RECRUITING: Cyclones contact Tamin Lipsey on the first official day of 2022 recruiting

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Anyway, back to Lipsey, I know the guys that have been training him, and they said physically he is all the way back and then some.

It's probably going to take until next summer's AAU circuit for him to climb back up the rankings, but I suspect it will happen.
Someone please tell me he grew up idolizing Monte.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Him being 6'1" and the knee injury will likely keep him in a range that gives us a good chance to keep him in Ames. If Michigan or blue blood offers were to come that would be tough for him to turn down. This could end up being a Steve/ISU vs Fred/Nebrasketball battle imo.

Should be ISU versus somebodies much better than Nebraska unless he doesn't bounce back in his rankings. Won't almost any P5 offer outside of the Pac12 be better than Nebraska if you aren't from Nebraska or a legacy?

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Should be ISU versus somebodies much better than Nebraska unless he doesn't bounce back in his rankings. Won't almost any P5 offer outside of the Pac12 be better than Nebraska if you aren't from Nebraska or a legacy?

He has a good relationship with Fred. They'll probably be in it until the end. Them being abysmal again this year is going to make it a tough sell though.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Lipsey looks a lot more rocked up than Morris was as a college freshman. Lipsey looks more naturally built for strength. Frankly, reminds me a bit more of a Curtis Stinson hybrid with Monte... but in terms of the game style I agree, he definitely looks like he plays with pace like Monte did so well.

I just like that, it seems like Lipsey has a great all-around game. He is strong to the hole, finishes well, plays P&R well, has a nice jumper from range, good passer. I am not sure if he really needs to grow more to be a great college guard. If he does grow, it will more likely add to his draft stock, and probably more lethal in college.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
He has a good relationship with Fred. They'll probably be in it until the end. Them being abysmal again this year is going to make it a tough sell though.
I don't know much about the Nebraska roster for next year, but I know one thing that Fred did well in Ames was get transfers to accelerate our program back to relevance. Granted, Nebraska is a tougher place to get guys to come to than Ames for basketball, if anyone can make it happen, it's Fred. Having said that, how bad is Nebraska supposed to be next season? I know for the 2021 season they're listed as "warm" on a five star and three guys that are four star recruits. If Fred is able to land two out of those four guys then it might be enough momentum to make Lipsey want to join Fred in Lincoln. I still see us as the frontrunner with the hometown kid right now, but Nebraska definitely worries me a little bit when it comes to landing Lipsey.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I don't know much about the Nebraska roster for next year, but I know one thing that Fred did well in Ames was get transfers to accelerate our program back to relevance. Granted, Nebraska is a tougher place to get guys to come to than Ames for basketball, if anyone can make it happen, it's Fred. Having said that, how bad is Nebraska supposed to be next season? I know for the 2021 season they're listed as "warm" on a five star and three guys that are four star recruits. If Fred is able to land two out of those four guys then it might be enough momentum to make Lipsey want to join Fred in Lincoln. I still see us as the frontrunner with the hometown kid right now, but Nebraska definitely worries me a little bit when it comes to landing Lipsey.

I think his roster might be a little better next year. However, the transfer recruits he is pulling now are not Royce White and all those dudes. They are more Jeff Beverly.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I think the obsession with Hoiberg is here is odd. If Lipsey blows up in the rankings Nebraska won't be the issue. Jeez, kid was like 11 when Fred served his last year as mayor here. He caught lightening in the jar here for a few years but the whole transfer landscape has changed with everyone, even bloodbloods, getting into the act.

• Winner
Reactions: cyputz

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

They basically have an entirely new roster sans Thor. Barttorvik has them 124th overall and they'll most certainly be picked last in all the Big 10 preseason polls.

Some notable pieces they have coming in:
Teddy Allen - JuCo scorer who will be on his 4th school in 3 years (West Virginia, Wichita State, Western Nebraska CC). Probably will be their best or 2nd best player.

Kobe Webster - Undersized point guard from Western Illinois. More of a volume scorer in the Summit league - I'm not high on how that will translate to the Big 10.

Trey McGowens - Pitt shooting guard transfer who is a really good defender. Needs to improve on the offensive end but this was a really nice pick up for Fred. Nebraska really needs him to get a waiver.

The rest of the newcomers are nothing to write home about for the most part. A TCU big transfer who essentially didn't play in his 1 year in Ft Worth, a former top 100 wing who played sparingly at Western Kentucky and sat out last year, and a forward who had a decent 1st year at Pitt before transferring to Nevada and then sitting out again at UNL last year.

I'll say they win more than 7 games this year but I wouldn't go much higher than 10.

Reactions: Thomasrickj

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
They basically have an entirely new roster sans Thor. Barttorvik has them 124th overall and they'll most certainly be picked last in all the Big 10 preseason polls.

Teddy Allen - JuCo scorer who will be on his 4th school in 3 years (West Virginia, Wichita State, Western Nebraska CC). Probably will be their best or 2nd best player.

Kobe Webster - Undersized point guard from Western Illinois. More of a volume scorer in the Summit league - I'm not high on how that will translate to the Big 10.

Trey McGowens - Pitt shooting guard transfer who is a really good defender. Needs to improve on the offensive end but this was a really nice pick up for Fred. Nebraska really needs him to get a waiver.

The rest of the newcomers are nothing to write home about for the most part. A TCU big transfer who essentially didn't play in his 1 year in Ft Worth, a former top 100 wing who played sparingly at Western Kentucky and sat out last year, and a forward who had a decent 1st year at Pitt before transferring to Nevada and then sitting out again at UNL last year.

I'll say they win more than 7 games this year but I wouldn't go much higher than 10.
Thanks for the good analysis!

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

BT is already picking them last in the B10 by a healthy margin --

upload_2020-7-23_10-23-55.png

Maryland is within striking distance; Minnesota and Northwestern are not supposed to be much good; but after that, catching the field will be difficult.

They were bad last year *AND* they return the fewest minutes and the fewest possession-weighted minutes of anybody in the conference.

Fred is going to have to pull a Siberian tiger out of his hat on this one.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
What I'm understanding is that Lincoln is a place where coaching careers go to die.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
BT is already picking them last in the B10 by a healthy margin --

View attachment 73770

Maryland is within striking distance; Minnesota and Northwestern are not supposed to be much good; but after that, catching the field will be difficult.

They were bad last year *AND* they return the fewest minutes and the fewest possession-weighted minutes of anybody in the conference.

Fred is going to have to pull a Siberian tiger out of his hat on this one.

That projection also mistakenly includes Cam Mack. You remove him and they drop from 103rd to 124th.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Yeah, we need to remember it was Fred's first year, he didn't have success in wins at ISU year one either. I don't think he'll have the jump in year 2 but the transfers he have gotten are solid if not better and better than Beverly types. Losing Kobe King hurt his chances for next year.

Still plenty of talent to beat Fran, as he did last year, as a cyclone fan is my main Nebby concern. ;)

Reactions: BACyclone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yeah, we need to remember it was Fred's first year, he didn't have success in wins at ISU year one either. I don't think he'll have the jump in year 2 but the transfers he have gotten are solid if not better and better than Beverly types. Losing Kobe King hurt his chances for next year.

Still plenty of talent to beat Fran, as he did last year, as a cyclone fan is my main Nebby concern. ;)

There is a lot of daylight between Jeff Beverly and the types of transfers that prompted Hoiberg's rapid turnaround in Ames like Royce, Allen, and Babb.

Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
There is a lot of daylight between Jeff Beverly and the types of transfers that prompted Hoiberg's rapid turnaround in Ames like Royce, Allen, and Babb.
Royce - despite what we know about his mental state now - was as close as you can get to a unique talent. The other transfer pieces were very good but the transformational talent that was Royce White made Fred's second team and put him and Iowa State on the map as the place to go for second chances. Royce led the team in points, rebounds, blocks and assists and as a F/C he handled point guard duties.

We can debate whether Fred's new pieces are closer to Beverly or closer to a Chris (Allen or Babb), but there is no player remotely close to Royce on that roster.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Royce - despite what we know about his mental state now - was as close as you can get to a unique talent. The other transfer pieces were very good but the transformational talent that was Royce White made Fred's second team and put him and Iowa State on the map as the place to go for second chances. Royce led the team in points, rebounds, blocks and assists and as a F/C he handled point guard duties.

We can debate whether Fred's new pieces are closer to Beverly or closer to a Chris (Allen or Babb), but there is no player remotely close to Royce on that roster.

Babb may have been the best lockdown defender we’ve seen this past decade as well was a heck of a shot behind the 3 pt line