SEZ information

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Whew...had me worried there.

Of course, if a hotel is added to the Iowa State Center, it has to be a Hilton. It would be too confusing to have the Radisson-Hilton!

I will admit that it took me a little while after moving to Ames to figure out that Hilton was a person associated with the university, not a sponsor. The lack of Hilton logos seemed odd until I figured it out.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
There are plenty of events in Ames during the summer, all of which require hotel rooms. Every year there's Special Olympics, Iowa Games (3 weekends), and a bunch of youth sports tournaments.

This year there's also Odyssey of the Mind, and a weeklong national sports competition for kids with disabilities.

If a hotel could make money by being in that area there would be one there by now. Their main income would come from big events and there probably isn't enough of those to keep the doors open.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If a hotel could make money by being in that area there would be one there by now. Their main income would come from big events and there probably isn't enough of those to keep the doors open.

Unless ISU hasnt been willing to give up that land for that purpose.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Iowa State Center would be a terrible location for a hotel. Add in that there isn't much happening for about 4 months (last few weeks of May/June/July/first couple of August + winter break) a year to make money.

All you would have needed to say was the word "flood."

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
About time, I mean this project is supposed to break ground in 6 months. I'm am excited to see what they come up with the somewhat limited budget.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
2015 just left town for his internship, so now they aren't worried about him anymore! Haha.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Unless ISU hasnt been willing to give up that land for that purpose.

This. It has more to do with zoning and ISU parting with the land than anything else.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
4 total posts? You are either an insider or a troll. Either way, congrats, I'm officially pumped.

I could see it happening since the tailgate tour starts Tuesday. Might as well have some cool info to pass along to the excited crowds.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
If true I wonder what info it is, renderings?
I can't believe it would be anything short of the renderings. As someone said, they plan on starting the project in 6 months. A lot of people, myself included, want to see the renderings before they give any money to the project. The people need to see it!

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I can't believe it would be anything short of the renderings. As someone said, they plan on starting the project in 6 months. A lot of people, myself included, want to see the renderings before they give any money to the project. The people need to see it!

I agree. Figured that they'd wait until after MBB and spring FB...I was betting on sometime around Memorial Day. They definitely want to use it to generate excitement and sell tickets over the summer.