Snow Blower Recommendations for Iowa Winters

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
For those saying to go with a 2 stage for the DSM area where it'll only be needed for 2-3 snowfalls a year (if that) over a single stage, I gotta disagree.

Those 2-3 times you'd really 'need' a 2 stage: A) you likely won't HAVE to go anywhere anyway. or B) you could pay a couple kids (or a guy with a plow) $20 bucks to dig you out.

Difference in cost between a 2 stage & single stage is what, $400-500? I figure that's about 6 years worth of plows/shovels you could pay for when those 2-3 blizzards happen each year.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Enough of those and your weight and snow problems will be solved. You will gain weight (9 months anyway) and have a new worker to shovel the snow.

Lulz you missed the old part although I suppose it might still technically be possible.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I have an electric that I paid $128 for. Had it for 3 years, yet to have an Iowa snow I couldnt get through. Also live on a corner lot. Only problem is having enough cord but I have outlets on every side of the house.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Two-stage robot blower for only $10K.

4wd-snow-blower-rc-robot-8.jpg

Reactions: 2020cy

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Two-stage is the way to go. The single stage units won't touch the bigger snowfall or heavy (wet) snow. Electric start is good. I like Honda engines but that is overkill for the amount of use it will probably see.

Have not had a snowfall in about 10 years my single stage toro could not handle.

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
For those saying to go with a 2 stage for the DSM area where it'll only be needed for 2-3 snowfalls a year (if that) over a single stage, I gotta disagree.

Those 2-3 times you'd really 'need' a 2 stage: A) you likely won't HAVE to go anywhere anyway. or B) you could pay a couple kids (or a guy with a plow) $20 bucks to dig you out.

Difference in cost between a 2 stage & single stage is what, $400-500? I figure that's about 6 years worth of plows/shovels you could pay for when those 2-3 blizzards happen each year.

They don't have to be $400-$500 more.

Most people keep their snowblowers 20+ years.

I don't know about current single stage snowblowers but the ones in my neighborhood are noisy. I can do my driveway at 5am and no one will be woke up in the neighborhood.

As far as not having to go anywhere, that's true whether you get a single stage, 2 stage, or do it by hand.

I just figure if you're going to pay the money for a snowblower that is going to last 20+ years why not get the one that is easiest to use. If a single stage is the easiest to use than buy one of those but for me it doesn't get much easier than filling it with gas, push a start button, put it in top gear, and hitting the throttle. I live on a corner lot with a lot of sidewalk so that probably makes a difference.

Reactions: bos

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
They don't have to be $400-$500 more.

Most people keep their snowblowers 20+ years.

I don't know about current single stage snowblowers but the ones in my neighborhood are noisy. I can do my driveway at 5am and no one will be woke up in the neighborhood.

As far as not having to go anywhere, that's true whether you get a single stage, 2 stage, or do it by hand.

I just figure if you're going to pay the money for a snowblower that is going to last 20+ years why not get the one that is easiest to use. If a single stage is the easiest to use than buy one of those but for me it doesn't get much easier than filling it with gas, push a start button, put it in top gear, and hitting the throttle. I live on a corner lot with a lot of sidewalk so that probably makes a difference.

I literally fill my single stage with gas, push a start button, and start walking. I agree, doesn't get much easier than that. I would wager most people don't own the same snow blower for more than 10 years, but I'm sure with regular maintenance many could last 20. I've been woken up by 2 stage snow blowers in my neighborhood often, maybe those are people who have had them for 15 years already?

I don't disagree that overall a 2 stage snow blower is a better product. I just don't think the cost difference would be justified for MOST Iowans. Obviously it's up to the individual to determine if it's worth it to them.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I literally fill my single stage with gas, push a start button, and start walking. I agree, doesn't get much easier than that.

Sorry, I didn't realize that you could buy a single stage 4 stroke, auto start , and self propelled for $200-$300. I didn't realize single stages were so cheap with so many options. The ones I've seen with those options have been around $600.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I definitely like a 2 stage because a single stage isn't very good for wet snows. A 2 stage is also a lot better for the snow at the end of the driveway after the snowplow comes by. Sometimes that snow gets frozen and a 2 stage is the only way to get through it other than a ton of work with a shovel.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
The teenagers and I actually shovel parts of the street close to the curb and the driveway so that when the plow comes through, it has nothing to shove into the driveway. Obviously, the plow never gets to our street very early on after a storm.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
From my experience in the DSM area, I had a Toro single stage, with 20" clear and one of these:

The-Snow-Plow-36_-Snow-Shovel-50536.jpg

This was good enough 95% of the time. The only reason it sucked to use the 5% of the time was because we lived in an older neighborhood with garages behind the house, an adjoining driveway (100+ feet long) with neighbor so I didn't much yard area to throw the big snows. I also had a lot of help from Mr. Hamms.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I live on a corner lot with a lot of sidewalk so that probably makes a difference.

We are moving into a new house in a couple of weeks and will be in the same position. Bigger driveway too. I am leaning towards a 2 stage. Menards has a Poulan Ive been eyeing.

http://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...10124624-c-12370.htm?tid=-4621448297543742170

Last year dropped some heavy deep snow to finish off the season and my current thrower couldnt handle it at all. Took me twice as long.

Reactions: dmclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron