RV lots torn asunder

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Some of you may be victims of this, but lots of people who have been long time RVer's have received emails that they will no longer get an RV pass. Apparently the demand by higher level donors has increased and the email says 75% of the RV passes are going to those donating at the Captain's level (2500) or above.

In our case we had nearly our entire community that has been tailgating together for years and years (as in since around the turn of the century) has been torn apart. Out of 7 families only two of us got passes. There was no prior communication that a higher level donation might be required this year, just notification that they were out. Lots of angry folks out there. And of course that includes talk of cancelling future donations, etc.

What say ye?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Usually they do a pretty good job of giving people a chance to up their donations, so I'm guessing that the volume or some other issue made it hard to do that this time.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Some of you may be victims of this, but lots of people who have been long time RVer's have received emails that they will no longer get an RV pass. Apparently the demand by higher level donors has increased and the email says 75% of the RV passes are going to those donating at the Captain's level (2500) or above.

In our case we had nearly our entire community that has been tailgating together for years and years (as in since around the turn of the century) has been torn apart. Out of 7 families only two of us got passes. There was no prior communication that a higher level donation might be required this year, just notification that they were out. Lots of angry folks out there. And of course that includes talk of cancelling future donations, etc.

What say ye?

It sucks for some for sure and I don't understand why they didn't give notice, but this is a good problem.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
And this is the reason I basically quit going to games minus a few here and there. I have been going since Clyde Williams last season. Had season tickets every year. However, it's about money now and they basically priced me out of the market. I have kids and love games so I still take them to one and possibly two when my father gives me some suite tickets. I get it. Not complaining about it. Money rules and I can't keep up with up. It's just sad that it is going that way but to compete is something I guess they have to do to keep making the stadium and locker room improvements. My TV in my garage does the trick and I can have my friends over to tailgate.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
I suppose if you have to drive a long way to come to the games, then RVs can make sense. Drive a car, pickup, SUV. That's cheaper.

Also, maybe this will force the hand of the AD to pave some more area for additional RV parking.

• Agree
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
And this is the reason I basically quit going to games minus a few here and there. I have been going since Clyde Williams last season. Had season tickets every year. However, it's about money now and they basically priced me out of the market. I have kids and love games so I still take them to one and possibly two when my father gives me some suite tickets. I get it. Not complaining about it. Money rules and I can't keep up with up. It's just sad that it is going that way but to compete is something I guess they have to do to keep making the stadium and locker room improvements. My TV in my garage does the trick and I can have my friends over to tailgate.
I too miss the "old days" of nearly free parking and cheap tickets, but those days, at least with this coaching regime, are gone. Like you said, the cost of supporting a successful program is always going to price some folks out of the market. I do think that they could have been more tactful with the RV donation increases, but I know my parking request had the disclaimer that I could be moved to a previously lower donation lot. Honestly, most of the RV folks that donated at the $1,000 level probably would have declined if the new minimum donation level is $2,500. A $1,500 bump up is a big deal.

As for attending games, come to one of the late season ones...yeah, the weather can suck, but you can get tickets for $10-$15 each and parking is pretty easy. Or, choose an early game and pay the going rate...still gets you in with good seats and you don't have to donate if that is your decision.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Surely there is some hyperbole in here, right? Tickets haven't become that expensive. The cost of parking close and sitting in prime seating my have priced some people out of those activities, but generally speaking attending a game is not all that expensive.

Last edited:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Surely there is some hyperbole in here, right? Tickets haven’t in the become that expensive. The cost of parking close and sitting in prime seating my have price some people out of those activities, but generally speaking attending a game is not all that expensive.

Getting 5 people to a game can be expensive. But I think it’s mostly people that don’t value a game experience.

I’d rather sit in the top row of jack trice then watch a game on tv.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Haunted Forest may pick up some business for this season.

• Winner
Reactions: CubsClones1

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Funny this pops up....

Last year I was able to get into the RV lot being in the $1000 donation level. This year I figured I might get bumped so I ended up calling the Cyclone Club to see if I would make the cut. At that time, 3 days before the deadline, I still had 16 individuals behind me, so I figured I was good. Well last week, mid week, I called and asked if I got in, cause I never got an email the year before saying either way. Well come to find out the individual that pulls that information was busy doing other things, so he hadn't pulled the information. They end up telling me that if I want to guarantee myself a spot that I needed to bump my donation to the $2500 mark and gave me until the end of last week to do so. Well I am not like most of the CF'ers, and I don't have an endless amount of cash so I didn't up my donation.

2 things really PO'd me about this:

A) if they have a deadline they need to stick to it. I know that by delaying the deadline they may be getting more people to donate more, however that just screws those of us that are proactive and get it done by the deadline. To me that would be like the Powerball being like, "well heck we are getting a ton of people buying lottery tickets lets just extend the drawing a day or 2 to get more money"

B) Why do they only send an email to those that didn't get in. I think they need to send it to both those that did and didn't get in.

Sorry a little frustrated!!!

BTW - Since I didn't get in the others that got in last year with me decided they were going to just come by use. so we will be selling 2 RV passes. If you are interested reach out to me through PM.

Reactions: EIClone

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I suppose if you have to drive a long way to come to the games, then RVs can make sense. Drive a car, pickup, SUV. That's cheaper.

Also, maybe this will force the hand of the AD to pave some more area for additional RV parking.

It's almost like we have a giant grass lot available, plans available, and the demand is there. Time for some more parking.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I always communicate with the AD and he is exceptional about responding. The purpose of the thread was to see how others might have been affected. You can’t expect change unless you are informed.

• Agree
Reactions: Boxerdaddy

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Lose lose for AD. Tell you it’s full of higher donors...lose. Tell you you need to up donation 150% to $2500 to keep your spot...lose.

In the past, at least with some increases, they had basically said 'youre grandfathered in this year, but if you want to maintain it next year you're going to have to up to at least this amount'. With how people get established in the same tailgating spots every year, there should be some sort of option for people to have 'right of first option' to play ball at the new level or get out.

At least that gives some people the option. Losing spots is what it is. I tailgated in S4 for several years, and when they took out the lot in the south endzone for the reiman project it pretty much killed our tailgating group, so i can at least empathize with those who are losing. But its the cost of progress.

• Agree
Reactions: RonBurgundy

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
Pretty much puts a downer on my day. I get it money is king and pays for extras. Still isn't going to make it fell good for the MANY Rv lot pass holders who get the boot. I have been in the RV lots for 7 or 8 years and have made great friends. Going to miss the Friday nights and Sunday morning the most, when you got to know your neighbors.

Unfortunatey I am not in a position to up my donation next year, the jump to $2500 is just too much without a company match or large group. Have to look at the alternatives. And I had some new stuff ready for this fall.