Players dancing on sidelines

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Yeah, because that approach has worked so, so well.

That's the point. We are not the things Rhoads spoke about building the program on. Rhoads talks about needing to run the football and stop the run- should we abandon that failed approach too?

Having fun and goofing off are only a problem if your work quality makes it one. And make no mistake, playing football in the Big 12 against players with more natural ability than you is work, and we better be recruiting kids that embrace that.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
It's stupid and they looked foolish. Reminded me of high school girls softball players doing cheers in their dugouts.

Apr 19, 2006
Being a Cyclone fan I've seen too many Lucy and Charlie Brown moments. So all I could think of was they are going to jinx us. Granted it wasn't them that lost the game, but it's just the Cyclone way unfortunately. We can't count on anything until the time is off the clock.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Dancing on sideline and win? Coolest thing ever. Dancing on sideline and lose? Embarrassing. There is no in between on it. My question... the sideline cannot be "in it" or "have life" without a dance party during timeouts?

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I'm enraged by their lack of joylessness.

Agreed. All I wan to see on the sidelines is position coaches furiously screaming at their players with flames to melt their faces off while the players sit motionless, staring into the abyss that is their weakness.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Some teams have the talent for the fun and loose approach. IMO we need more guys who are in the mood to have fun only when they are winning, if ever. The hard-hat, lunch pail, grinder program Rhoads likes to think his program is.

I only noticed ISU players dancing on the sidelines after they had scored to take the lead so they would have been winning at that point.

"If ever"? Guys who don't have fun playing football are the guys who more often get burnt out and quit before their bodies and/or skill say they have to quit.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I only noticed ISU players dancing on the sidelines after they had scored to take the lead so they would have been winning at that point.

"If ever"? Guys who don't have fun playing football are the guys who more often get burnt out and quit before their bodies and/or skill say they have to quit.

Good. Cut the fat even if losing a little muscle.

You are never winning when you are 2-7 coming off of 3-9. We need to recruit players that have a business approach and mindset. When former players are saying things such as "it is ultimately on the players" or "you can lead a horse to water" the mental approach of the players has already been questioned.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
When something like this happens I ask myself "What would Bill Belichick do?". If Mark Manginio was the head coach would this happen on the sidelines?

I'm kind of torn on the issue. I think it's mostly back-ups that are doing it but the last game I saw actual players on the field dancing before the kick off. I'm probably just old and boring but it makes me a littler uncomfortable when I see Rhoads walk by these guys like nothing is going on.

HoiBallNation

Nov 12, 2014
Waterloo, IA
Listen, playing football, or any sport for that matter, is more than about winning, it is about having fun. If they players need to find an outlet other than winnign games to do it, let them enjoy it. It was fun to watch them too. First time all year that I can rember saying "wow, they actually look like they are having fun."

I say they need to dance more, maybe it will translate to better energy on the field.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have no problem with the kids dancing on the sideline, but sometimes I see players celebrate a nice hit after giving up a big gain. That I don't understand.

This has bugged the heck out of me throughout football at all levels. Really, you delivered a big hit after a 22 yard reception and a first down? Go back to the defensive huddle and figure out how you can stop the team before they get a first down next time.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
Listen, playing football, or any sport for that matter, is more than about winning, it is about having fun. If they players need to find an outlet other than winnign games to do it, let them enjoy it. It was fun to watch them too. First time all year that I can rember saying "wow, they actually look like they are having fun."

I say they need to dance more, maybe it will translate to better energy on the field.

I'd much rather have those boys fired up and ready to run in, than standing solemnly in rows.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm sure that the team dancing on the sidelines during the interminably long media timeouts was because I emailed JP complaining about the long, boring media timeouts.

You're welcome.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron