Pumping Milk at Work

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
There is a woman in the cube next to me that pumps milk at her desk. The machine is pretty quiet but I just find it odd. Our office has 2 rooms on each of our 6 floors specifically for women to do this. There are several people that work around us but it is not a high traffic area as far as people walking by. My wife thinks it's crazy she does this and was just shocked when I told her about it.

What do you all think? Should I say something to someone?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
There is a woman in the cube next to me that pumps milk at her desk. The machine is pretty quiet but I just find it odd. Our office has 2 rooms on each of our 6 floors specifically for women to do this. There are several people that work around us but it is not a high traffic area as far as people walking by. My wife thinks it's crazy she does this and was just shocked when I told her about it.

What do you all think? Should I say something to someone?
She's doing it and working at the same time, that's called increased efficiency, brother. Recommend that woman for a promotion, maybe even to another floor if you're lucky.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
does seem odd if nice facilities are close by for her to use for that purpose. If she's the only one in her cube (and therefore able to be more discreet) and able to keep working while she does so..........I guess more power to her.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
If it makes you uncomfortable, I don't think it would be wrong to say something. Obviously, we gotta have a lot of respect for mothers, but still.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Yeah, it's weird. But I'd keep my mouth shut.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
I just don't think you want to go there for a multitude of reasons. From her perspective, feeding her baby is a time consuming but absolutely necessary task. On the other hand she's got work to do. There's nothing sexual about it, so those norms just sort of fade away to mother's pumping or breast feeding. What's the harm to you?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Having a wife that's nursed all of our kids, I know how exhausting, taxing, and time consuming it is to pump on top of everything to keep the milk supply up. She's had to do it on flights before to keep the schedule. We carried her pump supplies all around Washington DC for four days to be able to keep up. That being said, I too would find it odd that she isn't using a designated area to do it. I'd try not to worry about it as she's not going to be doing it for more than a few months.

Reactions: Angie