PREDICTIONS: Iowa State @ BYU

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
One thing I know this team can't do in this game is to have a first 3:30 of the 2nd half like they did yesterday against Michigan. Still can't believe we played that poorly offensively in that stretch and won. Team defense in that stretch was huge.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Does anyone have an update of Haws? If he's out I think we win pretty convincingly (10-15 points).

Was browsing through the BYU forums to try and get some insight and they seem to be saying day-to-day, but likely to play by Wed. Seems like sitting him against the last 2 cupcakes was more or less precautionary. Who realy knows, but with ISU's history with these kind of things (and last night was no exception!), I'd bet on him to play!

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
82-79 Cyclones.
Naz continues to go long, Georges schools them down low, Kane drives it hard, and Mel tells them "don't make me aquint you with my elbows!"

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think Ejim, Hogue, and Niang pounding underneath will open up lanes for Kane and shots for Long, Thomas, and Morris, as well as feeds inside to Ejim, Hogue, and Niang. It will be Hoiberg's clinic on how to beat a good shooting, guard-oriented team.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Hopefully the team can make a quick turn around and get back up after draining adrenaline against Michigan.

BYU is no slouch and they should have Haws back healthy, we shut him down last year, but it's a new team/new year.

BYU 84
ISU 76

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
A little off topic, I know, but did anyone else get a feeling of "Holy ****, here we go" when the cameras zoomed in on both Ejim and McGary checking into the game for the first time? I know I did.

Last edited:

Cyclone07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 3, 2013
Ames, IA
We are better than they are on defense, will come down to our three point shooting. If we can make a couple big shots and get a few stops, I think we win. Not extremely confident with this one, though. Will be a very good early road test.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I am tired of non conference schedules with cream puff teams. Losing to BYU on the road will be just as good as beating someone like East Tennessee Valley State A&T when viewing our resume at the end of the season. Now that we beat Michigan there is no way this team reacts badly to losing at BYU (if that should happen). Cruising through bad teams doesn't get the team ready for the Big 12.

Now three years ago we needed a soft schedule for confidence. However Fred has instilled winning back into program. Bring on the tougher games.

I'm totally fine with playing good competition. I just think it would have made sense to get a few less competitive road games out of the way before taking a young team to play in front of 20k people in Provo, Utah. Either way, it'll be a good test. I don't think guys with the mental makeup up Ejim, Niang and Kane will let the team start feeling too good about itself.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm totally fine with playing good competition. I just think it would have made sense to get a few less competitive road games out of the way before taking a young team to play in front of 20k people in Provo, Utah. Either way, it'll be a good test. I don't think guys with the mental makeup up Ejim, Niang and Kane will let the team start feeling too good about itself.

Which "less competitve road games" from this year's non-conf schedule would you like to have moved to before this game?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Which "less competitve road games" from this year's non-conf schedule would you like to have moved to before this game?
Plus, getting the collection of teams you want to play is hard enough, let alone when. What Clonefan32 is asking for is just not reasonable. I prefer to win the lotto before 30, but it is not happening.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Plus, getting the collection of teams you want to play is hard enough, let alone when. What Clonefan32 is asking for is just not reasonable. I prefer to win the lotto before 30, but it is not happening.

My question was a trick question. We don't play any other non-conference road games this year.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Tyler Haws missed their last two games with an "abdominal strain", so of course he'll play. He was averaging ~30 ppg in their first two.

Of their 8 players who have averaged >10 minutes a game, Haws is 6'5", they have 2 6'10" guys and then there are 5 guards under 6'3". Once again I would expect us to go small, their posts don't really worry me.

They have played at an extremely fast pace so far this year, averaging around 95 ppg, including a 113-102 barn burner win over Stanford.

It should be a very entertaining up and down game in a hostile atmosphere and a really good test for our team.

I think the Clones come up a big short due to red hot BYU shooting, losing 88-80.

Reading the preview thread on a BYU message board, I forgot about Kyle Collinsworth, who is 6'6" 215# and averages 8 rpg. It looks like he'll play the 4 a lot and matchup with Ejim.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
ISU-81
BYU-78

We HAVE to win this game. I can't take another let down kick in the nuts game again. Get your ***** out there and perform on the road.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
we had to play BYU early, because we already had later games locked in to set dates (UNI, Auburn, Iowa, Hawaii tourney, etc.).

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Those who predict an Iowa State blow-out in Provo, UT are absolutely nuts!!!

BYU 87
Iowa State 83

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
ISU-81
BYU-78

We HAVE to win this game. I can't take another let down kick in the nuts game again. Get your ***** out there and perform on the road.

Calm down. Losing this game would be disappointing coming off this high, but far from a "kick in the nuts".

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I only predict one direction in basketball, so I think we win this in a wild, high-scoring game.

Not a huge One Direction fan.

Seriously though It's a road game in a very tough environment. I'll go BYU 86-ISU 82. If they can win I'm a true believer and ISU is undefeated going into the KU game.