Playcalling, coaching, etc. - consolidated thread

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
The playcalling was questionable in a couple spots, but putting the blame completely on them is wrong.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Momentum swung completely on Leonard Johnson's hit on Moeaki. We had the momentum with our defense playing lights out in the second half. Iowa goes on to score 14 points and put the game out of reach.

If the over/under for fans that use that play as an excuse for losing was at 100 - I'd take the over. :wink:

Didn't like the call either, but we had already missed a few kicks and much more before that point.

I would have liked to seen us go for it on that short FG on 4th and 1. But, we had failed at that in the previous week...so...

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Probably cost us this game, between poor calls,and not getting the play in in time, and not going for it on 4th down several times.:sad:
remember when everyone was on my case last weekend? i told you our play calling was gonna cost us and i told you that iowa has a strong defense. overall, we looked pretty good. moved the ball better than iowa but couldnt put up any points. our tackling needs work! if we would have tackled better, would have been a different outcome

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
I said part of the blame goes on the players...but the fact we couldn't get a play in and called for 39 seconds is inexcusable.

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
Hey...we were very competitive, despite ourselves

...difficulty getting play calls in....missed fg's.....missed opportunities...

nboltz

Apr 9, 2006
Ames
In the end Iowa played better. Not much to say other than that. Just wondering how I'm posting in the future. Its only 2:23.

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
anyone dvr the game? if so take a picture of the hit that was clearly not a helmet to helmet penalty and post it. ridiculous call. but redzone offense was terrible, field goals not good, special teams weak. no big plays at all. on the bright side at least we covered the spread.

conmebol

Apr 11, 2006
That happened what...once or twice? Inexcusable, but was not the reason we lost.

I agree that it was not the reason we lost. Hopefully as we grow as a team, those kinks can be cleaned up. Not only from the players, but from the coaching staff also.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The only coaching staff problem I saw was getting the play onto the field. Other than that, we just aren't a good team. Iowa isn't either and it showed today.

Exactly. Chizik wasn't doing "coach-speak" last week when he said ISU was not a good FB team. He's a straight-shooter.