RV lots torn asunder

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I suppose if you have to drive a long way to come to the games, then RVs can make sense. Drive a car, pickup, SUV. That's cheaper.

Also, maybe this will force the hand of the AD to pave some more area for additional RV parking.

You don't need a pass to bring an RV. The general grass lots have plenty each game.

Reactions: keepngoal

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
They need to make exiting the haunted forest a one way heading east (right turn only). Takes forever to get out of that place

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If this is really true, it's total BS, and Pollard should be ashamed IMO.

I totally understand if the demand is there, you tell the current RV pass holders that they have to up their donation if they still want to get in, but to not notify them at all and just say you're out and you don't get a chance to up your donation.... that is just wrong on every level.

This is the problem every program wants, however, you don't just throw out the ones that have been here all this time through good and bad and not at least allow them to give more to stay in their spot.

• Dumb
Reactions: keepngoal

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
If this is really true, it's total BS, and Pollard should be ashamed IMO.

I totally understand if the demand is there, you tell the current RV pass holders that they have to up their donation if they still want to get in, but to not notify them at all and just say you're out and you don't get a chance to up your donation.... that is just wrong on every level.

This is the problem every program wants, however, you don't just throw out the ones that have been here all this time through good and bad and not at least allow them to give more to stay in their spot.
Pretty sure people have already said something was sent out last winter that mentioned it was a possibility of getting removed from that parking lot unless you upped your donation to $2500.

• Agree
Reactions: CyclonePigskin

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
The difference between a 1k and 2.5k donor is not 1500 dollars if they have been donating for awhile. If they have both been donating for a decade or more the difference is at least 15,000 dollars.

Jamie giving the 1k donors a chance to up their donation to 2.5k to keep the pass wouldn't make up a five figure difference and is probably why he didn't even bother giving them the chance to keep it with a higher donation.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We can't have it both ways, continued success on the field, and then low ticket and parking prices. ISU tickets and parking are some of the lowest in the conference. So are contributions and what you get from them.

Currently you can purchase a ticket in the Sokup South endzone for a donation of $1000, which allows you to purchase 4 tickets at $750 a piece. At Iowa that donation level would allow you to purchase one ticket. If you wanted four, the donation would be 4 grand, and then the price of the tickets.

We need more parking, the university needs to convert the intermural fields on the East side of University St. into paved parking lots. The city of Ames could also allow parking on the sidewalk and green space west of the stadium when the weather allows. You could park a lot of cars on the east side of the street west of the stadium.

The price of success is measured in $$$$, we have been lucky before, but we also sucked at football. Time to stop complaining and pony up. Go cyclones, I cannot wait for the season to arrive.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
We have great fans, but we are the biggest cheapskate tightwad fan base in the conference by far.

Of course this is about money. How are we supposed to pay for these coaches and facilities?

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
We can't have it both ways, continued success on the field, and then low ticket and parking prices. ISU tickets and parking are some of the lowest in the conference. So are contributions and what you get from them.

The price of success is measured in $$$$, we have been lucky before, but we also sucked at football. Time to stop complaining and pony up. Go cyclones, I cannot wait for the season to arrive.

I agree. One thing that we all have to weigh is that in general fewer people are attending major college football games. JTS is awesome, and I have been attending since the very first game in 1975, but HDTV and such do make it "easier" to stay home.

If that giant new paved lot ever becomes a reality, the folks who get to park there will probably be asked to pay a premium for that location.

Supply and demand will determine a lot.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
I agree. One thing that we all have to weigh is that in general fewer people are attending major college football games. JTS is awesome, and I have been attending since the very first game in 1975, but HDTV and such do make it "easier" to stay home.

If that giant new paved lot ever becomes a reality, the folks who get to park there will probably be asked to pay a premium for that location.

Supply and demand will determine a lot.

I believe it was suppose to be for the RV parking. Electric hookups and permanent bathrooms over there. That would open up the D lots for car parking

• Agree
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
We need more parking, the university needs to convert the intermural fields on the East side of University St. into paved parking lots. The city of Ames could also allow parking on the sidewalk and green space west of the stadium when the weather allows. You could park a lot of cars on the east side of the street west of the stadium.

None of these things are going to happen. Especially not point #1. The $10 million rec field renovation starts in a few weeks.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
None of these things are going to happen. Especially not point #1. The $10 million rec field renovation starts in a few weeks.
That's right.

So where else can additional parking be located? I know there are some practice fields south of G7. I can't imagine giving that area up for parking. I am surprised that the University has not made a deal with the owners of Kmart so that fees can be charged to park there in exchange for cleanup fees. Maybe a current public grass lot gets paved for more donor parking? Maybe more of the public will be encouraged to park in lots on the north side of campus. Migh kill some atmosphere, but open up more paved spots close to stadium for donors/RVs.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
I have been an RV lot pass holder for a least the last 7-8 years. I only donate at the $1000 level and won't be upping my donation just to be in those lots. I understand money drives college sports, and understand the change. It was nice not having to deal with game day traffic and come in Friday and leave Sunday.

The RV people do a real good job of policing themselves and working with the parking attendants. For the most part, they work with their neighbors better than any lots I have been in. I will miss that.

But I can take a great vacation on the extra $1500 and still enjoy a great game day atmosphere tailgating in another lot. Also, not being tax deductable affected the choice.

I agree that we have it great for parking and ticket prices. Extremely below market value for season passes. But that is what helps keep people coming to games. A lot of places price half there fans out of the ability to attend more that one game a season.

I hope JP ( and the fans) keep this in mind as success continues. There is always ways to make it better, just don't forget the small people along the way. Without them, you lose the excitement and atmosphere.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Few things:
1. I believe Iowa State has a green space requirement to meet as a land grant school. It isn't just as easy as paving some fields. There's politics BS.
2. I don't think people understand how expensive of a project that's going to be and that it will never pay for itself.
3. The parking on the renovated intramural fields COULD be made into a paved lot with RV hookups.

• Disagree
Reactions: Urbandale2013

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
It's almost like we have a giant grass lot available, plans available, and the demand is there. Time for some more parking.
That's what I have been saying. PRIME parking space just across from the stadium. Scrape off the grass and lay down some beautiful asphalt. Do it now.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Few things:
1. I believe Iowa State has a green space requirement to meet as a land grant school. It isn't just as easy as paving some fields. There's politics BS.
2. I don't think people understand how expensive of a project that's going to be and that it will never pay for itself.
3. The parking on the renovated intramural fields COULD be made into a paved lot with RV hookups.
This is what I think will happen if anything. They could hard surface 1/3 of what is there and leave the rest.
When I sent an email last year inquiring about this. They made it sound that the RV space wouldnt increase all that much which leads me to believe that the current RV lots would become regular parking.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190412-094548_Earth.jpg
    Screenshot_20190412-094548_Earth.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 26

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Few things:
There is the land grant issue but I feel like the school uses that as a crutch. There has to be ways to get around it for even just the school portion of that discussion.

This project will not only pay for itself directly but there will be a lot of indirect costs. As tv gets better we need to increase the quality of attendance to maintain our attendance levels.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
This is what I think will happen if anything. They could hard surface 1/3 of what is there and leave the rest.
When I sent an email last year inquiring about this. They made it sound that the RV space wouldnt increase all that much which leads me to believe that the current RV lots would become regular parking.
If they turn the intramural fields into an RV lot they would want to make it more park like. They aren't going to just asphalt over the whole area so you might gain 25% more parking unless they took over the entire area. Here is the current RV parking laid over the fields. Spread that out with some green space and trees and you really don't gain much RV parking. You would gain quite a bit more car parking in the D lots.
Capture4.JPG