Playcalling, coaching, etc. - consolidated thread

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Can we all try to be a little less high-handed?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If the over/under for fans that use that play as an excuse for losing was at 100 - I'd take the over. :wink:

I'm not going to say "excuse", but it certainly seemed to be a turning point.

Or, would you prefer brodell's punt return? Damn those coaches for not making the tackle! And I was curious as to which one slipped on Mahoney's uniform, and missed the field goals.

We have a young team. They showed promise. They will improve--and did you really expect to only give up ten points to Iowa's offense?

I'll also guarantee you, with the youth of these two teams, this is the last time you see this game relagated to the lost crevices of Versus or the BTN for a while.

Time to get ready for UNLV...then take a peek at Kansas.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
I don't have any problems with the play calling as in what play we ran, but for God's sake we look about as organized as a pee-wee team trying to get the play in. No doubt we got away with being sloppy at home where the crowd and noise wasn't a factor, but what we're doing isn't working. I hope to hell the staff scraps it and goes back to a normal huddle.

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
The only coaching staff problem I saw was getting the play onto the field. Other than that, we just aren't a good team. Iowa isn't either and it showed today.

Agree, but this is the same kind of play calling that people ran Cotton out of town for.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
anyone dvr the game? if so take a picture of the hit that was clearly not a helmet to helmet penalty and post it. ridiculous call. but redzone offense was terrible, field goals not good, special teams weak. no big plays at all. on the bright side at least we covered the spread.

Bigger than the punt return??? Half truth.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
anyone dvr the game? if so take a picture of the hit that was clearly not a helmet to helmet penalty and post it. ridiculous call. but redzone offense was terrible, field goals not good, special teams weak. no big plays at all. on the bright side at least we covered the spread.

I'll get on it.

goldmember

May 31, 2006
The only questionable play call in my opinion was the 3rd and goal run up the middle. We dominated the 3rd, but could not punch it in. The most annoying thing about the game was Tom Brenamin (SP)...I use to like him for broadcasting baseball....but the guy is an idiot when it comes to football.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
found this recent article on gocyclones.com.....

Phillip Bates jumps up after a 4-yard run.

The Iowa State quarterback sprints to the line of scrimmage. He gets under center. He scans the defense, but he doesn’t know what play he’ll run.

“That doesn’t matter,” Bates said. “It’s so easy. You are on the ball. You get a few signals. You tap the line and then you go.”

http://gocyclones.com/news.php?ID=321

Last edited by a moderator:

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
We play what, 12 true freshman? Mistakes are going to be made. Two years from now the tune will be a 180 about field management.

Yeah, seems to me we are still a team looking for an identity. Both players and coaching. This year is still about improvement over the course of the season. Part of the improvement is going to be how we react to this loss. This game doesn't make or break our season, just have to learn from it.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I'll preface this by saying that we were outplayed today because some people on this board don't think you can critique certain aspects of a game without sounding like a Hawkeye. With that said:

I don't think the premise of this thread is too far off. The inability to get the plays helped in stalling one drive when we had 3rd and 4 and were in good shape. Wasting those timeouts made it so we would have had to have kicked an onsides kick at the end even if we were to punch it in. A fade on a 4th and goal that was either convert or lose? Our red zone offense was awful last year and we blamed it on a new system. Our red zone offense wasn't worth a damn today, either. Iowa's defender did make an excellent play on that pass to Franklin.

And whether some of you on a morally higher ground want to admit it or not, the BS personal foul on Leonard Johnson was game changing.

Reactions: mharder and kingcy

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
And whether some of you on a morally higher ground want to admit it or not, the BS personal foul on Leonard Johnson was game changing.

I'm not on morally higher ground, but I think it was the right call. Unintentional, and an unfortunate break, but the right call. Moeaki was coming down, and led himself right into a good form tackle by LJ. The ref's gonna err on the player's safety and make that call.

ALLIOWAFAN82

Sep 10, 2008
Well what was ISU thinking? What was the coaching staff thinking? wow horrible game planning on their part! What was the idiot who lowered his head into Moeaki? Idiot you cant do that, you get flagged everytime. The players 1st pt of contact was his helmet, which means helmet to helmet contact! But overall a great game, it goes to show that BOTH teams are terrible and probably will struggle the rest of the year. Best of luck to the Clones and the Hawks the rest of the way out. We can only hope for both teams to win and hopefully both get to a bowl game, that way christmas break can be fun for everyone! GO the STATE OF IOWA!

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I'm not on morally higher ground, but I think it was the right call. Unintentional, and an unfortunate break, but the right call. Moeaki was coming down, and led himself right into a good form tackle by LJ. The ref's gonna err on the player's safety and make that call.

I don't have the official rulebook in front of me, so if my interpretation is wrong, feel free to provide a citation and tell me I'm wrong. You admitted yourself there was no intent. He didn't lead with his head. That was a football play, and to penalize a team on what would have been such a big play is awful.

If that was the correct call with how the rule is stated, then that rule sucks.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron