Pumping Milk at Work

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
See, I just don't understand comparing the two as equally "icky".

I guess it is fear of boobs. Defecating produces a waste product that needs disposal in a sanitary manner, hence the bathroom. Breastfeeding provides a valuable product for the health of a child that some people actually purchase. I continue to not see why people care when it is private and not interfering with work. If it's not hurting anyone, who gives a rat's ass? At least she's feeding her kid, and isn't adopting some foster kid to home school and starve to death.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I think part of the problem is that you're comparing feeding your child to taking a **** in a public place.
You're right, it's not. I was going for the most extreme analogy. Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I just don't care that much what other people do. But I would probably wonder why, like the OP is.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
You're right, it's not. I was going for the most extreme analogy. Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I just don't care that much what other people do. But I would probably wonder why, like the OP is.
Then maybe read all of the possible reasons offered up in the thread. BTW, you were definitely NOT the first person to compare it to taking it to a dump....and they were all men as well...

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
This is a bit off topic but the wife and i don't have any children yet (expecting in January!!!), how often should a woman need to pump and how long should it take? I only ask because recently we had an intern at work who was breast feeding and took several breaks a day to pump. Most days she spent 3-4 hours in the pump room, often for over an hour at a time. I've had other co workers that got by with 30-45 minutes tops during the work day. Was this intern overdoing it? Taking advantage of a naive man?

I'm thinking the main thing she was milking was the time clock.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
You could just turn on some death metal every time she starts to drown out the sound. Problem solved. Anyone asks, say the sound distracts you (which it obviously is if you are thinking about it).

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Are people on this board seriously that uptight that this is even an issue still? It's
Not like she's rubbing one out at work, this is a bological necessity.

And no, it's not like shitting. I've seen a lot of women use breastpumps at work, most are extremely discreet, most are as embarrassed as you.

Next time you question if pumping is like shitting, ask each to do one at your desk. You'll notice pretty quickly a covered breast being pumped is nothing like a nice duke fermenting in your trash can. Grow the **** up.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I've nursed both of my kids - due to milk allergies, I had to pump for one to age 2 (daycare wouldn't allow nut-based milks, soy is bad for boys, and rice milk didn't have enough protein - so, breast milk was all that was left). I think it's crucial that women receive adequate accommodations - it's a shame that, in Iowa, I think companies less than 50 people don't really have to follow the rules. In this situation, while I'm super-modest and wouldn't personally be able to do it, whatever works for her is just fine.

I DO agree that there is some breastfeeding militant behavior. Not, by any means, all nursing parents - and I don't think that it's necessarily bad that there are breastfeeding militants. I was literally never exposed to a single other nursing mother than my aunt up until age, like, 25 - almost everyone bottlefed in the late 80s and 90s when I was in school. So, it was really weird to me when I was training an office on software once and a new mother just had to start pumping during the training while I was talking because she was in pain. I didn't have any experience with it, so I didn't get that it was important and natural and not odd.

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
I've nursed both of my kids - due to milk allergies, I had to pump for one to age 2 (daycare wouldn't allow nut-based milks, soy is bad for boys, and rice milk didn't have enough protein - so, breast milk was all that was left). I think it's crucial that women receive adequate accommodations - it's a shame that, in Iowa, I think companies less than 50 people don't really have to follow the rules. In this situation, while I'm super-modest and wouldn't personally be able to do it, whatever works for her is just fine.

I DO agree that there is some breastfeeding militant behavior. Not, by any means, all nursing parents - and I don't think that it's necessarily bad that there are breastfeeding militants. I was literally never exposed to a single other nursing mother than my aunt up until age, like, 25 - almost everyone bottlefed in the late 80s and 90s when I was in school. So, it was really weird to me when I was training an office on software once and a new mother just had to start pumping during the training while I was talking because she was in pain. I didn't have any experience with it, so I didn't get that it was important and natural and not odd.
OMG, you are such an insensitive misogynist Angie!!! ;)

I think it is OK for someone who isn't used to this to be a little confused and ask some questions, but others on here start calling names out of nowhere. I wish some people would back away from the ledge.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Then maybe read all of the possible reasons offered up in the thread. BTW, you were definitely NOT the first person to compare it to taking it to a dump....and they were all men as well...
In hindsight, I really would not compare the two. I was somewhat playing devil's advocate, as is often the case. I actually would have zero problem with it whatsoever. I'm probably wonder about it like one time and then say hmm, whatevs and never think of it again.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'd say that if she's okay with pumping at her desk you should be too. :rolleyes:

Believe me, once you have kids, having Mama pumping milk is like the least gross thing you'll see all day
vauEUgn.gif