SEZ information

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The bleachers have had "weak" color as long as I can remember. Does anyone remember them when they had better color?

And the parts that are seats without backs look even weaker from across the way when you see them next to the sections with backs. You are only seeing a little of the color and a lot of gray concrete. That makes it look even worse than it already is.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
And the parts that are seats without backs look even weaker from across the way when you see them next to the sections with backs. You are only seeing a little of the color and a lot of gray concrete. That makes it look even worse than it already is.

Those are the ones I was thinking about. They have seemed pale, especially from a distance, for as long as I remember.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Obviously that is not the issue. The issue is showing a prospect the stadium in April and trying to impress them.

They're due for some new paint. No big deal.

I don't think its the paint that's the big issue. I think its the dirty concrete. Either way I agree that it'd be beneficial if they could make look better.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Any idea why they would need individual approval for the sound and video board?

I would think that's just a line item on the overall project.

Or is there some installation on a different schedule than the SEZ?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Maybe helps Daktronics get started a bit earlier on design and fabrication work? Or maybe because it wasnt considered in the scope of the original proposal so they got additional approval for this?

Im most interested to see if we get the ribbon board element too, i think if we could get a ribbon board running in JTS it would do a lot by itself to improve some things.

Edit: this might be the reason why:

Approval of the sole source authorization would permit the University to engage Daktronics in discussions during the design phases of the project to coordinate the support structure, power
requirements, and other items. The scoreboard will not be purchased prior to the Board acting
upon the University’s request for approval of the schematic design and budget for the project.

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines

My guess is that it's the same installation schedule but since it will be done through Daktronics and not the construction company, it needs separate approval.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Thanks fellas. That makes sense.

Was kinda hoping that it would somehow fast-track some of the equipment in time for 2014, although I knew it was unlikely.

Im most interested to see if we get the ribbon board element too, i think if we could get a ribbon board running in JTS it would do a lot by itself to improve some things.

Agreed. This is a bit overdue IMO. The boards on the upper deck are "adequate" at best. I was a fairly skeptical of the ribbon at Hilton when it was first announced. Now I can't imagine the games without it.

Last edited:

TranCytive

Apr 15, 2014
Cant wait for the drawings of this, hopefully it looks super awesome, but you can't make everyone happy.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
When the plans are finally made public, I predict that at least 40% of CFers will be upset, no matter what.

Unless they include hottubs in the plans.

The people have spoken! Give them what they want!

Can we add hotel rooms to the plan? Reading reviews about the accommodations at the Union hotel and there's room for a higher end experience. Stumble out of your room and right into the game. I'd shack up at JTS

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014

Can we add hotel rooms to the plan? Reading reviews about the accommodations at the Union hotel and there's room for a higher end experience. Stumble out of your room and right into the game. I'd shack up at JTS

Walkout balconies with Stadium view?

Certainly would be unique.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Walkout balconies with Stadium view?

Certainly would be unique.

Now we're cooking! The Union is a dump from what I read. Get a new room overlooking beautiful JTS with access to the Jim Walden Hot Tub Club area. Maybe the Danny Mac Sun Deck if you want to sweat like a champion!

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
Now we're cooking! The Union is a dump from what I read. Get a new room overlooking beautiful JTS with access to the Jim Walden Hot Tub Club area. Maybe the Danny Mac Sun Deck if you want to sweat like a champion!

Don't forget the Criner Dunk Tank on the concourse!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

In seriousness, always kind of wondered why there hasnt been a hotel project attached to the hilton-scheman complex. They say they need more convention space, get proposals for a convention hotel to come in there. If the demand is there as they say the convention space should get filled, and with as many events as there are in hilton\scheman\stephens (and when this would be the closest hotel to campus aside from the MU, so visiting families and prospective students would probably use it) the hotel should have no problems booking rooms.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
In seriousness, always kind of wondered why there hasnt been a hotel project attached to the hilton-scheman complex. They say they need more convention space, get proposals for a convention hotel to come in there. If the demand is there as they say the convention space should get filled, and with as many events as there are in hilton\scheman\stephens (and when this would be the closest hotel to campus aside from the MU, so visiting families and prospective students would probably use it) the hotel should have no problems booking rooms.

I think what you just talked about was part of the plans with the convention center that was just voted down.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014

65-medium.jpg

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron