PREDICTIONS: Iowa State @ BYU

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I haven't watched BYU play at all, but just looking at the stats and the roster, I don't understand why anyone is concerned by their interior play. Even with 3 blowouts, they only have 2 posts playing averaging more that 8 mpg, those are Eric Mika (FR, 6'10" 230#) and Nate Austin (JR, 6'11" 230#). Mike has scored some (12.5 ppg), but only averages 4 rebounds per game and 3.5 fouls in around 20 minutes - playing against poor competition. Austin hasn't scored much at any time in his career, but is averaging around 10 rpg while playing almost 30 minutes a game. He's averaging 3.5 fouls per game too. After that, they have some young big players, but they have barely played in blowouts, I wouldn't expect anything out of them. 6'10" skinny guys that aren't super athletic are the exact types of players who struggle against our posts. They are going to have run the floor, step out and guard the perimeter without fouling, and guard the Ejim/Niang multiple post moves without fouling.

The guards are what make BYU go, but I doubt they've seen anything like Kane, he should be able to post any of them up at any time. They could really struggle with the ISU's physical offense, if we attack the rim (and don't get called for charges every play).

It doesn't look to me like they have the kind of 6'6" physical athlete to match up with Kane, Hogue and Ejim.

I am afraid of a tight whistle in this game though, that could really take our edge away.

Please don't take our Ej away.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
ISU by five Thomas hits 6 threes

My thoughts as well. He is way too good of a shooter to not blow up one of these games. Just needs to get open more.

According to a BYU message board there are people camping out already and getting ready for this game because it is their "white out" game. Their crowd will be rowdy. Hopefully our young guys (even hogue) respond well.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
My thoughts as well. He is way too good of a shooter to not blow up one of these games. Just needs to get open more.

According to a BYU message board there are people camping out already and getting ready for this game because it is their "white out" game. Their crowd will be rowdy. Hopefully our young guys (even hogue) respond well.

Based on their fanbase, wouldn't that be every game for them?

Londo

Apr 22, 2013
Wisconsin
I'm with the group that felt slight optimism going into the MI game now with the slight pessimism going into the BYU game. It will be a dog fight and I feel like Niang will get into foul trouble again. Jimmer Fredette comes out of the stands and the NCAA rules he has 40 minutes of eligibility left, 81-74 BYU

Londo

Apr 22, 2013
Wisconsin

Based on their fanbase, wouldn't that be every game for them?
Kelso Burn.jpg

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I want to know who scheduled this. Young team, first road game, coming off the huge win, in altitude, against a team full of 20+ year olds. Seems like a recipe for disaster.

Seriously, I can't think of a worse first road game. They are good enough they'll give us a game, but I think a loss to them could hurt us later in the year (i.e., its not like a young team going to Duke or something where a loss doesn't hurt).

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
If Ejim's knee came out ok, I think we win this one 82 - 70. It's time to increase our expectations :smile:

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
I want to know who scheduled this. Young team, first road game, coming off the huge win, in altitude, against a team full of 20+ year olds. Seems like a recipe for disaster.

Seriously, I can't think of a worse first road game. They are good enough they'll give us a game, but I think a loss to them could hurt us later in the year (i.e., its not like a young team going to Duke or something where a loss doesn't hurt).

Probably the person who schedules all of our other games....also bear in mind these games are usually scheduled 4 or more years in advance. It's really hard to predict where both teams will be at that far down the road.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

On the contrary, I'd rather get tested in a true road game early, and especially since it now requires continuing momentum after a big home win.

And I still don't think it'd be a bad loss. BYU could wind up in 50-75 RPI range. (of course, too early to tell, so it's a hunch)

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
On the contrary, I'd rather get tested in a true road game early, and especially since it now requires continuing momentum after a big home win.

And I still don't think it'd be a bad loss. BYU could wind up in 50-75 RPI range. (of course, too early to tell, so it's a hunch)

BYU looks like a tourney team to me. I think they'll end up being in the top 50 RPI.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006

When UVA backed out of our h-h agreement, we scrambled to fill the schedule last year, and got BYU last minute. You schedule these when you can, plus this game is covered on ESPN, so that may have had something to do with it.

you can't complain about isu's bball home schedule without agreeing to take on the same teams on the road.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Athleticism: ISU > BYU
Shooting: ISU < BYU
Inside Game: ISU > BYU
Rebounding: ISU > BYU
Passing: ISU < BYU
Maturity: ISU < BYU

This game will come down to last 3-5 possessions. Hopefully we will walk away with W.

InAWord

Nov 16, 2010

I am tired of non conference schedules with cream puff teams. Losing to BYU on the road will be just as good as beating someone like East Tennessee Valley State A&T when viewing our resume at the end of the season. Now that we beat Michigan there is no way this team reacts badly to losing at BYU (if that should happen). Cruising through bad teams doesn't get the team ready for the Big 12.

Now three years ago we needed a soft schedule for confidence. However Fred has instilled winning back into program. Bring on the tougher games.

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
Does anyone have an update of Haws? If he's out I think we win pretty convincingly (10-15 points).

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I'm afraid we will get blown out and lose the huge surge of momentum we got yesterday from Michigan. BYU appears to be very good this season based on the games they had so far. Knowing how we normally play after we crack the top 25, I say BYU wins this one 74-69.