Pellet grills

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Made 4 pork shoulders several times on my GMG Daniel Boone. With the WiFi option, I was monitoring and adjusting the temp while out at a bar. That is freaking awesome.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Made 4 pork shoulders several times on my GMG Daniel Boone. With the WiFi option, I was monitoring and adjusting the temp while out at a bar. That is freaking awesome.

I did a 17 lb brisket this past winter during a snow storm with the thermal blanket on. Started about 8 pm and set my alarm for 2 am. Just reach over and raised the temp up via the GMG app and went back to sleep. Like the ability to check the IT temp via the app also. I have started using profiles more also. GMG WiFi is pretty damn nice!!

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I did a 17 lb brisket this past winter during a snow storm with the thermal blanket on. Started about 8 pm and set my alarm for 2 am. Just reach over and raised the temp up via the GMG app and went back to sleep. Like the ability to check the IT temp via the app also. I have started using profiles more also. GMG WiFi is pretty damn nice!!

Kind of curious how much more pellets you used in the winter vs summer? Debated getting one of those blankets, but the cost seemed just a bit high to me? What I did last winter was made a big Brisket/Pork Shoulder in early fall and then froze what we didn't eat and sampled over the winter.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
For the avid smoker in order to smoke year round, I recommend it. I don't ever take it off. With WiFi, you have the ability to calibrate and adjust temps, and set the pit for climate, so the colder it is out the pit is more aggressive to keep temps up. To be honest, I really haven't noticed a huge difference in usage.

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
Kind of curious how much more pellets you used in the winter vs summer? Debated getting one of those blankets, but the cost seemed just a bit high to me? What I did last winter was made a big Brisket/Pork Shoulder in early fall and then froze what we didn't eat and sampled over the winter.

I'm going to buy a thermal blanket, I just bought my pellet grill this spring so I haven't cooked in super cold weather. But from I have seen on other forums it helps. People also recommend you take it off in the summer. If you leave it on in the summer you will save on pellets. But in order to smoke food you need to actually burn pellets. So you will have more smoke with it off.

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
Nice! Using the pizza oven attachment thing?

No, we just use a pizza stone on top of the grill grates @450. I could see getting the pizza attachment some day. But we already had the pizza stone. So we have been trying different crust recipes with our current setup.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
No, we just use a pizza stone on top of the grill grates @450. I could see getting the pizza attachment some day. But we already had the pizza stone. So we have been trying different crust recipes with our current setup.
Buy 00 flour.
We use Kens Artisan Bread Cookbook recipe.

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
Got a really good deal on an entry level Traeger at Hy-Vee. The manager gave an additional deep discount on top of the good price.

We've had good luck with chicken

Burger....searing was an issue. The burger was hella juicy, but I need to experiment more with the sear
Add Grill Grates on top of the cooking rack. They hold heat and have more surface area. You get a better sear.

https://www.grillgrate.com

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Dang that's a lot of brisko. Looks amazing. Grill looks like it's been used for some time, good flavors coming out of that thing.
My wife asked me once if I should pressure wash the inside of the WSM and she got a nasty, nasty look from me.

Reactions: josh4cy

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Thinking about doing a trial run for thanksgiving and smoking a turkey, anyone had any experience?
Tentatively planning on following this outline as far as brine, time and temp:

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
If you brine, look as see if the label says anything about have any % of a solution of salt, spices added. This could lead to a salty tasting turkey. I will take apple slice and slide them under the skin and add onions, garlic, apples and even oranges in the body cavity. Another thing to try is to pour hot water over it prior to cooking as this will help get the skin crisper. Something I have picked up on doing chicken.

• Informative
Reactions: discydisc

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
If you brine, look as see if the label says anything about have any % of a solution of salt, spices added. This could lead to a salty tasting turkey. I will take apple slice and slide them under the skin and add onions, garlic, apples and even oranges in the body cavity. Another thing to try is to pour hot water over it prior to cooking as this will help get the skin crisper. Something I have picked up on doing chicken.
Agree about watching the salt. I use half the recommended amount when I brine. I also squeeze half a dozen of oranges and lemons into the brine and throw in the rind and pulp. The citric acid also acts as a tenderizer. I lube up the bird with olive oil, it crisps the skin.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Thinking about doing a trial run for thanksgiving and smoking a turkey, anyone had any experience?
Tentatively planning on following this outline as far as brine, time and temp:

If you spatchcock the turkey it will cook a little quicker and more even.

• Agree
Reactions: NickTheGreat