Should we be worried?

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Well help me out. What's the main difference between this year's team and last? How has losing Lutz affected us, specifically? And which, if any, games would we have won that we lost had Lutz still been on the staff? I'm the idiot here. Drop some knowledge on me.

My buddy and I got the chance to go to a practice as Cyclone Alley's fan of the games. Fred kind of just stood around with his whistle in his mouth, while Lutz would do most of the screaming and coaching. I love Fred Hoiberg and think he is great for this university and program, but is unexperienced at coaching. He needed someone like Lutz to kind of follow and learn from.

The team lacks leadership and coaching. I apologize for calling you and idiot. That was un called for.

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
And I don't disagree with that. I don't think he's a good coach right now. I've said that many times. I would rather have Lutz than not have him, obviously. It seems completely absurd to me, however, that we're now attributing this team's shortcomings to not having Bobby Lutz on the staff.

It may not be the main reason, but it's a factor. He ran their *** off in practice when they did something wrong. He gave the team some discipline and I haven't seen that this year. That team played almost all of 40 minutes and this team plays for 30 minutes and drops off the face of the Earth.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I think what's missing is Diante Garrett and Jake Anderson. Guys who were leaders and brought effort on a consistent basis.

I would agree with this too. It's obvious this team feeds off of White this year, but he doesn't give the consistent effort that Jake and Diante did. I think White needs a coach who will scream at him from time to time, I don't know if Fred is the kind of guy that will do that.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Other than maybe Michigan, this team is much more talented than all the teams they have played. Drake and UNI do not have much talent. UNI is exceptionally well coached. Drake won that particular game because they were the better coached team.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I agree that Lutz (and last year's coaching staff) is missed this year. I think FH is still learning, and only time will tell if he picks it up or not. I know he is an intelligent man, and hopefully he will learn.

Right now I see FH as something like Johnny Majors was here at Iowa State. Johnny was a great recruiter (as I think FH, and/or at least his staff are) but he did not seem to be that much of a coach. However, he was smart enough to put some very good people around him here at ISU, including Jimmy Johnson (yes THAT Jimmy Johnson), Larry Lacewell, Joe Avezanno, and Jackie Sherril. If you don't know who those guys were, google them. With them, Johnny was able to recruit and be the PR man for the program, and eventually he won here.

Majors won here, and at Pitt and Tennessee because of his recruiting ability and the staffs he had around him. Maybe FH will be able to do the same here.

If you get talented enough players, and can at least motivate them to play, you really don't have to coach much.

Reactions: IsUaClone2

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
No offense, but wasn't one of the reasons this team was being pimped up to be, at the very least an NCAA bubble team, because they were playing together all of last year as the scout team? It's not like these guys haven't been on campus for a few months, they've all been here since before last basketball season, and got plenty of practice time in together then.

The fact that they're still not playing like a team is pretty concerning.

That's my concern. Most of them have been together as a team for a year and a half. Sure, they weren't playing actual games and such, but basketball isn't rocket science. It isn't that difficult to come together as a team.

It doesn't look very good right now. The inconsistent effort looks like a major conference play problem.

imnclone

Oct 22, 2006
Yeah because you have to be on the team to see Lutz calling plays while Hoiberg sits there, or see that Lutz was in the huddle during timeouts while Hoiberg stood there and watched/learned. You have to be on the team to see that. Idiot.

So it was Lutz who drew up all those 1on1 plays for DG at the end of games that everyone hated so much last year.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
I'll only be worried if Fred doesn't make any changes to his staff after this season.
Agreed. I've definitely been disappointed in a majority of the performances this season, and I would be lying if I said that I haven't allowed some doubt to creep into my mind as far as Hoiberg's coaching ability goes. But I will be very worried if Fred doesn't take a good look at his staff and decide to make a key change or two before next season.

Look up and down the bench and we just don't have enough coaching experience. Period. I heard a halftime radio interview with Matt Abdelmassih early in the season and all I could do was shake my head. This guy is obviously a great recruiter, but listening to him break down the 1st half was like listing to an interview with Joe Fan sitting up in section 240. There was zero substance, and I hope he and his fellow assistants have more to offer the players in the locker room.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
This is just wacky. You're telling me you watched the games and charted or somehow determined that Lutz was "doing most of the coaching during timeouts"? Even if we grant you this crazy assertion, that accounts for about 1% of what a coach does.

I'm not saying Fred is a good coach. I'm just saying that we have people making these absurd claims about who was in charge without any real basis behind those claims.
It was not difficult to see who was doing all the talking in the huddle last year. Did you even watch the huddles last year?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
We don't have a leader on the court. I remember seeing Diante chew *** on the court. No one on this team does that. There seems to be very little accountability. Maybe some guys are scared to do it, I don't know but I remember seeing DG lay into Craig multiple times when they were playing. It doesn't seem like anyone is stepping up and doing that. Allen should be that guy. He's won a lot and has the most credibility. I don't care if it's a coach or a player but someone has to light a fire under these guys' ***** for us to have any success.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I would agree with this too. It's obvious this team feeds off of White this year, but he doesn't give the consistent effort that Jake and Diante did. I think White needs a coach who will scream at him from time to time, I don't know if Fred is the kind of guy that will do that.
Hate to say this, but McD use to pick on our best player to pick it up. Jiri was one of his favorites to be chewed upon.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
That's my concern. Most of them have been together as a team for a year and a half. Sure, they weren't playing actual games and such, but basketball isn't rocket science. It isn't that difficult to come together as a team.

It doesn't look very good right now. The inconsistent effort looks like a major conference play problem.

I agree. This has nothing to do with that. How many times has Calipari thrown 3 true freshmen out there and had not just good, but great teams.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
We don't have a leader on the court. I remember seeing Diante chew *** on the court. No one on this team does that. There seems to be very little accountability. Maybe some guys are scared to do it, I don't know but I remember seeing DG lay into Craig multiple times when they were playing. It doesn't seem like anyone is stepping up and doing that. Allen should be that guy. He's won a lot and has the most credibility. I don't care if it's a coach or a player but someone has to light a fire under these guys' ***** for us to have any success.

I don't know if we have a leader on the coaching staff either. I don't think anyone would argue that Fred looks to be a player's coach this far into his tenure. And that's fine, but if you fill your staff with other coaches like that, then you may have a problem. Who's the coach who really lights into the guys? Who's the coach that isn't worried about offending these guys once in a while?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
So it was Lutz who drew up all those 1on1 plays for DG at the end of games that everyone hated so much last year.
DG was about our only option. Jake and Scotty would have been stuffed.

Did you notice we cannot run an in bounds play worth beans this year when we were very successful last year? Lutz.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Great game today. I am surprised we are winning some of these games without making 10 plus threes, which is how we are built to win

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
I don't know if we have a leader on the coaching staff either. I don't think anyone would argue that Fred looks to be a player's coach this far into his tenure. And that's fine, but if you fill your staff with other coaches like that, then you may have a problem. Who's the coach who really lights into the guys? Who's the coach that isn't worried about offending these guys once in a while?
I think that's an excellent point to make. Not only should Hoiberg take a look at making a change or two before next season, but it might not be a bad idea to go after a guy who can play "bad cop" every now and then when needed.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

I think that "offending" part is key. There's a fine line there but someone is going to have to do it. If someone doesn't like it, they can GTFO. I'm not one to just make the blanket statement of "Just yell, it will work" but there needs to be some excitement created. Paul Rhoads doesn't endlessly chew guys' ***** on the sideline but he manages to inspire his guys to play. Football and basketball players are slightly different personalities but the same principle exists.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron