Pumping Milk at Work

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Part of the answer as to why she doesn't use the designated space may lie in the nature of the "designated space". On campus, most of the lactation stations are in bathrooms.

If she has reasonable privacy in her cubicle and nothing is showing, I don't see the harm. More convenient electrical outlets, more comfortable chair, counter space, and she doesn't have to listen to toilets flushing while she's pumping. Plus, she's not taking time away from work (which is what people are usually ******** about).

Just ignore it. Livestream music to headphones if the noise of the machine bothers you. And applaud her for her dedication to motherhood AND job. :)

yeah we have a total of two and both are adjacent to the bathrooms. It's just a partial swinging door separating the very small nook so anyone using the bathrooms likely gets a glimpse as they go in and out. I'm assuming the ones at OP's are nicer just due to the volume they have, but if it's like ours.......yeah, I could see just staying at your desk. Especially if you are someone who takes longer to express and you'd like to get some **** done so you don't have to stay later.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
You should take your pump out and use it. That'll show her.

5rk7zDP.gif

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I find that many women who breastfeed are very protective of their perceived right to do it anywhere and anytime they please. I'm convinced there are people that do it in certain places just to outwardly show that they breastfeed/pump and they don't care what you think about it.

It's great and all that people do it, but there is some weird sub-culture of breastfeeding mothers who seem determined to show the world that they are breastfeeders.

Perceived right? I think that's an actual, real-to-goodness right.

People, especially men, are sooooo judgmental about this topic. It's none of your business and why the **** does anyone else care?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

People, especially men, are sooooo judgmental about this topic. It's none of your business and why the **** does anyone else care?

I think it's somewhat a matter a consideration. It's my right to do certain things in my cubicle, but I know they annoy or distract people, so I don't.

• Winner
Reactions: jkclone

ElephantPie

Aug 17, 2011
I thought I heard the time spent pumping is unpaid (not an expert though). If she doesn't have a company laptop or cellphone or whatever she needs to work from the lactation room, then maybe that's why she stays at her desk. That would suck (pun intended) to be at work for the time spent pumping but not actually getting paid for it IF that is her situation. You at least get paid for going to the bathroom.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Yes, but in this case they have facilitated somewhere to do it. It wouldn't really bother me but I'd understand how it would bother some. It is definitely odd.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think it's somewhat a matter a consideration. It's my right to do certain things in my cubicle, but I know they annoy or distract people, so I don't.

Are those things as important as feeding your child?

And I would say the same thing to anyone complaining about being annoyed or distracted by what you would do - mind your own business, put on headphones if you need to, and stop being so judgmental.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
If I had a good relationship with her I may just ask her why she chooses to do it there compared to the lactation room. More out of curiosity than complaining. I think that should be fairly safe especially if you have a good relationship with her. Does she have a laptop? The time to put towards it is probably a big factor especially if she is not able to do her work from the lactation room.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Exaggerated scenario on both male & female outlook here. I don't recognize the show, but I'm glad you could find something to bolster up the "ewwwwww...I don't want to see those unless I get to play with them" point of view. :)

It's from The Office. Not trying to bolster that point of view. It's just a related scene from one of the best shows of all time.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Are those things as important as feeding your child?

And I would say the same thing to anyone complaining about being annoyed or distracted by what you would do - mind your own business, put on headphones if you need to, and stop being so judgmental.

Oh, I'm not arguing either of these paragraphs. While I think people should adhere to your advice in the 2nd paragraph, I'm not going to worry about it if it weirds somebody out a little and they tell HR.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
There is a woman in the cube next to me that pumps milk at her desk. The machine is pretty quiet but I just find it odd. Our office has 2 rooms on each of our 6 floors specifically for women to do this. There are several people that work around us but it is not a high traffic area as far as people walking by. My wife thinks it's crazy she does this and was just shocked when I told her about it.

What do you all think? Should I say something to someone?

I don't see any way that turns out well for you. Unless it seriously offends you or distracts you, best to let it be.

My wife is breastfeeding our nine month old so she always takes her pump stuff to work, but she has a high stress, very demanding job. Sometimes she doesn't have fifteen minutes or a half hour to leave her desk. Her personal choice is to tough it out and pump when she gets home rather than pumping at her desk. I respect that; it must hurt like hell to wait until she's in the privacy of her own home. But if she pumped at her desk I'd respect that, too. If you're bothered or distracted to the point of not being able to get your work done by the sight of a woman pumping or breastfeeding, it's a you problem.

Last edited:

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
report her for sexual harassment. you can't be expected to work with a boob out in a close proximity to you.
Incorrect. How much "client entertainment" is conducted at strip bars?

The Super Bowl will be in Minneapolis next year. I can't even imagine how many entries there will be on expense reports listing "Rick's Cabaret" as a line item.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone