Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Missed something when discussing my brake repairs with the service rep. Planned for $800, reached the budget hard to have that ready.
Went in yesterday to get it. $1500.

So, now we're waiting for some payment plan answers that aren't coming, and really just doing one car for a while.

I think it's a message from God that you should open a brake repair shop. JFC, that seems really high unless everything needs replacing.

Full Disclosure: I don't really know what brakes SHOULD cost because mine always seem to last forever. Mostly drove manual so letting up on the gas let the transmission slow the car and I also have never been a slam on the brakes at every stop kind of guy. I was gentle on my small boy toys and guess that carried over to adult toys. Smooth braking and acceleration also might be a byproduct of driving my dad's old underpowered and poorly braked trucks 50 years ago.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Next Tuesday my Mom is going to get her bronchi scoped. I guess you need to be put under for that. I think I am going to have to get out there next week.
It doesn't look like anyone else at work is taking time off next week so I should be able to. Get up early Saturday morning and start driving.
I hope the weather cooperates for you...

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Went to first parent meeting for daughter's new traveling soccer team last night. (It's mostly the same team as last year but the really good striker but cancer to the team is gone.) They were talking about fundraising and they do this thing where the teams sign up to bag groceries at Cub. Crazy parent team manager is so excited about how she snagged two great dates for bagging and has us locked in. First date is Wednesday, November 27 - afternoon and evening. I just shake my head because we of course will be out of town for the Thanksgiving holiday just like about half of the team.

"I know that a lot of girls won't be able to do it but it is a great date because they are always really busy the day before Thanksgiving."

She announces the next date: afternoon and evening of December 24th. I was sitting about 5 feet from her and I just laid my head down on the table. "Surprisingly" about 3/4 of the team won't be available for fricken Christmas Eve!

"I can't believe how lucky we were that these two dates were available!"

Uh, there's a reason they were available. It is great for her because they split the proceeds between the cost liabilities of the girls present and her girl will be there. The girls who can't be there will be on the hook for that much more of our additional team expenses.

Good news is it is looking like a tournament in Central Iowa is likely. Daughter has wanted one for a while so Grandma and Grandpa can see her play an entire tourney. Will probably host a big pasta party at G&G's as well. We also have a chance at a KC tourney so her cousins down there might get to see her play as well.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I think it's a message from God that you should open a brake repair shop. JFC, that seems really high unless everything needs replacing.

Full Disclosure: I don't really know what brakes SHOULD cost because mine always seem to last forever. Mostly drove manual so letting up on the gas let the transmission slow the car and I also have never been a slam on the brakes at every stop kind of guy. I was gentle on my small boy toys and guess that carried over to adult toys. Smooth braking and acceleration also might be a byproduct of driving my dad's old underpowered and poorly braked trucks 50 years ago.

Well all of the above and what have you put on for miles this yr isn't it like 4000 or so? My brakes last a long time mile wise but that's because a put on a boat load of hwy miles.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Went to first parent meeting for daughter's new traveling soccer team last night. (It's mostly the same team as last year but the really good striker but cancer to the team is gone.) They were talking about fundraising and they do this thing where the teams sign up to bag groceries at Cub. Crazy parent team manager is so excited about how she snagged two great dates for bagging and has us locked in. First date is Wednesday, November 27 - afternoon and evening. I just shake my head because we of course will be out of town for the Thanksgiving holiday just like about half of the team.

"I know that a lot of girls won't be able to do it but it is a great date because they are always really busy the day before Thanksgiving."

She announces the next date: afternoon and evening of December 24th. I was sitting about 5 feet from her and I just laid my head down on the table. "Surprisingly" about 3/4 of the team won't be available for fricken Christmas Eve!

Uh, there's a reason they were available. It is great for her because they split the proceeds between the cost liabilities of the girls present and her girl will be there. The girls who can't be there will be on the hook for that much more of our additional team expenses.

Good news is it is looking like a tournament in Central Iowa is likely. Daughter has wanted one for a while so Grandma and Grandpa can see her play an entire tourney. Will probably host a big pasta party at G&G's as well. We also have a chance at a KC tourney so her cousins down there might get to see her play as well.
How are some people so brain dead that they don't think people might already have plans on the days before Thanksgiving and Christmas?
How much money could they make doing this? I would think a pancake breakfast or spaghetti dinner would raise more.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
How are some people so brain dead that they don't think people might already have plans on the days before Thanksgiving and Christmas?
How much money could they make doing this? I would think a pancake breakfast or spaghetti dinner would raise more.
The team has no facility to do a meal so that immediately starts digging into any proceeds. Then there are product costs, having a health inspections certified individual in the kitchen and pretty soon you are on the hook for a lot without a guarantee you are getting it all back. Other soccer teams have made over a grand* in just six hours of bagging.

They are also looking at a Chipotle night. (You sign up and then send family and friends to eat at Chipotle that night. Chipotle donates like 35% of sales of everyone who mentions the team at that store's register that night.

There may be other fundraisers as well, but ultimately traveling soccer is just flat out expensive.

*Actual results may vary.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I almost forgot when mentioning fundraising... She brought up the idea of reselling Krispy Kreme doughnuts since "somebody on the team drives down to Iowa regularly."

Selling candy bars was also mentioned.

• Funny
Reactions: oldman and NWICY

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

It's too bad that she picked those dates but the Cub bagging for our tennis team raises really good money in a short amount of time and with only a few girls. The tennis team does a steak fry and it does raise more money but it involves a lot more people and a lot more work.

That KC tourney must be huge. All of our neighbors that do travelling soccer have been there multiple times. I believe @coolerifyoudid's daughter plays in it. You could probably stay at his house.

edit: The amount you stated for Cub seems about right. I think the tennis team raised about $600 in 4 hours.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012

It's open because the courtesy clerks, who are usually high schoolers, have already asked for those days off.

And _I'M_ sorry, but if I'm checking on the frickin' busiest day of the year, I'm not going to be too thrilled about having an inexperienced bagger* assigned to me. I want my best checkers and best baggers the whole way.

*VeloClone - I'm sure your daughter would do a lovely job, but if she hasn't done it before, there's of course a learning curve. Learning/training on the two busiest days of the year is NOT a good idea.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It's too bad that she picked those dates but the Cub bagging for our tennis team raises really good money in a short amount of time and with only a few girls. The tennis team does a steak fry and it does raise more money but it involves a lot more people and a lot more work.

That KC tourney must be huge. All of our neighbors that do travelling soccer have been there multiple times. I believe @coolerifyoudid's daughter plays in it. You could probably stay at his house.

edit: The amount you stated for Cub seems about right. I think the tennis team raised about $600 in 4 hours.
Daughter's school soccer team(s) did the steak fry at Osseo Legion (I think it was the Legion...). It was bonkers.

I think my daughter and your kids may go to the same school now.

images

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It's open because the courtesy clerks, who are usually high schoolers, have already asked for those days off.

And _I'M_ sorry, but if I'm checking on the frickin' busiest day of the year, I'm not going to be too thrilled about having an inexperienced bagger* assigned to me. I want my best checkers and best baggers the whole way.

*VeloClone - I'm sure your daughter would do a lovely job, but if she hasn't done it before, there's of course a learning curve. Learning/training on the two busiest days of the year is NOT a good idea.
Mrs. Velo could train her. She worked Hy-Vee through HS and college. Bagging is another of her gripes with the Minnesota version of Hy-Vee. Her anger with our Hy-Vee would be comical if it wasn't so well founded.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Pads and a lot more. Whole system back there broke down.
The number $800 was actually part of the conversation. Somehow, I thought the whole thing was coming to that. Not thrilled about missing that, or whatever happened.

Also, no call from them, so I'll just expect the worst.
And I swear I was feeling great and positive until opening my e-mail.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY and SCyclone

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Daughter's school soccer team(s) did the steak fry at Osseo Legion (I think it was the Legion...). It was bonkers.

I think my daughter and your kids may go to the same school now.

images
My son goes there and the younger daughter will next year. We like the school. The teacher's and admin are pretty good. Too bad the girl's soccer team got beat so early at state. How's she liking it so far?

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Speaking of bagging groceries, I did it in high school.....and some of these kids they hire at Hy-Vee really need some direction. One of my pet peeves is the kid who can only fit 1 or 2 items in a bag - really? Last week I got home and I had one bag with a loaf of bread in it. (Among about 74 other bags, of course.) :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.