Pumping Milk at Work

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Having a wife that's nursed all of our kids, I know how exhausting, taxing, and time consuming it is to pump on top of everything to keep the milk supply up. She's had to do it on flights before to keep the schedule. We carried her pump supplies all around Washington DC for four days to be able to keep up. That being said, I too would find it odd that she isn't using a designated area to do it. I'd try not to worry about it as she's not going to be doing it for more than a few months.

Unless she's one of those that breastfeeds until the kid is 4.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Unless she's one of those that breastfeeds until the kid is 4.

Truth.

My wife stopped around a year or little before for each kid but pumped enough extra to go a couple more months of bottles.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Her child is 16 months old now. I'm probably not going to say anything to anyone but I just found it odd is all.

My wife tried very hard with kids but it just didn't work for her. I know it is a lot of work and can be terribly frustrating (especially in our case) more power to all that pumping and feeding works for.

Just feels like it could be a slippery slope legal wise in the office. (I know it is not a sexual thing at all)

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
I would stand up and stare at her every time she does it for the entire duration of the pumping.

That would probably cause her to use one of the rooms or get you fired....problem solved either way.

Reactions: peteypie

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I find that many women who breastfeed are very protective of their perceived right to do it anywhere and anytime they please. I'm convinced there are people that do it in certain places just to outwardly show that they breastfeed/pump and they don't care what you think about it.

It's great and all that people do it, but there is some weird sub-culture of breastfeeding mothers who seem determined to show the world that they are breastfeeders.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
There is a woman in the cube next to me that pumps milk at her desk. The machine is pretty quiet but I just find it odd. Our office has 2 rooms on each of our 6 floors specifically for women to do this. There are several people that work around us but it is not a high traffic area as far as people walking by. My wife thinks it's crazy she does this and was just shocked when I told her about it.

What do you all think? Should I say something to someone?

Odd considering they have made accommodations but if it is not personally offending you why would you say anything?

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
16 months is very odd, but I don't think pumping in the cube is really that strange. Most would use the designated room for such activities though. Perhaps she has a relative or friend who can't breastfeed their infant and she volunteered to donate. Some even sell their milk so perhaps if you could get her a raise she might stop. :p

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Part of the answer as to why she doesn't use the designated space may lie in the nature of the "designated space". On campus, most of the lactation stations are in bathrooms.

If she has reasonable privacy in her cubicle and nothing is showing, I don't see the harm. More convenient electrical outlets, more comfortable chair, counter space, and she doesn't have to listen to toilets flushing while she's pumping. Plus, she's not taking time away from work (which is what people are usually ******** about).

Just ignore it. Livestream music to headphones if the noise of the machine bothers you. And applaud her for her dedication to motherhood AND job. :)

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
If she didn't have a room to do it in then I could understand but it's ridiculous that she does it at her desk when there are facilities meant for just this type of thing. I wonder how she would feel if you decided to **** in a bucket next to your desk so that you could continue to work.

We have these rooms and they are lockable and with wi-fi you could do everything that you could at your desk.