Should we be worried?

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I'll only be worried if Fred doesn't make any changes to his staff after this season. Fred is not a good game coach, he's not going to become one over night. This doesn't mean he can't be successful as a head coach, he just needs to bring in someone to address this issue. This isn't going to be a quick fix, Fred is here for the long run.

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
Bobby Lutz was the coach last year. He was the guy calling plays, and 99% of the time he was in the huddle drawing up plays. Last years team played like they were very well coached. They didn't have depth and had a lack of talent, yet were very competitive. This years team plays the exact opposite.

I assume you were on the staff or somehow involved with the team to have such great insider information.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
No offense, but wasn't one of the reasons this team was being pimped up to be, at the very least an NCAA bubble team, because they were playing together all of last year as the scout team? It's not like these guys haven't been on campus for a few months, they've all been here since before last basketball season, and got plenty of practice time in together then.

The fact that they're still not playing like a team is pretty concerning.

I agree. These guys have been in Ames together practicing for over a year. They also had a pre-season trip to Italy which should have worked out some of the bugs because it allowed the coaches several additional practices.

Also, these transfers are all 20+ if I'm not mistaken, so it's not like it's a bunch of 18 y/o players learning to play with effort, etc.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Please. Let's not go crazy with Bobby Lutz love here.
Last year, Lutz do most of the coaching during timeouts. He did the talking. Review last year's game tapes. It was puzzling to me. He was showing Fred how to do it. This year, we just have the NBA timeout approach. In college bball, you have to get more excited so the kids respond. The kids are not pros yet.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I assume you were on the staff or somehow involved with the team to have such great insider information.

It was pretty obvious to anyone watching the game. Lutz was always the one with the whiteboard during the timeouts.

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
Bobby Lutz was the coach last year. He was the guy calling plays, and 99% of the time he was in the huddle drawing up plays. Last years team played like they were very well coached. They didn't have depth and had a lack of talent, yet were very competitive. This years team plays the exact opposite.

Agreed Bobby Lutz was a great asset for last year. Loved him being on the sideline last year.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Unfortunately he is right. Some spent a lot of time watching the huddles. Lutz ran the huddles.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I am holding judgement until I see us play a "meaningful" game at home. If we continue to be lazy against Kansas or similar team at Hilton, then we're doomed.

Keep in mind people, we were predicted to finish second to last in the Big XII for a reason.

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
Last year, Lutz do most of the coaching during timeouts. He did the talking. Review last year's game tapes. It was puzzling to me. He was showing Fred how to do it. This year, we just have the NBA timeout approach. In college bball, you have to get more excited so the kids respond. The kids are not pros yet.

This is just wacky. You're telling me you watched the games and charted or somehow determined that Lutz was "doing most of the coaching during timeouts"? Even if we grant you this crazy assertion, that accounts for about 1% of what a coach does.

I'm not saying Fred is a good coach. I'm just saying that we have people making these absurd claims about who was in charge without any real basis behind those claims.

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
Anyone who says they didn't have high expectations this year are lying. After hearing often times last year that White and the rest of the transfers were wiping the floor with our first teamers during practice, I expected no less than an NCAA appearance this year. Not saying it can't or won't happen, but I'm just not seeing what it takes right now. The team looks uninspired and selfish. Starts with coaching.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008

Yeah because you have to be on the team to see Lutz calling plays while Hoiberg sits there, or see that Lutz was in the huddle during timeouts while Hoiberg stood there and watched/learned. You have to be on the team to see that. Idiot.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
This. You lose to crap teams like Drake and its hard to have much faith in a postseason birth.

You go into the Drake game with a gameplan to switch every single screen and it's hard to much faith in a postseason berth.

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
Yeah because you have to be on the team to see Lutz calling plays while Hoiberg sits there, or see that Lutz was in the huddle during timeouts while Hoiberg stood there and watched/learned. You have to be on the team to see that. Idiot.

I forgot that coaching is all about who has the "white board" and who is "drawing up plays." You're right, I AM an idiot. Appreciate the help in setting me straight. Thank you!

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
Ignorant.

Well help me out. What's the main difference between this year's team and last? How has losing Lutz affected us, specifically? And which, if any, games would we have won that we lost had Lutz still been on the staff? I'm the idiot here. Drop some knowledge on me.

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
This is just wacky. You're telling me you watched the games and charted or somehow determined that Lutz was "doing most of the coaching during timeouts"? Even if we grant you this crazy assertion, that accounts for about 1% of what a coach does.

I'm not saying Fred is a good coach. I'm just saying that we have people making these absurd claims about who was in charge without any real basis behind those claims.

My buddy and I got the chance to go to a practice as Cyclone Alley's fan of the games. Fred kind of just stood around with his whistle in his mouth, while Lutz would do most of the screaming and coaching. I love Fred Hoiberg and think he is great for this university and program, but is unexperienced at coaching. He needed someone like Lutz to kind of follow and learn from.

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
My buddy and I got the chance to go to a practice as Cyclone Alley's fan of the games. Fred kind of just stood around with his whistle in his mouth, while Lutz would do most of the screaming and coaching. I love Fred Hoiberg and think he is great for this university and program, but is unexperienced at coaching. He needed someone like Lutz to kind of follow and learn from.

And I don't disagree with that. I don't think he's a good coach right now. I've said that many times. I would rather have Lutz than not have him, obviously. It seems completely absurd to me, however, that we're now attributing this team's shortcomings to not having Bobby Lutz on the staff.

sdillon500

Sep 12, 2006
northern california
I forgot that coaching is all about who has the "white board" and who is "drawing up plays." You're right, I AM an idiot. Appreciate the help in setting me straight. Thank you!

I don't think anyone is saying that coaching is all about drawing up plays during timeouts. But that is a big facet of gameday coaching, and it's an area that Bobby Lutz had a lot of input with last year. Lutz had a lot of experience, coached a lot of games, and had a good feel of how to manage a game. I think that's what is missing this year.

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
I don't think anyone is saying that coaching is all about drawing up plays during timeouts. But that is a big facet of gameday coaching, and it's an area that Bobby Lutz had a lot of input with last year. Lutz had a lot of experience, coached a lot of games, and had a good feel of how to manage a game. I think that's what is missing this year.

I think what's missing is Diante Garrett and Jake Anderson. Guys who were leaders and brought effort on a consistent basis.

Reactions: CycloneErik

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron