RV lots torn asunder

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
In the past, at least with some increases, they had basically said 'youre grandfathered in this year, but if you want to maintain it next year you're going to have to up to at least this amount'. With how people get established in the same tailgating spots every year, there should be some sort of option for people to have 'right of first option' to play ball at the new level or get out.

At least that gives some people the option. Losing spots is what it is. I tailgated in S4 for several years, and when they took out the lot in the south endzone for the reiman project it pretty much killed our tailgating group, so i can at least empathize with those who are losing. But its the cost of progress.

I am guessing they would say, well we gave you a heads up with that email they sent late last year regarding the change in donations/parking.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Surely there is some hyperbole in here, right? Tickets haven't become that expensive. The cost of parking close and sitting in prime seating my have price some people out of those activities, but generally speaking attending a game is not all that expensive.

The whole day can end up costing a pretty penny for a family to go. Back in the day, it was super low cost, Of course we sucked. I am not complaining about raised ticket prices and so on. I get it. We need the money to compete. However, if I can save money to do something big my kids seem to enjoy that more than spending a crap load to go to one game.
Getting 5 people to a game can be expensive. But I think it’s mostly people that don’t value a game experience.

I’d rather sit in the top row of jack trice then watch a game on tv.

Like I said I have been going to game since Clyde Williams. I love the game day experience. Absolutely love it. However, Like the original poster. We had our crew of people that got split up because of donations and so on. So it's not what it used to be for me. I encourage everyone to go and have fun. I just have been to so many games since I was little that the fun is not outweighing the cost.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I am guessing they would say, well we gave you a heads up with that email they sent late last year regarding the change in donations/parking.

Which i think is a poor way to go about it.

A few years back they raised some of the hilton donations. They told everyone in the affected sections 'if you donate this next year, your seating will not be changed'. Tailgating spots shouldnt be different.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
VetMed can offer a great RV tailgate experience. Unfortunately/Fortunately, the prime RV spots are going up in value.

• Agree
Reactions: ianoconnor

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Which i think is a poor way to go about it.

A few years back they raised some of the hilton donations. They told everyone in the affected sections 'if you donate this next year, your seating will not be changed'. Tailgating spots shouldnt be different.

I totally agree, but think they would use that as their crutch honestly.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
VetMed can offer a great RV tailgate experience. Unfortunately/Fortunately, the prime RV spots are going up in value.

We have camped in Vet Med for many years and it has been great.....well until the dang weather doesn't cooperate.

Why not open the lots up around Hilton for RV's.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Haunted Forest may pick up some business for this season.

Until it rains out... Then it is a mud bog. down there. We even got our van stuck last year. Gave some folks jello shots for pushing us out. ;) The ground is like concrete from all the years of traffic. Once it rains, it turns it into a slippery greasy mess.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Will there also be fewer RV spots going forward? I wonder if there might also be a push to have fewer RVs so there can be more places for people to park since maybe there will be more donors/season ticket holders as the successful seasons continue.

At least our tailgating is easier/better than Iowa City tailgating.

I also agree that it may have been a better long-term business decision to give people more of a heads up as mentioned in an earlier post about Hilton.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We have camped in Vet Med for many years and it has been great.....well until the dang weather doesn't cooperate.

Why not open the lots up around Hilton for RV's.

Never fails that there is volleyball game, something at CY, if it rains they pull over people from Lot G7. It think it was closed for parking more than it was open B1-B2 lots. Since they repaved around Hilton those are now donor spots also, I think. I know they weren't open at the start of the season since they weren't finished yet.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
Funny this pops up....

Last year I was able to get into the RV lot being in the $1000 donation level. This year I figured I might get bumped so I ended up calling the Cyclone Club to see if I would make the cut. At that time, 3 days before the deadline, I still had 16 individuals behind me, so I figured I was good. Well last week, mid week, I called and asked if I got in, cause I never got an email the year before saying either way. Well come to find out the individual that pulls that information was busy doing other things, so he hadn't pulled the information. They end up telling me that if I want to guarantee myself a spot that I needed to bump my donation to the $2500 mark and gave me until the end of last week to do so. Well I am not like most of the CF'ers, and I don't have an endless amount of cash so I didn't up my donation.

2 things really PO'd me about this:

A) if they have a deadline they need to stick to it. I know that by delaying the deadline they may be getting more people to donate more, however that just screws those of us that are proactive and get it done by the deadline. To me that would be like the Powerball being like, "well heck we are getting a ton of people buying lottery tickets lets just extend the drawing a day or 2 to get more money"

B) Why do they only send an email to those that didn't get in. I think they need to send it to both those that did and didn't get in.

Sorry a little frustrated!!!

BTW - Since I didn't get in the others that got in last year with me decided they were going to just come by use. so we will be selling 2 RV passes. If you are interested reach out to me through PM.

I agree, the deadline should have been the deadline. It hasn't changed for years. Hold firm to it and people will get the correct message.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
Never fails that there is volleyball game, something at CY, if it rains they pull over people from Lot G7. It think it was closed for parking more than it was open B1-B2 lots. Since they repaved around Hilton those are now donor spots also, I think. I know they weren't open at the start of the season since they weren't finished yet.

Curious how that will work this year. The Hilton lots are designated as $500 level donor lots for football. Going to be tough parking all those extra cars some weekends.

veteran4cy

Nov 13, 2012
Ankeny
When that email came out a couple months ago I went in and talked to the cyclone club about it. Checked my points level. He told me the only way to guarantee was to move up to 2500. So that's what I did considering passes on the secondary market were usually 150 or so.

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
Money isn't the only issue in this, well maybe it is, but all the parking west of the Jacobson and Olsen building will be eliminated by construction. Those big time donors are moving to 85E on the east side of Jacobson, displacing many of those donors and vehicles. They, in turn are bumping others, including those parking in other lots (like dominoes).

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
I’ve never paid attention to the procedure for RV parking. Is it part of the football ticket renewal?

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I’ve never paid attention to the procedure for RV parking. Is it part of the football ticket renewal?

Yes, only instead of a traditional parking pass an RV pass is requested. The RV pass costs 100 instead of 50. Plus whatever donation is wanted/needed.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
It's unfortunate that you and your group have lost your spot. Those memories are something that you'll never forget. Something to consider though is the experience that the new donors will get that took your spot. Sucks for you, not for them. Parking will be an issue this year and in the near future. I don't think paving the playing fields that get used throughout the year, for 6 or 7 Saturdays is the right move. I'm surprised they haven't (unless they did this year) changed the lots around Hilton to donor lots. Lets just hope the rains don't screw with us this year.

It would be nice if they had a website with the status of the parking lots so you could see if they were full and/or closed before you sit in line for 30 minutes trying to get into it.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: beentherebefore

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron