Screenname Motivation

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
It'll launch on a 54mm motor (likely to have thrust between ~150 and ~600 lbs).

A guidance system would require several modifications/components:

• more-powerful motor capability to get the required distance
  • modifications to the fins to allow for active-control
  • the guidance components themselves (obviously)
  • back-room deals to acquire parts and avoid getting my *** thrown in jail

I wonder if the use of the words "rocket" and "guidance system" will cause this thread to get flagged on a government security computer somewhere. I honestly think that it might.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
I wonder if the use of the words "rocket" and "guidance system" will cause this thread to get flagged on a government security computer somewhere. I honestly think that it might.

Perhaps, but nowhere is there any discussion regarding the actual joining of those two entities or a coordination of efforts to do so. I would expect that there are more menacing combinations of "rocket" and "guidance system" on the interwebz than a tongue-in-cheek reference on a sports fan-site.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
The (somewhat) recent thread about how individuals are connected to the AD made me think that it could be interested to find out how some of us chose our screennames. Any takers?

I took mine from a rocket (named "Hawk Hunter") I started building in 2006 (see attached images). To help with the sense of scale, the rocket is 8' 4" long with diameters of 5.5" and 4". I hope to finally get it launched this summer (school got in the way of completing it) in Walcott, and hopefully there will be a wind out of the west so it can be launched toward IC.

Since Walcott is east of IC wouldn't you need an east wind to hit it?

Maybe Tiffin? Might I suggest Coralville? - the margin of error is lessened.

PS: Per the origin post point. Here's another clue for you all, I am not named Dean

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
Nickname given to me in high school (based off of my lastname) and my lucky #, I wish I could change it now, I've had many new and better ideas for a name the longer im a member here. Oh well.

Icky_Mettle

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Ames
Needed a screen name, Archers of Loaf cd Icky Mettle was sitting on my desk. That's it. Exciting.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
Since Walcott is east of IC wouldn't you need an east wind to hit it?

Maybe Tiffin? Might I suggest Coralville? - the margin of error is lessened.

PS: Per the origin post point. Here's another clue for you all, I am not named Dean

When launching rockets recreationally you launch into the wind so that it floats back to you as it descends under the parachute. Hence, with a wind out of the west I could "aim" towards IC for better theatrical effect at the launch.

Given that my max altitude for this rocket is on the order of a few thousand feet, it would take a hurricane out of the east to get any sort of over-the-ground distance.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
When launching rockets recreationally you launch into the wind so that it floats back to you as it descends under the parachute. Hence, with a wind out of the west I could "aim" towards IC for better theatrical effect at the launch.

Given that my max altitude for this rocket is on the order of a few thousand feet, it would take a hurricane out of the east to get any sort of over-the-ground distance.

Hah! Shows my knowledge of rocketry. I just figured you would launch with a tailwind to give it the directional vector you wanted. That's why I took Civil Engineering instead of AeroE.

Wx4Cy

May 22, 2007
West Des Moines
Ours started out as a "household" name. Wx is a symbol for weather. Eventually Mrs wanted her own so she became MrsWx which left me as Wx, even though I can barely spell weather.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
SeattleCyclone was already taken, and I've never seen them post. I didn't bother to change it when I moved...

Clone96

Nov 14, 2006
Parts Unknown
96 is for the year I graduated 1996

Avtar is Don Cherry, former coach of the Boston Bruins in the '70's, now famous as a commentator on CBC's Hockey Night In Canada, the longest running sports television series. Famous for his "Coaches Corner" segement, where he delivers his sometimes controversial commentaries about hockey. Famous for his loud suits & telling "all you kids out there, pay attention. That's how you do it!!"

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron