SEZ information

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think what you just talked about was part of the plans with the convention center that was just voted down.

I dont think it was, i thought that was just an expansion of Scheman.

Also why would the citizens have to fund it through property taxes? It seems like is should be a slam dunk business. If nothing else it should probably qualify for some state credits like the new Iowa Events Center hotel will

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
65-medium.jpg

Are you suggesting the proposed JTS hotel have a nautical theme?

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I dont think it was, i thought that was just an expansion of Scheman.

Also why would the citizens have to fund it through property taxes? It seems like is should be a slam dunk business. If nothing else it should probably qualify for some state credits like the new Iowa Events Center hotel will

The proposal was a convention center attached to Scheman that was to be funded from city property tax revenues, local hotel/motel taxes, and ISU funding. The citizens that voted opposed it by about a 30% margin. I didn't care either way so I didn't bother voting.

Unless a developer wanted to come in and invest to build a hotel/convention center and the city was willing to give said developer financial incentives, that was the only other option. Can't just snap your fingers and make something happen.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Iowa State Center would be a terrible location for a hotel. Add in that there isn't much happening for about 4 months (last few weeks of May/June/July/first couple of August + winter break) a year to make money.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The people have spoken! Give them what they want!

Can we add hotel rooms to the plan? Reading reviews about the accommodations at the Union hotel and there's room for a higher end experience. Stumble out of your room and right into the game. I'd shack up at JTS

Well, I guess then it wouldn't be just hawkeyes having sex in the stadium during the game.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Iowa State Center would be a terrible location for a hotel. Add in that there isn't much happening for about 4 months (last few weeks of May/June/July/first couple of August + winter break) a year to make money.

Which makes it a better location than a good portion of successful hotels.
Having innate down, if not bad, months is common in that industry.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Would love to have the stadium on/in a lake. The view would be great and it would give the recruits something to do. Water ski, fishing, ice fishing! Very unique!
You could have sea battles like the Romans used to do when they would fill the Circus Maximus with water.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

There are plenty of events in Ames during the summer, all of which require hotel rooms. Every year there's Special Olympics, Iowa Games (3 weekends), and a bunch of youth sports tournaments.

This year there's also Odyssey of the Mind, and a weeklong national sports competition for kids with disabilities.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Another scoreboard and or a ribbon board? I didn't think we had money to throw around... Gimme seats plz

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

How much time have you spent in Ames during the Summer? The campus definitely thins out, but there are lots of events that happen during the Summer than couldn't happen during the rest of the year. FFA, Republican Straw Poll, etc.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Which makes it a better location than a good portion of successful hotels.
Having innate down, if not bad, months is common in that industry.

Yup. You cant tell me that a hotel in a better location than every hotel in town wouldnt have success. A hotel here would be the premiere venue for:

- Families and prospective students visiting campus (cant really count the MU, its only got 50 rooms), whether on their first visit, visiting during the year, or coming for graduation.
- Convention attendees.
- ISU athletics (football and basketball main drivers, obviously. )
- Visitors with campus business (anyone with business on campus, really)
- Shows at Hilton and CY Stephens

And many more reasons im sure im not listing for wanting to be in this general area.

So the question would be, why hasnt this been done? Has iowa state explored this? Has Iowa State's close association with the Gateway (currently the closest hotel) prevented them wanting to allow competition? Has a major hotel explored this and found it not to be profitable?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Yup. You cant tell me that a hotel in a better location than every hotel in town wouldnt have success. A hotel here would be the premiere venue for:

- Families and prospective students visiting campus (cant really count the MU, its only got 50 rooms), whether on their first visit, visiting during the year, or coming for graduation.
- Convention attendees.
- ISU athletics (football and basketball main drivers, obviously. )
- Visitors with campus business (anyone with business on campus, really)
- Shows at Hilton and CY Stephens

And many more reasons im sure im not listing for wanting to be in this general area.

So the question would be, why hasnt this been done? Has iowa state explored this? Has Iowa State's close association with the Gateway (currently the closest hotel) prevented them wanting to allow competition? Has a major hotel explored this and found it not to be profitable?

And why is the Hilton Garden Inn way out west on Mortenson? There should have been a zoning ordinance preventing anything being called Hilton that isn't adjacent to The Hilton.