 years or so now with no problems and should probably be doing way more maintenance to it than I've actually done, which is zero.

Last edited:

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Just personal opinion but I would not want to work around a cord every time I moved back and forth. I feel like that would be more of a pain than just using a shovel for the types of snows that would actually work well in. I have no experience with electric snowblowers though.

I've thought about that, but I don't think it'll be that big of an issue. I equate it to vacuuming. It's kind of a pain, but it's not that big of a hassle. They do make battery powered options, but I don't like that idea.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron