Royce refuses to play in D League

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
I don't think Royce has any intentions of playing basketball... He's trying to set up some ground breaking ADA lawsuit...
I've wondered about this plenty of times and that's one of the things that peeves me. He leans heavily on the ADA as the reason that the Rockets are in the wrong. The message that I'm getting is that I'd better not hire a person with a disability because they're just going to throw the ADA back at me whenever they don't get what they want.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I can't answer those questions. Neither can you. Playing jump to conclusions and pin the blame on the *** just might not be the best game to play under those circumstances.

But I can answer them. There is no excuse for not showing up in shape. There is no way playing the D-league is more harmful than the NBA.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
If you saw all the joy and positive things he brought to the University and community the past two years and then turn your back on him while he struggles mightily at the next stage in his life, then yes, you have some bad character.

WOW, some people are taking this way too seriously. turning backs, judging character? No matter what I do, it's isn't going to do anything for Royce. And I'm pretty sure, based on his past actions, he doesn't really give a **** what I or anyone else thinks.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My take on this has evolved to where I don’t think he wants to play basketball at all. He was able to travel and play at ISU without even missing a practice as far as we know so it is not like he cannot play or travel. He is guaranteed his $3.4M for two years if he is cut. To not pay him the Rockets need to show he didn’t meet the contract terms. Royce can hide behind his disorder to avoid the contract termination issues. Looks to me like he is simply out to steal the money and than go do what he wants, be that his music or some other endeavor. The Rockets hosed themselves by getting into this in the first place and will end up paying the extortion money (after the lawsuits).

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Bull.

If there are any tells to one's character here it is the tells that are showing to Royce's character. No one is turning their back on Royce for his time at ISU, or what he did for the school, or how he was then a credit/role model to the anxiety/mental illness cause when he was here. In fact, the way he was at ISU is what makes this whole thing now so perplexing.

Many on here did still support him even during the early stages of his time in the NBA. We all were hoping he would get things worked out with the Rockets and start playing ball. But he hasn't done that. It appears he is making very little effort to resolve his situation with the team.

Granted, the NBA is much different than college ball, but still......it seems the demands Royce is making on the Rockets go to an extreme. Demands that he was not even close to making in college.......yet he managed to give a pretty stellar performance at ISU. He is on social media constantly criticizing his employer.....the only team in the first 15 of the NBA that had a pick that were willing to take a shot on him......thanks in no small part to the efforts of his college coach, and the relationship that coach had the Rocket's coach.

What Royce is doing is not advancing his cause at all. In fact, his actions are validating the very people that would not take a chance on him because of his anxiety and mental illness.

This last bit, with his "statement" was the last straw for me. When he stupidly attempted to somehow link his anxiety/mental illness with the Sandy Hook attack that saw over 20 innocent children murdered......that was just too much. That was despicable to me, and I think to many others. At that point......yes.......Royce lost my support.

You can choose to still support him even after something like that if you like. I won't.

Actually Houston had three top picks so it made it easier for them. The current second most sent story on ESPN is: Royce White rejects Houston Rockets' assignment to D-League - ESPN

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
It's very apparent that RW is mentally unprepared for the professional sports business. That doesn't make him a bad person. It just is what it is.

Any arena like major professional sports, where millions and billions of dollars are on the line for most of the major participants, will very much be a cut throat business. It's produce or go home, on all levels.

Not a great fit for someone with severe anxiety issues.

That just doesn't make for a good environment

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I wonder if there was any activity during his time here. Was he completely babied here or what? I'd be interested in what players from the team last year truly thought about him outside of Babb.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
@Highway_30: Funny, headlines read "Royce refuses D-League assignment." NO! I refuse to go to work period. UNSAFE for just anyone to make medical calls.

Well as long as you're refusing to do ANY work then that makes it okay.

K

KFitzy87

This ****ing thing is getting so bad, I think the plane crashed into the gawddammed train.
Royce White as illustrated through Calvin and Hobbes:

disaster-1024x768.jpg