RECRUITING: Osun Osunniyi commits

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Kelvin Cato 2.0????
He has 304 blocks over 4 seasons (Cato had 274 in 3 seasons)

An interesting stat I noticed about Osun - he has a positive Assist - TO ratio for his career. That is extremely rare for a big man, but he's averaged 1.8 assists and 1.7 turnovers per game over 4 years. (George averaged 1.9 and 1.5 last year)

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Swatter/Flusher, I like to call it.

Just thinking back to all the close games and so many misses at the rim. We got screwed @KU last year when they turned off goaltending but we also probably win if we can get any easy finishes inside.

If he can legit finish at the rim it makes it easier for the guy playing beside him to finish.

Reactions: cyclones500

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think it would probably be a deeper and more well rounded roster than last year...although need to wait and see about the "get buckets" factor of Green vs IB last year in the Big 12, knowing the Big 12 isn't just tougher than the MVC, it's been tougher than every conference. IB just went nuts in a few games like only a small handful of players in the conference could.

This commit today could fill some voids even some of our successful teams have had.

Every team is going to have more unknowns every year now, people say "defense travels" but it'll be interesting to see if defense remains as a culture with such high change and turnover of rosters year to year.
A shot blocker on the back end of the defense can really cover up for any flaws left in the perimeter defense (though it sounds like all these guys so far are defensive minded).

Reactions: jmax71 and HFCS

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
A shot blocker on the back end of the defense can really cover up for any flaws left in the perimeter defense (though it sounds like all these guys so far are defensive minded).
It also allows the perimeter defenders to be a little more aggressive, as the consequences of getting beat may not be as bad with a big time rim protector.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Iowa State game quote for every team next year: "I didn't even comb my hair today," said Iowa State guard Michael Nurse, "because I knew it would be a dogfight."

I know we are losing some good defenders, but in some ways GK was our best perimeter defender (certainly best on ball defender) and he's back. I'm imagining if last year's defense had this guy...that's scary good.